Am I Up to the Challenge of the 2014 F&WF? Bring on the Food!

Wow! So happy your day ended on a great note!

I tried to get reservations for both Boma and Jiko for that night (our first night), and was unsuccessful. DH talked me out of trying again, saying we'd all be too tired from traveling to enjoy it.

Wow! So happy your day ended on a great note!

I tried to get reservations for both Boma and Jiko for that night (our first night), and was unsuccessful. DH talked me out of trying again, saying we'd all be too tired from traveling to enjoy it.

....if you get the chance to go back, definitely try to make ADR's for Jiko - both my DH and I agreed that it was one of the best, if not THE best meal we've ever enjoyed at WDW.....

Sounds like Ron ended up having a pretty good day after all. I've never had a turkey leg at Disney. We eat a lot of turkeys here and the leg is my least favorite part, so I've never thought about ordering one of them, but some people love them, so it's great that they have something for everyone!

I've dined at Boma once and Jiko three times and definitely enjoyed Jiko more. However the last time we stayed at AKL, Fran informed me that Jiko was her least favorite restaurant on WDW property. :sad2: I guess she's into more simple flavors. So nice you were able to end your day on a high point like that.

I've dined at Boma once and Jiko three times and definitely enjoyed Jiko more. However the last time we stayed at AKL, Fran informed me that Jiko was her least favorite restaurant on WDW property. :sad2: I guess she's into more simple flavors. So nice you were able to end your day on a high point like that.

....I suppose that it's not for everyone, especially those who like, as you stated, more simple flavors....it's certainly NOT 'comfort food'....:teeth:

OMG, Jiko!!:lovestruc I miss it, I want to go back so bad. Glad you had a great meal, Kim:thumbsup2

"Oh Ye of Little Faith - of COURSE We're Eating at Boma!"

During our last 5 visits to WDW, we've always made it a 'tradition' to enjoy a meal at Boma, mainly because the CMs always bend over backwards to take care of Ron's special dietary needs, but the price is reasonable and there's always something on the menu to look forward to. I mean, really, what's not to love about an all-you-can-eat buffet? It goes without saying, that I rarely make room for dessert, but here is where I fantasize gobbling up at least 4 or 5 Zebra Domes [I never make it past 3]. It was early morning and our flight was departing at 11:15AM, so we stepped out onto our balcony to bid adieu to our furry friends:

20141101_175222_zpsfe937eb0.jpg

20141101_175244_zps6fb3694a.jpg

...and headed downstairs to Boma just as it was opening for breakfast. It was blissfully quiet, so there was no problem with an ADR. If there was, I had the back-up plan of going downstairs to The Mara and eating there. It had served us well during the past week and we did have a counter-service credit, besides the table-service credit we had hoped to use now. The hostess lead us to our table and asked if we'd eaten breakfast here before - of course we had, and let her know so:

20141102_075943_zpse8e471fb.jpg

20141102_075920_zps7cad6a80.jpg

Within a few minutes, our server was pouring us some 'imitation frunch' as we stepped away to begin the journey down the buffet line. [That juice is really called Jungle Juice, and, while quite good, just doesn't pack the same punch as the former.] She was pleasant enough, but didn't smile the whole time she was waiting on us, not even once:

20141102_081215_zps591cfc46.jpg

....looking back, it was kind of sad, thinking that someone is seemingly not enjoying their job, when those around her obviously were:

20141102_081317_zpsa7ac431b.jpg

....breakfast was, as usual, delightful and really filling. We ran the gamut of eggs and bacon, to fresh fruit, to pap, to (what else?) Zebra Domes...

20141102_081229_zps63da2e76.jpg

20141102_081240_zps1ea026df.jpg

....note to self: when I get home I think I definitely have to start a diet!

Jungle Juice Recipe
1 part Orange Juice
1 part Passion Fruit juice
1 part Guava juice

[next post - Page 15 ~ Post #215]​

Where are the pictures of the 'domes??? :confused3

What a great LAST meal to have at the World. Shame about the server. But then, I guess I don't smile all the time when I'm at work either.

Note to self....when Kimmar gets home, I need to start a diet too. ::yes::

....uhhhhhh...........ummmmmm.......:confused3

You go march right back to Ron and tell him that I said you need to re-do AKL so that you can take a picture so that *I* can get a picture of Zebra Domes to lick my screen.

Go on. ::yes::

popcorn::

"They Say All Good Things Come to an End - I Say, 'Baloney!' "

....Boma was beginning to buzz, filling with families grabbing a morning meal that would probably sustain them through most of the morning's park activities - I, on the other hand, was green with envy. We left and hurried upstairs and decided to just take some time to sit and relax in the lobby and do a little people-watching, a luxury we had never previously taken part of:

20141102_072144_zps8a851a54.jpg

20141102_072211_zps0a1607ee.jpg

20141102_072230_zpsab25b2b4.jpg

20141102_072235_zps1ecf1cd4.jpg

20141102_072254_zps99c97932.jpg

20141102_072318_zpsf3cedd5b.jpg

....it was getting closer to when we needed to depart, so we ventured into Zawadi Market to browse, and perhaps buy some souvenirs for the family. Ron had some points on his Visa card that needed to be used before December 31, so I felt no guilt in helping him spend it...;)

....we returned to the room to gather up our belongings and head to the portico to catch a cab. I won't get into the whole 'ME thing' but suffice it to say, they would not let us board because it was too close to our flight's departure time ~ turns out, that particular bus that was ready to depart wound up arriving at MCO before we did, and we arrived too, our pockets $62 lighter....are you kidding me??!?!? :eek:

20141102_091122_zps3390a339.jpg

20141102_091226_zpsb49948a4.jpg

20141102_091230_zps3fd18338.jpg

.....Good-by WDW, good-by Orlando, good-by Florida....the flight was uneventful and it arrived pretty much on time; we hurried to the lower level to retrieve our luggage. When we hit the open air outside, it was decidedly much colder than when we had departed five days earlier. The biting wind, along with the gray surroundings, was just another brutal reminder that we were thrown back into reality. Unfortunately, we had to sit in that cold dampness for another 24 minutes to await the arrival of the shuttle that would take us back to our vehicle at the long-term parking lot. It had rained miserably all day and we unfortunately climbed into the SUV realizing that the two back windows were cracked open and left that way during the entire trip. Yes, a hard dose of reality indeed.....I can't wait to return to that land of the magical mouse, palm trees, escapism, and dreams of yesteryear and the future....until next time.

What a thoroughly enjoyable TR, kimmar! Thanks for bringing us along (well, perhaps mental images of PiO licking her screen could be omitted next time, but I don't fault you for that.... :rolleyes1 ). Personally, I had fun "revisiting" AKL. There is seriously so much to see and do just at that resort, that you could spend a relaxing week just there.

Great job! :thumbsup2

That bites about DME not taking you to the airport, but at least you were able to get a cab, and

Finish this Trip Report!

Now will the tag fairy take away your cow?

That bites about DME not taking you to the airport, but at least you were able to get a cab, and

Finish this Trip Report!

Now will the tag fairy take away your cow?

....apparently not....the Tag Fairy doesn't LIKE finished trip reports....or AKL....or jungle juice....or baloney. popcorn::

What a thoroughly enjoyable TR, kimmar! Thanks for bringing us along (well, perhaps mental images of PiO licking her screen could be omitted next time, but I don't fault you for that.... :rolleyes1 ). Personally, I had fun "revisiting" AKL. There is seriously so much to see and do just at that resort, that you could spend a relaxing week just there.

Great job! :thumbsup2

....awww shucks.....thanks! :blush: :angel:

....apparently not....the Tag Fairy doesn't LIKE finished trip reports....or AKL....or jungle juice....or baloney. popcorn::

Give it time, she may have a day job. :rolleyes1

BTW, I didn't tell you how great a job you did on this, it was fun to read along on your holiday. I was just so in awe that you finished I jumped the gun.

You faced lots of challenges, kids at home thwarting your trip, sickness and just an overall thing like the lady hell bent on ruining your ankle. I'm glad you had a pretty good trip and hope you get back again soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts