American Pledge?

My 9th grader says they do the pledge every day over the loud speaker. They are encouraged but not required to stand but are asked to at least be quiet while it is being said. The National Anthem is done at big events especially sports.

recited over morning announcements. no requirements to participate. In fact, a teacher just got fired for trying to force a child to stand.

Pledge said is the original pledge, without the "Under God," which was a relatively recent addition in 1954.

Last edited:
Out of all of the states, a pledge to Texas is the only one that makes at least a tiny bit of sense, as it was its own country for a brief time.
I don't know...All of the former Confederate states were part of an alternate country once, but I don't think a pledge to them makes any more sense than a pledge for any other state.

The state pledge is just vanity on the part of state legislators.

Last edited:

In my state of Texas, all public schools are required to say a pledge to the USA, and a pledge to Texas. :rolleyes2
I was born in Texas and I had no idea there was a Texas pledge until recently when a friend told me that her son said it every day at school.

Does the Texas pledge mention allegiance to Dr. Pepper and Pork Rinds?
I'll give you the Dr. Pepper but not the pork rinds. Those aren't really considered a native Texas thing. I think I'd substitute bbq brisket, Tex Mex or chicken fried steak.

They still do it at our school and also at board meetings and some other things I attend- my daughter and I say it the way it was pre-1954 since we do not believe in the 2 words that they added in there, we just pause and restart once that part is done- should have left it alone and kept church and state separate even back in 1954.

You may be reading into something that just isn’t there. I only said state in my first post because someone mentioned a pledge to Texas. It would make as little sense to pledge to Manitoba.

I was not making an anti US dig, I’ve learned my lesson enough times to know better.

Last edited:

This is interesting. I assumed they did everywhere. My kid goes to catholic school he says it every morning with morning prayers. And the local radio station plays it each morning recording different elementary classes around the county, so I know they do it in all the schools around where I live.

I am 100% in agreement that we can disagree. This isn’t a US thing though, it’s a general thing. I am glad I’m Canadian but I can’t take credit for being born here.
The way I look at it is I feel lucky to be born here & proud that I choose to stay here. And for many of us, it’s not an accident we were born where we were born even if it wasn’t our own decision. My family has been in south Louisiana since they first came over as immigrants. I do feel proud of that family history & b/c of that made a conscious decision to stay here & have our child here to continue the legacy. We also plan to never leave unless there is some unforeseen apocalyptic scenario. I think it’s the commitment to the community despite its ups & downs that gives me the feeling of pride.

You may be reading into something that just isn’t there. I only said state in my first post because someone mentioned a pledge to Texas. It would make as little sense to pledge to Manitoba.

I was not making an anti US dig, I’ve learned my lesson enough times to know better.
I was speaking in reference to your comment about saying a pledge to a state you were born in.

I didn't get your logic in terms of it being ok to say the national anthem for Canada that you did growing up, despite that also being random that you were born there, and someone saying a pledge from a state they were born in much less any pledge of allegiance.

I'm not even saying I really get the pledges for individuals states, I mean I get it but I don't get it. My state doesn't have a pledge but it does have a state motto (as all do with the exception of a few U.S. territories) which is Ad astra per aspera and means to the stars through difficulties. It's well known to us at least and taught in schools and is a homage to not only our pioneering spirit of our early settlers, but also is a reference to the seven year struggle to make the Territory a state during the Civil War time and the battles fought as the state was a free state bordering a slave state.

But I do understand what the other poster means by their statement that you quoted. And in the practical real life sense most people aren't taking the pledges in the same light as the national anthem, etc.

I looked at some of the pledges listed in the link the person quoted and not all are what one might thing. Oklahoma for example is "I salute the flag of the State of Oklahoma. Its symbols of peace unite all people." Peace and uniting all people sounds pretty nice. Michigan's is ""I pledge allegiance to the flag of Michigan, and to the state for which it stands, two beautiful peninsulas united by a bridge of steel, where equal opportunity and justice to all is our ideal." Equal opportunity and justice to all is also nice.

Me personally I would view most of the pledges and the mottos as simply a way to bring together citizens of each state.

But yes of course I could be reading something that isn't there, wouldn't be the first time wouldn't be the last :D:-)

I'll give you the Dr. Pepper but not the pork rinds. Those aren't really considered a native Texas thing. I think I'd substitute bbq brisket, Tex Mex or chicken fried steak.

Highest per-capita consumption of pork rinds is in Texas, which is why Frito Lay opened their plant in Plano. I can't argue the native Texan part because the large Hispanic population certainly would be a factor.

Many Texans are very proud to be Texans no matter how they became that way. I see no harm in a pledge and also see no harm in not participating. It's just words.

I'll give you the Dr. Pepper
Dr Pepper is my fav pop. I'd say it's pretty popular here too. There was this restaurant that opened another location here when their only other one was on the other side of the state line. Within the first week we were told they had ran out of Dr Pepper!? The waitress told us they had underestimated just how much people like it in my area and would make sure for the future that they had ample amounts of it lol.

Highest per-capita consumption of pork rinds is in Texas, which is why Frito Lay opened their plant in Plano. I can't argue the native Texan part because the large Hispanic population certainly would be a factor.

That’s fascinating. You learn something new everyday. I was born and raised here and I never hear about pork rinds or see people eating them in the city or when I’m visiting my kinfolk in the country.

That’s fascinating. You learn something new everyday. I was born and raised here and I never hear about pork rinds or see people eating them in the city or when I’m visiting my kinfolk in the country.
I married a Texan. She grew up in Amarillo and Laredo.

My 9th grader says they do the pledge every day over the loud speaker. They are encouraged but not required to stand but are asked to at least be quiet while it is being said. The National Anthem is done at big events especially sports.

This is how it is done in our school district. Middle DD was just saying tonight that her homwroom teacher is the only one in the room who actually says it and he messes it up all the time. According to her he moves on to “liberty and justice for all” way too soon. Not sure her accounting of that is accurate....hoping her accounting of that isn’t accurate.

State pledges would vary, the Pledge of Allegiance that most of us use is from 1892 though it was not formerly adopted by Congress until 1942 with "under God" added in the mid-1950s.

Origins of what we say goes further back than 1892 by a previous person who was a Civil War veteran.

1776 is around the American Revolution. (ETA: The Pledge of Allegiance is more appropriate to post Civil War times because of bringing together our country. I believe 14 states didn't officially become states until after the Civil War was over. Other states joined as a state during the Civil War as a result of the Civil War. And other states were formerly states much earlier.)

I really don't know if other countries have formal pledges TBH but other countries have oaths of allegiances and constitutional monarchies would have oaths to the monarch, same with Commonwealths where instead of allegiance to the country or state or Constitution is not done but is to the monarchy. For the U.S. our Pledge of Allegiance is just an allegiance to something different than other countries in the world and I would say who says the oaths of allegiances in other countries and how often it's said is different than in the U.S.

Canada is a constitutional monarchy and part of the Commonwealth and we don't have an pledge. Do other members of the British Commonwealth?

My kids say it here in upstate NY. Back in TX they said both the national Pledge, and the Texas state one. I thought that was overkill.

Canada is a constitutional monarchy and part of the Commonwealth and we don't have an pledge. Do other members of the British Commonwealth?
This is what I said

I really don't know if other countries have formal pledges TBH but other countries have oaths of allegiances and constitutional monarchies would have oaths to the monarch, same with Commonwealths where instead of allegiance to the country or state or Constitution is not done but is to the monarchy.

I said you had oaths of allegiances.

The Pledge of Allegiance for the U.S.: "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

According to wiki the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance is said by:
Congressional sessions open with the recital of the Pledge, as do many government meetings at local levels, and meetings held by many private organizations. All states except Hawaii, Iowa, Vermont and Wyoming require a regularly-scheduled recitation of the pledge in the public schools, {{So there's the ultimate answer for the OP though it seems like upper level schools vary in saying it}} although the Supreme Court has ruled in West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette that students cannot be compelled to recite the Pledge, nor can they be punished for not doing so.[9] In a number of states, state flag pledges of allegiance are required to be recited after this.

Code of conduct: "should be rendered by standing at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. When not in uniform men should remove any non-religious headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should remain silent, face the flag, and render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces not in uniform and veterans may render the military salute in the manner provided for persons in uniform."

The Oath of Allegiance for Canada (and I believe either the same or similar to that of other British Commonwealths): "I, ____, do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors. So help me God."

The Oath of Allegiance for Canada according to wiki is said by:
Federal[edit]
Provincial[edit]
Territorial[edit]
Optional[edit]

So again:
For the U.S. our Pledge of Allegiance is just an allegiance to something different than other countries in the world and I would say who says the oaths of allegiances in other countries and how often it's said is different than in the U.S.

*Normally I would not leave the links in but it was too much work lol*

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!