Amazon Gift Card Theft.....Could Use Advice UPDATE PAGE 4

I thought that opening someone else's mail, which this person did, was a federal offense.

From google "It's a federal offense to open mail that doesn't belong to you. If you do it intentionally, you could be looking at a $250,000 fine and up to five years in a federal prison."

The person will most likely be charged with a federal offense. USPS does not play with this, they will presses charges even if the person's who mail was stolen does not.

OK, police report is filed. They have already spoken to the post office and obtained the GPS information from the delivery. They have to subpoena the records from Amazon, so that's next. I probably won't get my $100 back, but I feel better knowing they're looking into it.

The USPS, a government agency, has to follow specific protocol. They probably couldn't act further until you filed an official police report. Good for you. :thumbsup2

Glad you did this OP. They brought this on themselves. Any decent person would have driven to your house and stuck it in your mailbox or at least returned it to the post office to deliver correctly. Let us know what happens.

Is there a teen in that house? I can't wrap my head around an adult doing this (although yes, I know there are rotten people out there...) because it would be so EASY to trace. And, therefore, just plain stupid. A teen, on the other hand, I could see looking at the package, seeing it's from Amazon and making the boneheaded decision to open and use it....because teens aren't known for well thought through decisions. Not that this "excuses" the behavior.....but it might explain it.

Is there a teen in that house? I can't wrap my head around an adult doing this (although yes, I know there are rotten people out there...) because it would be so EASY to trace. And, therefore, just plain stupid. A teen, on the other hand, I could see looking at the package, seeing it's from Amazon and making the boneheaded decision to open and use it....because teens aren't known for well thought through decisions. Not that this "excuses" the behavior.....but it might explain it.

That's exactly what I was thinking too. It at least would make sense if it was a teen. They might not realize how easily traceable a crime like this would be. According to the sheriff yesterday, they are moving forward with the subpoena for Amazon's records. That should be all the information that they need - Who used the card and where the items were shipped. I'm not sure how long it will take to get the subpoena or how long it will take Amazon to release the info. I'll just be glad when all of this is done.

That's what I was thinking. Don't you have to add the gc to your account before you can use it? How on Earth did anyone think they could get away with it? It's not like another gc where you could walk into a store and use it anonymously.

That's exactly what I was thinking too. It at least would make sense if it was a teen. They might not realize how easily traceable a crime like this would be. According to the sheriff yesterday, they are moving forward with the subpoena for Amazon's records. That should be all the information that they need - Who used the card and where the items were shipped. I'm not sure how long it will take to get the subpoena or how long it will take Amazon to release the info. I'll just be glad when all of this is done.
I am amazed the police are actually investigating.

I had my identity stolen, a corporation registered in my name, a merchant account opened in the companies name, and over $70,000 dollars in stolen credit card charges run through the account. I struggled to even get the police to take a report.

Just remember that everything you have learned from TV about the speed with which investigations/trials occur is completely made up and dramatized for TV. The wheels of justice move slow.

I am amazed the police are actually investigating.

I had my identity stolen, a corporation registered in my name, a merchant account opened in the companies name, and over $70,000 dollars in stolen credit card charges run through the account. I struggled to even get the police to take a report.

Just remember that everything you have learned from TV about the speed with which investigations/trials occur is completely made up and dramatized for TV. The wheels of justice move slow.

I bet that was a HUGE mess to clean up! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I agree - I won't be surprised if this takes a long time to resolve, if ever. I'm so impressed with our sheriff's office - I'm sure they have a lot bigger fish to fry than my $100 gift card theft, and they took the time to look into it.

Call me crazy, but it wouldn't have even occurred to me to get the police involved over $100. I'd take it up with Amazon, since the courier they chose to use to deliver my order wasn't reliable. If Amazon wasn't budging, maybe I'd then go to the post office. But to get the police involved, disrupt the peace in my neighborhood, and piss off a neighbor that we know is a bad person and could potentially be vindictive... not worth it over $100, IMO. But I do (genuinely) hope it works out for OP.

Call me crazy, but it wouldn't have even occurred to me to get the police involved over $100. I'd take it up with Amazon, since the courier they chose to use to deliver my order wasn't reliable. If Amazon wasn't budging, maybe I'd then go to the post office. But to get the police involved, disrupt the peace in my neighborhood, and piss off a neighbor that we know is a bad person and could potentially be vindictive... not worth it over $100, IMO. But I do (genuinely) hope it works out for OP.
I can understand the concern over retaliation and do under the small community aspect.

That being said personally speaking if directed to file a report, which the OP was by USPS after dealing with USPS and Amazon and Chase first, I would likely do it. I would feel absolutely terrible at the knowledge that this could have and still can happen/ed to someone else.

It may not be an Amazon gift card but it could be other gift cards, it could be other people's packages stolen or opened and used if delivered to another address, this incident could just be another one in a list of others, it could be the very first time it ever happened but if nothing was ever done about it that could embolden whoever did it.

It's not the amount perse to me it's that this person did it. Whether it was a $25 Amazon gift card or $50 or $100+ or not, whoever did it still opened mail not belonging to them, still spent $ on a gift card that didn't belong to them.

So in this case I'd file the report and let it be handled from there though yes all that is personally speaking.

Were the police able to get the persons name/address from the PO? If so I wonder why they couldn't just go up there and say "here is the deal - you cough back up the $100 you stole or we will pursue this as a criminal charge." I guess at a certain point they have to follow a particular guideline...For what it is worth, I'd have filed the report if that was my only recourse as well.

Good luck to the OP.

I get what you are saying, but wrong is wrong. She tried to work with Amazon but since the card was used already they can't help. She then tried the cc company and they could not help since it was a gc. She then tried the post office who advised her to go to the police as that is the only way they could open an investigation and help. Looking the other way and just letting is slide isn't going help anyone, and why should she just let $100 go and let a dishonest person take advantage of her. Just because she might piss them off? Well they pissed her off first. It's only letting the cheaters win.

I get what you are saying, but wrong is wrong. She tried to work with Amazon but since the card was used already they can't help. She then tried the cc company and they could not help since it was a gc. She then tried the post office who advised her to go to the police as that is the only way they could open an investigation and help. Looking the other way and just letting is slide isn't going help anyone, and why should she just let $100 go and let a dishonest person take advantage of her. Just because she might piss them off? Well they pissed her off first. It's only letting the cheaters win.

Good point.

I can easily see an adult doing this. Adults commit these kind of crimes every day. There is a segment of the population where it just isn't an issue to take advantage of a situation.

I agree that it would have been easy to look the other way and just move on, but the USPS, Chase, and Amazon all told me it was really necessary to file a police report. When I spoke to the sheriff, I apologized for getting him involved over $100, and he reminded me this wasn't about $100, it was about mail fraud and theft. I'm trying to remember that because I'm the type to just brush it off and move on. The police said our world doesn't operate on "finders keepers" and this person needs to know that.

I do feel weird getting the police involved. I'm sure they have much more pressing matters to deal with than my gift card!

I do feel weird getting the police involved. I'm sure they have much more pressing matters to deal with than my gift card!

No, I don't feel that way as a former law enforcement officer. The main function of police is to deal with crime crime. The theft of your card is a crime - solving crime is their primary mission.

Also, for you, losing $100 may not be the end for you but for others it may be a life changing amount of money. It might be the difference between lights on and lights off for someone. No criminal should be allowed to steal. Their next victim might be more vulnerable.

I don't disagree that the thief was in the wrong, should be held accountable, and that the OP deserves some resolution. But to have charges pressed and then live looking over my shoulder isn't worth the loss of $100 to me. I still think the OP should push back on Amazon - even if the gift card was used, as the merchant and in the name of customer service, I would think they'd want to do something to help OP since none of this is the fault of the OP. Police just escalates it to another level which would make me nervous - maybe my neighbors are sketchier than others and I'm jaded by it. LOL!

I agree that it would have been easy to look the other way and just move on, but the USPS, Chase, and Amazon all told me it was really necessary to file a police report. When I spoke to the sheriff, I apologized for getting him involved over $100, and he reminded me this wasn't about $100, it was about mail fraud and theft. I'm trying to remember that because I'm the type to just brush it off and move on. The police said our world doesn't operate on "finders keepers" and this person needs to know that.

I don't disagree with any of this. But for me, I guess I'm less concerned about the police/investigation, and more concerned about the fact that you still have to live near this person after this is all said and done. If someone is bold enough to steal a gift card that can be easily tracked, they'd be vindictive enough to steal packages, cause vandalism, or whatever else as retaliation. Especially if this results in charges and lawyer fees.

I don't disagree with any of this. But for me, I guess I'm less concerned about the police/investigation, and more concerned about the fact that you still have to live near this person after this is all said and done. If someone is bold enough to steal a gift card that can be easily tracked, they'd be vindictive enough to steal packages, cause vandalism, or whatever else as retaliation. Especially if this results in charges and lawyer fees.
So no one should ever report this type of crime?

Respectfully IMO it's like you're coming off with scare tactics to the OP. She filed the police report it's done and over with. No sense IMO to try and come up with all the what ifs you can think of that your 'sketchier than others' neighbors could do. Sounds like if I want to commit this type of crime (which I would never do) I should move next to someone like you (and I don't mean that in a mean way). I'd get away with it time and time again since you wouldn't pursue it.

So no one should ever report this type of crime?

I never once said that. My personal opinion is that I would not have filed a police report against a neighbor I don't know over $100. Every scenario is different.

Respectfully IMO it's like you're coming off with scare tactics to the OP. She filed the police report it's done and over with. No sense IMO to try and come up with all the what ifs you can think of that your 'sketchier than others' neighbors could do. Sounds like if I want to commit this type of crime (which I would never do) I should move next to someone like you (and I don't mean that in a mean way).

This is a discussion forum. I'm discussing my opinion of what I would have done in this situation. I don't mean to scare the OP now that its done and over with, but to be fair, the OP brought up the retaliation concern in the first place. We already know this neighbor is a sketchy one to have done something like this, and the fact that retaliation crossed the OP's mind in the first place says something as well. If running that risk is worth it to the OP over $100 (which is what this boils down to), then so be it. As I said, every scenario is different - and from person to person, too. Clearly a lot of people think pursuing this is worthwhile, which I respect. But being a discussion forum, I'm just offering an opposing view.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter