American Pledge?

It's all very interesting to me. I attended public school in Utah in the seventies and eighties and, while we learned the pledge (I believe in either first or second grade), we never said it daily...

I was born in Texas and I had no idea there was a Texas pledge until recently when a friend told me that her son said it every day at school.

I'll give you the Dr. Pepper but not the pork rinds. Those aren't really considered a native Texas thing. I think I'd substitute bbq brisket, Tex Mex or chicken fried steak.
I grew up here, too, and there was no Texas pledge when I was in school. It was added when I was in college, because by the time I began teaching 18 years ago, it was a requirement, along with a "moment of silence" which also didn't exist when I was growing up.

On Long Island we always said it everyday. My kids still do in public school. I know it is said before school events like chorus concerts as well.

I work in a private school and it is not done at all. I’m glad! I don’t see the point of it.

Because there's nothing better than teaching children to soullessly repeat an oath they most times don't even understand? One that was created to sell flags?

I homeschool and teach my daughter the pledge. We discuss what the words mean and read books and have history lessons about the meaning of the flag and the pledge, and the various customs around it. We also learn the national anthem and its meaning.

There is nothing soulless about it.

In our school district, the Pledge of Allegiance is recited every morning. The students are not required to participate nor do they even have to stand. However, they must be quite and respectful during that time.

When I was involved with the Parent Teacher Association (PTA), the meetings began with the Pledge.

Because there's nothing better than teaching children to soullessly repeat an oath they most times don't even understand?

You are correct that many students do not understand the Pledge. As educators it is our responsibility to teach what the Pledge stands for and also teach them the meaning of each word. I encourage parents to do the same at home.

It's said in my kids' schools. I don't know why people think it isn't. Last year at my daughter's spring concert, they did the Armed Forces medley and this older man next to me was saying "that is so wonderful, I thought they didn't do these songs anymore". I was about to say "WHO told you they weren't?"

Same...whenever I seem things on FB about the pledge not being said anymore I always so confused. All the schools my child has every attended says the pledge, as does every school of every child I personally know. :confused3

It angers me to see the posts on FB that insinuate that schools don't have the kids say the Pledge of Allegiance anymore. I taught in the public schools for the past 10 years, have lots of friends who are teachers in different systems, have lots of friends with kids in schools all across the country. Anytime I've asked, they all say their kids say the pledge at the start of the day, or that it's read over the loud speaker system, or some sort of saying the pledge. I think that these things are generated on FB to stir up divisiveness, to make the divide between "US" and "THEM" even wider... and that's the last thing we need in the USA right now.

I attended public school in NY and NJ. The Pledge was said every morning. When I was little in NY we had to stand for it later we were not forced to as religious views were taken into consideration. We also would do the Pledge during Assemblies as well as the sing the National Anthem and the Black National Anthem.

When I moved to NJ for Middle school and up the pledge was still done but also the school song in High School every morning.

My kids still attend public school in NJ and it is still done during morning announcements (though times of the day may vary school to school) usually they have children participate. My younger son got to do say the Pledge a few times over the loud speaker a few times in Kindergarten because he was one of the only kids who had no fear in volunteering...

Last edited:
This is what I said

I said you had oaths of allegiances.

The Pledge of Allegiance for the U.S.: "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

According to wiki the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance is said by:
Congressional sessions open with the recital of the Pledge, as do many government meetings at local levels, and meetings held by many private organizations. All states except Hawaii, Iowa, Vermont and Wyoming require a regularly-scheduled recitation of the pledge in the public schools, {{So there's the ultimate answer for the OP though it seems like upper level schools vary in saying it}} although the Supreme Court has ruled in West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette that students cannot be compelled to recite the Pledge, nor can they be punished for not doing so.[9] In a number of states, state flag pledges of allegiance are required to be recited after this.

Code of conduct: "should be rendered by standing at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. When not in uniform men should remove any non-religious headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should remain silent, face the flag, and render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces not in uniform and veterans may render the military salute in the manner provided for persons in uniform."

The Oath of Allegiance for Canada (and I believe either the same or similar to that of other British Commonwealths): "I, ____, do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors. So help me God."

The Oath of Allegiance for Canada according to wiki is said by:
Federal[edit]
Provincial[edit]
Territorial[edit]
Optional[edit]

So again:

*Normally I would not leave the links in but it was too much work lol*

Oh right we do have that. But it’s not something that regular citizens say in school or at a meeting like yours in the USA.

It’s a one time thing when enlisting or taking office.

Oh right we do have that. But it’s not something that regular citizens say in school or at a meeting like yours in the USA.

It’s a one time thing when enlisting or taking office.
Yeah that's what I was thinking when I was looking it up as it sounded like that. What I had said was "I would say who says the oaths of allegiances in other countries and how often it's said is different than in the U.S."

In your original post you said you've only heard of the American one. I was explaining the Pledge of Allegiance that exists in the U.S. is similar to Oaths of Allegiances that other countries have too in terms of its concept.

The concept of saying an allegiance to X isn't foreign (no pun intended) even to people outside the U.S. They are however utilized and said differently in terms of when and how much which was what I was saying. That's neither wrong nor right just different.

For example's sake the Canadian one isn't all that different from the U.S. one with the exception of who the allegiance is given and said to. Both use this similar enough formula:

For the U.S. one

I pledge allegiance to: the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands,

Religious reference: one Nation under God

Additional content (historical reasons): indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

For the Canadian one

"I, ____, {your name} do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to: Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors.

Religious reference: So help me God

****I'm using the Canada one because of the relevance to the discussion*****

Our elementary classrooms (K thru 5th) always started the day with the Pledge. Not sure why 6th on up didn't but never question it when I worked there.

In kindergarten or grade school. I know we said this a lot. Not sure if daily. Junior/ senior I believe it stopped. Funny thing I always heard “ for witches stand” not for which it stands. Thought if witches the whole time.

This is what I said

I said you had oaths of allegiances.

The Oath of Allegiance for Canada (and I believe either the same or similar to that of other British Commonwealths): "I, ____, do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors. So help me God."

The Oath of Allegiance for Canada according to wiki is said by:
Federal[edit]
Provincial[edit]
Territorial[edit]
Optional[edit]

So again:

*Normally I would not leave the links in but it was too much work lol*

OK, so that leaves about 32,000,000 of us that didn't know it existed! :lmao:

Since my friends, near and far, can tell you that I'm FB resistant (could take me 6 months to answer a FB private message- hullooooo that's why I have a phone?!?), I keep missing stuff.
Asked DGD if she says the pledge in school daily and she said no.

Since my friends, near and far, can tell you that I'm FB resistant (could take me 6 months to answer a FB private message- hullooooo that's why I have a phone?!?), I keep missing stuff.
Asked DGD if she says the pledge in school daily and she said no.
Does that mean the school does do the pledge, but SHE doesn't say it. Or does it mean it's not done at all in her school? There are many schools that, even though the pledge is recited daily, don't require everyone to say it. As long as they remain respectful of those who do...

Public school?

I teach at a public middle school and the kids say the pledge each day after announcements and a moment of silence. In my 18 years of saying the pledge, I’ve had one student respectfully sit down during it. Whenever I see that Facebook meme going around about gun shootings tied to not saying the pledge and not praying, I say that these people haven’t set foot in a public school lately. I see my Christian students pray around the flag pole. My Muslim students pray in the library. I see many students pray before eating their lunch. I see many students not praying. That’s the beauty of public education. Freedom for all.

I asked my high school daughter if they still have the pledge. Yes, every morning a student leads it over the intercom. Students stand and are respectful, but choose to say the pledge or not.

Dd's best friend is Islamic and she will say the pledge, too. Her dad is a retired US Navy service member.

And yes, prayer in many forms takes place in school. As long as there are students, there will be prayer. May just not public.

I'm sure there's always a 'Oh diety help me do well on this test.'

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter