Amazon Gift Card credit - translate to Disney gift cards?

squirk

Saw what you did and knows who you are.
I have a very large Amazon store credit built up - a combination of gift cards and refunds applied to my account. I really don't have anything I particularly need or want to spend this credit on at the moment.

I also have a final payment for a Disney cruise coming up. The dollar value of the Amazon credit is probably more useful to me right now in paying the cruise off than anything else.

Since
1.) Amazon itself doesn't sell Disney gift cards;​
2.) the availability of Disney cards via 3rd-party resellers on Amazon is hit-or-miss; and​
3.) the fee-free gift cards you can buy on Amazon (e.g., Lowe's) often cannot be used to buy other gift cards,​

is there any other way for me to leverage this credit to pay off my cruise with a Disney Gift Card?

I guess I could just use the Amazon credit to buy those generic Vanilla Visa gift cards and pay off the cruise that way, but it seems inefficient to pay those $6 fees just to activate each of the cards.

Any other ideas?

Last edited:
I don't know if you can use Amazon credit to buy Visa/MC gift cards. You can for other gift cards. I also wouldn't want to have to eat the loss of that activation fee.

Personally, I'd use the credit on other 3rd party gift cards that I would use in everyday life- whole foods, Neftlix, Starbucks, Lowe's, etc....

I also wouldn't want to have to eat the loss of that activation fee.

Personally, I'd use the credit on other 3rd party gift cards that I would use in everyday life- whole foods, Neftlix, Starbucks, Lowe's, etc....

Thanks. Yeah, honestly, the other gift cards that Amazon sells aren't particularly useful to me. Not in the amounts I'm talking about.

If I could use the credit on Visa gift cards (and I will verify), maybe I could use them at Sam's to buy discounted Disney gift cards, where the discount will offset the Visa activation fees.

I don't know why I'm being so miserly about this.....

Thanks. Yeah, honestly, the other gift cards that Amazon sells aren't particularly useful to me. Not in the amounts I'm talking about.

If I could use the credit on Visa gift cards (and I will verify), maybe I could use them at Sam's to buy discounted Disney gift cards, where the discount will offset the Visa activation fees.

I don't know why I'm being so miserly about this.....
You could always try buying one and see if it plays nice with the Sam’s payment system.

You could always try buying one and see if it plays nice with the Sam’s payment system.

I have successfully used AmEx gift cards to buy Disney gift cards at Sam's in the past, so I am hoping the same would apply to the Visa.

But you are right - better safe than sorry. Thanks!

If you could get an AmEx or Visa on Amazon, couldn't you just use that directly to pay off your cruise? You wouldn't need to turn it into a Disney card, would you?

If you could get an AmEx or Visa on Amazon, couldn't you just use that directly to pay off your cruise? You wouldn't need to turn it into a Disney card, would you?

Even if Amazon lets me use store credit for those cards, they (the cards) cost anywhere between $4-$6/each to activate.

I know I can use the Amazon credit to buy the Best Buy or Lowe's cards with no activation fees, but those stores don't let you use their gift cards to buy other gift cards.

Sam’s offers discounted Disney gift cards, so I think OP was thinking of a way to offset the activation fee. But yet, you should be able to use it to pay off the cruise directly.

Sam’s offers discounted Disney gift cards, so I think OP was thinking of a way to offset the activation fee. But yet, you should be able to use it to pay off the cruise directly.

Exactly. I did some quick cowboy math, and using the Visas to buy the Disney cards at Sam’s would be pretty much a “wash.”

Unfortunately, @gottalovepluto was right. I can’t use the store credit to buy Visa gift cards. And neither Best Buy nor Lowe’s (whose cards I can buy with the credit) will let you use their gift cards to buy Disney gift cards.

So I guess I am stuck.

Exactly. I did some quick cowboy math, and using the Visas to buy the Disney cards at Sam’s would be pretty much a “wash.”

Unfortunately, @gottalovepluto was right. I can’t use the store credit to buy Visa gift cards. And neither Best Buy nor Lowe’s (whose cards I can buy with the credit) will let you use their gift cards to buy Disney gift cards.

So I guess I am stuck.
Lately I’ve been ordering toilet paper and paper towels from Amazon, I’m sure you can find staples like that. When you do you can add the money you would have spent on groceries to your Disney budget instead.

Lately I’ve been ordering toilet paper and paper towels from Amazon, I’m sure you can find staples like that. When you do you can add the money you would have spent on groceries to your Disney budget instead.

Thx. Yeah, I think that is what I am going to wind up having to do. I would have preferred a direct swap of the credit for Disney cards, but #firstworldproblems.

If you truly feel like you are stuck with an Amazon gift card that you won't use, I would just eat the $5 activation and buy a Visa gift card.

OP can’t. Amazon will not allow you to buy a VGC with Amazon gift cards/credits.

I didn't realized that. I just skimmed the posts where it was suggested and didn't even see the post where it said you can't use gift cards to buy the Visa cards until I just went back and read more carefully.

Okay so there is a way to work around the can’t use Amazon GC to buy gift cards. And I just double checked to see that this still works. And as far as I can tell this is still a thing judging by a quick check on the Amazon app.

There’s at least one go around that I know of: the physical Safeway gift cards.

The physical Safeway GCs do let you use the Amazon GC money to buy them. And as far as I can tell and remember from when I used it last time there’s no fee. So the amount you pay is the amount that gets on the card.

Get the physical Safeway GC and use that to buy the Disney GC. Yes the Safeway GC can be used to get other GCs.

Is it a bit of a nuisance to take that many steps? Probably. But I had zero issues doing this to get 300ish dollars in GC money to pay for something I had been saving up for.

I suspect if Safeway let’s you pay there’s probably a couple others out there but I have no clue who. And if you don’t have a Safeway near you, sorry not sure how to help.

For the record I bought GameStop GCs with the Amazon GCs. Maybe it would be different with Disney ones but I can’t see why.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!