Amazon Alexa on Disney WiFi

WDW-BWV

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have any experience in bringing along and Amazon Alexa in connecting it to Disney Wi-Fi to use in the room during your stay?

Brought my echo dot last March and it worked fine. Takes a bit more f effort to connect to the WiFi but nothing too bad. Planning on bringing it along on future trips - nice to have for white noise too!

I’ll admit I’m unfamiliar with all the capabilities of Alexa, Echo Dot, etc. but am interested to learn. What do they do for you when you’re on vacation?

I’ll admit I’m unfamiliar with all the capabilities of Alexa, Echo Dot, etc. but am interested to learn. What do they do for you when you’re on vacation?
How I use mine while on travel or simply away from my home:

a) Pandora. I enjoy streaming my favorite music as constant background in my 'space' (home, car, timeshare). I prefer running Pandora from an Echo device than from my cell phone app as the Echo can process verbal commands to Skip, Thumbs Up/Down, switch to new station, etc.
b) "Drop In" (open a live, 2-way audio stream) to my other devices at home. Occasionally, if I'm away from the house for the day, I will Drop-In with the parrot and know he is OK from the tone of his voice. (If I'm on vacation the parrot is at his kennel.)
c) Engage with SmartHome features. Control my lights, irrigation (etc) remotely.
d) Ask it random questions just like I do at home.
e) Run timers (Kitchen helper!) or set Reminders.
f) Read an audiobook (Amazon Prime/Kindle/library) or Bible.
g) And more. I've simply grown used to having one nearby!

I travel with an Echo Dot and MiFi hotspot.

Adding to my prior post, although neither travel nor timeshare related: I found it hugely comforting to run Pandora through the night last night.

Due to the dangerous weather conditions in SoCal, our area's power had been out since mid-morning and, with very little moonlight, things were extremely dark. I am home alone, in remote and rugged backcountry. I ran my generator for a few hours in early evening to take a shower, top off my water barrels/buckets/pails/troughs, run some irrigation and recharge battery devices. As I turned in, I started Pandora from my cell phone thinking, "the phone's battery might be drained by morning ... but I'll enjoy the music through the night." Gladly, the phone still had 60%+ battery come morning ... and yes, I thoroughly enjoyed hearing my familiar music through the dark, dark night.

I think this need (to hear music through the night) is something my Mother started for me. She would play Disney soundtracks on a record player at bedtime. When we moved "up" to a home with whole-house intercom, she'd run Christian radio all day long through the entire house. I now crave hymns, classical and worship music all day ... and all night. Phew, quite thankful for Pandora ... be it via Echo or my phone! Thankful for morning today! Might have power restored before evening ... might. Here's hoping!

Sorry for the loosely related rabbit trail ... ;-)

Adding to my prior post, although neither travel nor timeshare related: I found it hugely comforting to run Pandora through the night last night.

Due to the dangerous weather conditions in SoCal, our area's power had been out since mid-morning and, with very little moonlight, things were extremely dark. I am home alone, in remote and rugged backcountry. I ran my generator for a few hours in early evening to take a shower, top off my water barrels/buckets/pails/troughs, run some irrigation and recharge battery devices. As I turned in, I started Pandora from my cell phone thinking, "the phone's battery might be drained by morning ... but I'll enjoy the music through the night." Gladly, the phone still had 60%+ battery come morning ... and yes, I thoroughly enjoyed hearing my familiar music through the dark, dark night.

I think this need (to hear music through the night) is something my Mother started for me. She would play Disney soundtracks on a record player at bedtime. When we moved "up" to a home with whole-house intercom, she'd run Christian radio all day long through the entire house. I now crave hymns, classical and worship music all day ... and all night. Phew, quite thankful for Pandora ... be it via Echo or my phone! Thankful for morning today! Might have power restored before evening ... might. Here's hoping!

Sorry for the loosely related rabbit trail ... ;-)

Thanks for the information. Sending sincere best wishes that your power is restored soon (I’ve been through several prolonged power outages myself), and especially that the weather improves and the fires are put out soon.

Still w/out power (now on day 3) ... but checking in to report how I've used the Echo-ecosystem during the outage. While away from the house running errands, I've been able to determine "power on/off" status of the house through the Alexa app on my phone. If the house has no power, I cannot "drop in" on any of the Echo devices located there. This has been a better predictor/status than watching SDG&E's outage map. LOL

Still w/out power (now on day 3) ... but checking in to report how I've used the Echo-ecosystem during the outage. While away from the house running errands, I've been able to determine "power on/off" status of the house through the Alexa app on my phone. If the house has no power, I cannot "drop in" on any of the Echo devices located there. This has been a better predictor/status than watching SDG&E's outage map. LOL

I wish the DIS Boards had a Dislike button!! Sorry you're still in the dark...and the other news re the fires is horrendous and sad.

I bring my spot to Disney every trip. I appreciate having her there.
I use her for:
* weather
* alarm clock / reminder clock
* white noise for sleeping
* random questions
* drop in (I have a pet cam)

I prefer the spot for travel over the dot as it's easier to hook up to wifi. No need to use your phone and play with settings. Just click on the spot's screen and choose the guest wifi and your all done. Although I did have to change her location before she gave me the correct weather. And it took me a while to change her back when I got home so I had the wrong weather at home. :-D

Brought my echo dot last March and it worked fine. Takes a bit more f effort to connect to the WiFi but nothing too bad. Planning on bringing it along on future trips - nice to have for white noise too!

Spot is better for travel - easier to connect to random wifi. You pay extra though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter