Amalfi Coast, Italy anyone?

crazymama

DIS Veteran
Has anyone got any tips of where to stay? I am planning a trip there for May, 2019 and there are so many towns to choose from. They all look great but I am determined to make an informed choice! We will be spending about 6 nights... preferably in one place with daytrips. Thanks for any help out there!

We went a year and a half ago, it was a fabulous trip, and went with a tour of all adults. We started out in Sorrento, it was a nice town, but busy. With a nice, center square with restaurants and shops. We had a free day, so we took a taxi to Positano, loved it! And it was the first introduction to beautiful Amalfi Coast. Spent the day there, and took the boat back to Sorrento. So I think Sorrento would be a nice choice to stay and explore the Coast from there. My biggest tip is if you're on a bus or van looking down and starting from Sorrento, sit on the RIGHT hand side. Thats where the amazing view is. And it sure is truly amazing. Very winding! But it didn't bother me, we were high up in a bus. Southern Italy is where you'll get the best cannolis, oh have one or two, they are so good. And I brought home two big bags of the lemon hard candies you'll see everywhere. They have a burst of lemon in the middle. I wish I bought more. Have fun planning!

We loved Sorrento--the entire city smells of the lemon groves that are all around. We also enjoyed Positano, if you want to stay in a cute little town.

FTR, I sat on the left side of the bus and refused to get off for the scenic overlooks, but I'm afraid of heights. I will say, the Amalfi Coast has earned it's reputation for being one of the most beautiful places in the world--it's absolutely stunning.

We stayed in sorrento as well. From there, we were able to access Capri, Pompei, Herculaneum. In Capri, we rented a ski boat and went around the island.
I loved sorrento. Such a cute town to walk around and the locals were friendly.

Sorrento is the start of the Amalfi Coast and Salerno is the end, so either of those would make a decent base. Amalfi is in the middle so that would also make a decent base. We stayed in Positano and loved it. Positano is basically a vertical town so you will always be going up or down so it's not the best if you have mobility challenged travelers. We chose a hotel near to the beach level and so the drop off was well above that and you then have to navigate through town with your luggage, or you can pay porters to do so. I loved the hotel we stayed at there (Buca di Bacco) and would stay there again in a heartbeat. You can most easily get to Capri from Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi, and Salerno if that's important to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!