Amazing Halloween Trip -Highs and Lows

Megara84

Earning My Ears
This isn't a full trip report because I forgot to take any notes but I thought I could post a highs and lows, I hope that's okay!

We were away for six days and it was really six days of highs. We had so much fun my stomach hurt from laughing and our legs ached from all the walking. It was probably the best holiday of my life I and could have cried at the thought of going back to work last week.

I won't dwell on the Paris part too much as I know the Disney part is the most interesting for everyone.

So, here in no particular order, are the highs:

Paris:
All of it. It was just amazing! The weather was fantastic - cold and sunny, just wonderfully autumnal. We walked for miles everyday, saw all the sights and some beautiful art. We went out for dinner and drinks every night; Bofinger, Le Relais de Venise, Harry's New York Bar, various cafes for carafes of wine. I want to go back now!

Arriving at Disneyland:
The last time we went to Disneyland (my first time) we tried to get the RER from Gard du Nord and it was a bit of a disaster. The trains were down and there was no way to get there other than by taxi, which was about €90. The worst part was that the driver wouldn't take us all the way to Disneyland so dropped us off at the toll entrance. We walked for about 20 minutes along the main road and across the car park before eventually arriving in the park. It was hilarious but not the most exciting way to arrive. This time the trains ran perfectly and I got to experience that brilliant moment when you come through the station and see the park for the first time!

Halloween:
The decorations at Halloween are incredible! I think it helped that the weather was great when we were there as well and the colour of the leaves on the trees really complimented all the pumpkins! I'm convinced that Dis have done that on purpose. I loved seeing the characters that are around at Halloween as well. We didn't queue to see any because I feel strangely shy around them but it was amazing to see Jack Skellington just standing there and I really love watching while the little ones meet their favourite characters, it makes me cry every time.

Dreams:
Another guaranteed cry fest for me. Literally from the first tinkles of music I have a lump in my throat. I have to confess that although I saw it last time I was there I may possibly have been a teeeeeny bit tipsy (blame king ludwig's happy hour! I'm just a sucker for a cheap stein). As a result my memories of Dreams weren't as clear as they could have been so it was lovely watching it again with absolutely no alcohol in my at all. It's just so friggin' magical! Well done, Disney. Well done.

Atmosphere:
It was rammed! Like being on oxford street half an hour before the shops shut on Christmas Eve. We were prepared for this though so it wasn't a problem. Having so many people there also made for such a great atmosphere! So many families and groups of friends running around and having fun, it was impossible not to join in.

Sequoia Lodge:
A cosy and twinkly lodge that makes you feel like you're in the middle of a forest. Just perfect for an autumnal getaway. We didn't spend a huge amount of time there but we had a drink in the bar in the evening and it was lovely and warm to come back to after being in the parks all day. Full disclosure, sequoia lodge will appear in the low section as well but that's really only a small thing and it was an issue with a staff member not the hotel.

Halloween soirée:
SO MUCH FUN. We basically did two full days in the park on 31st. We arrived at 8:30 am and didn't leave until 1am. We had an hour and a half in the middle of the day to check into our room but apart from that it was non stop and totally worth it. We didn't dress up in the end and really wish we had because so many people did and they really went all out. There were so many tiny super heroes falling asleep on their parents shoulders by the end of the night, it was so sweet. The decorations around the islands of adventure were also amazing and the dance party was great. We didn't join in as it was very much something for teens/early twenties but Disney did so well to create a party atmosphere for all demographics. We'd definitely do it again but perhaps at the end of the holiday instead as hitting the parks so hard on the first day, particularly after three very walky days in Paris, was super tiring and we were like zombies the next day (made it for EMH though because we're pretty much superheroes).

Blue Lagoon and Pirates of the Caribbean:
Both were closed last time I was there and I love them a lot. I was unaware of the (admittedly very small) drops the first time I went on and they really caught me off guard! We had an excellent meal there and some lovely cocktails. We'll definitely be going back next time.

Late breakfast:
We stole a very good idea from someone else on the dibb and decided to have a late breakfast after EMH. It worked perfectly! Which I'm partly pleased about because when we told the cast member at check in that we wanted breakfast from 10-11 he looked at us like we were crazy. We showed him though! It meant that we could roll out of bed, not have to worry about eating early when we weren't hungry and then have a big breakfast that kept us full (ish) until dinner. Essentially we avoided having to spend €2000 on lunch, which is handy.

Autopia:
Again a first for me and, as I don't drive in the real world, hugely exciting. I mean, almost overwhelmingly exciting. It's a lot harder than it looks as well so all those little ones zipping around like it's no big deal are clearly potential racing car drivers.

Sort of low:

Sequoia lodge
We had a few problems with the hotel. I'd never stayed here before and was looking forward to it so much. The decor inside is gorgeous and so cosy, I love the all the fairy lights every where. We just had a very old and tired room, with broken plug sockets and a broken lock. When we tried to talk to a cast member about it she was so rude! And I don't mean rude by disney standards, I mean straight up rude. The worst part was when she started talking about us in French to someone on the phone, not realised that one of us could speak French. She was not showering us with compliments. It did ruin the hotel for us a little if I'm honest and we had a slightly grumpy half an hour when we were plotting how best to complain. But then we realised that complaining then and there wouldn't make things better and would cause us more anguish. So we left it and resolved to write an email when we got home.

Silver Spur:
I was pretty disappointed by this meal. It was lunch on our last day and last year it was our absolute favourite meal. This time is was just a bit meh. The Caesar salad was way too anchovy-ish and a bit sad looking and the steak was so sinewy. The pudding was the most ridiculous part though. I ordered the fruit salad and a swear to god it was a tin of delmonte fruit salad arranged sort of nicely on a plate. The cast members were lovely though and we were on the free meal plan so it didn't seem worth complaining. I tried to mention that the steak was very chewy and not a great cut but the waitress didn't understand and I get hugely flustered and sweaty when I try to complain about anything so I just went bright red and left it. I'm sure others have had lovely meals here though and that we just had an off day.

And that's it for the lows. As I said we had so much fun and are currently trying to talk ourselves out of going again in February....

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review with us! It sounds like a truly magical trip!

We are planning our first trip to Europe and DLP next summer, and your review has definitely added to our excitement! :banana:

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review with us! It sounds like a truly magical trip!

We are planning our first trip to Europe and DLP next summer, and your review has definitely added to our excitement! :banana:

Oh I'm so happy it has! We really did have the best time. It was incredibly busy but you're still in Disneyland so can't really complain!

Lovely highs and lows - sounds like you had a fantastic time. Well done making it for EMH after being out so late :thumbsup2

We always do EMH first too and then back for breakfast - so relaxing and never busy.

Thanks for posting :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!