Am I too big for universal studios Orlando?!

helpmeout

Earning My Ears
hi guys. I am going to universal studios in 14 days & im getting worried about fitting on rides! I’ve been losing weight but I don’t think I’m there yet & I don’t want to waste $180 for park tickets. We will be getting them soon & I need advice! (We are getting the two parks in one day tickets since our stay will be short)

I am 5’8 and 260 pounds. My weight is in my arms and thighs mostly. I’m not sure of my measurements.

I appreciate any advice! Thank you!

hi guys. I am going to universal studios in 14 days & im getting worried about fitting on rides! I’ve been losing weight but I don’t think I’m there yet & I don’t want to waste $180 for park tickets. We will be getting them soon & I need advice! (We are getting the two parks in one day tickets since our stay will be short)

I am 5’8 and 260 pounds. My weight is in my arms and thighs mostly. I’m not sure of my measurements.

I appreciate any advice! Thank you!
While I can't really make an educated guess as to your current size -- from what I recall, several rides had seats outside to try out as to whether one would fit comfortably in them.

I hope somebody else is more helpful than I was!

I haven't been to Universal Studios yet. There are several threads on this board you can search through. Plus articles on the internet

I am the same weight as you, but shorter. I have a little over two months, and I am trying to lose weight. However, the trip would still be worth it for me even if I can't fit on some of the rides.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/u...an-seat-sizing-too-fat-for-universal.3707032/
https://orlandoinformer.com/blog/rides-at-universal-for-larger-guests/
https://www.disboards.com/threads/universal-studios-for-the-overweight.2393188/#post-59900311

I think it would be very helpful for you to measure yourself, then you can look up the maximum measurements for the rides. Just knowing height/weight isn't a great tool to use, because bodies can be shaped so differently. Have a fun trip!

Everyone’s weight is distributed differently on their bodies. You might not have any difficulty at all.

As noted above there are test seats for Forbidden Journey, Hulk, RRR, Dr Dooms Fearfall and Escape from Gringotts. I can’t remember if Mummy has one. Those I mentioned come to mind though.

You can see how you will fit on these rides. These are fast moving coasters that require extra safety to protect the riders.

I hope you and everyone else celebrates the person you are no matter what your size....we are all created uniquely beautiful in our Creators eyes. So enjoy yourself and have a great time at Universal.

It's impossible to say, frankly, because I have seen people squeeze into seats. I am currently just over 6' and 230lbs, but have visited parks at 250.
There's not a ride I couldn't fit in, but not all were great. So many of the rides are just theater style, it won't matter. You can honestly enjoy a day in the park even if you can't ride a couple rides.
I'd think that the mummy, hp and rip ride rocket might be the only ones in question. Are you also talking about going to IoA?

If so, Hulk, and HP will be a challenge. I'll tell you right now, Dudley Do right's Ripsaw Falls will be off the list. I wouldn't even attempt it, it would be almost scary to try, because you are wedged in so tight.

I say go, use the test seats, and have a good attitude if you don't fit. There's plenty of other stuff to do and see.

I’m female and am 5’3”+ and was 220 and fit rides just fine.

My now-ex is 5’10” and heavier than you by a good margin and was not able to ride the coasters or FJ or gringotts.

If so, Hulk, and HP will be a challenge. I'll tell you right now, Dudley Do right's Ripsaw Falls will be off the list. I wouldn't even attempt it, it would be almost scary to try, because you are wedged in so tight.

Weirdly the ex was able to ride Dudley. It was a slow time of year and he requested the ADA log. I think the trick is to get your legs slid in first then sit. Getting out was sheet arm strength, which he definitely has.

I’m female and am 5’3”+ and was 220 and fit rides just fine.

My now-ex is 5’10” and heavier than you by a good margin and was not able to ride the coasters or FJ or gringotts.

Weirdly the ex was able to ride Dudley. It was a slow time of year and he requested the ADA log. I think the trick is to get your legs slid in first then sit. Getting out was sheet arm strength, which he definitely has.

Yep, we fit in Dudley`s and looking at us you wouldn't think we could.....it is awkward getting out as I have no arm strength, but it`s worth it......and yes, getting in it`s best to slide your legs in then sit down...….

It really does depend on where you carry your weight not how much you weigh, and how squishy you are on some rides......if you are squishy you do better sometimes.

Good luck though helpmeout, hope you get to ride everything you want to...…

My DH is very barrel-chested and a round belly and has a hard time with the rides that have the overhead pull down safety bars. The ones they make "click". I have seen people taller and heavier fit just fine because they don't have the chest circumference. So, just like the others have said, I think a lot has to do with how you carry it.

Last edited:
I usually fit on all rides, but I've had to wait it out a few times on Forbidden Journey and Gringott's. For me, it depends on hydration and bloat, since I'm on the borderline of fitting. For Dudley's, I agree with the above posters that it's a lot easier to get in (slide down with feet straight out) than to get out (the water in the boat makes it slippery to get out). My best success on the Harry Potter rides is in the morning before I have a chance to get dehydrated (from lack of water or too many beers at HHN).

Every body is different, so take this FWIW. I'm 6'2" and have been to Universal from 220 to 285. My weight gains evenly distributed from top to bottom..

220 - All good.
230 - RRR becomes difficult to breathe because bar squeezes my diaphragm the way it closes from the side. But still ride it, just only take breaths when body is being forced back against the seat.
235 - RRR out.
245 - Dudley starts getting difficult to get out. Can straighten my legs and gravity drops me right in and plenty of room to sit, but can't bend legs much so "inch worming" to push my butt up the seat back is tough getting out
260 - Dudley out.
FJ and Hulk gets tight on chest but doable.
285 - Hulk extremely tight. Doable, but not worth it - out.
FJ pretty tight but doable
Mummy extremely uncomfortable but my favorite ride, so I do it .. but only because I'm done having children. The padded shark fin on the seat between your legs gets driven right into the jewels. 4th row may account for larger upper bodies but doesn't seem to address larger butts (at least not front to back).
Cat in the Hat is tough to get knee room in either the front or back row (forget which). Doable, but need to spread legs quite a bit if you are in the wrong row. Only big problem if sharing seat with another adult.

*From about 250 on up, Jurassic Park River Adventure actually gets better the bigger you get. Your comfort level doesn't change, but you get to watch the thrills get exponentially better for any kids in your row as the chest bar becomes more and more worthless for them. :D

My DH is very barrel-chested and a round belly and has a hard time with the rides that have the overhead pull down safety bars. The ones they make "click". I have seen people taller and heavier fit just fine because they don't have the chest circumference. So, just like the others have said, I think a lot has to do with how you carry it.

Those harness systems on HP rides are perplexing. IMO just being tall, having a muscular build in chest or being a well-endowed woman...all can cause issues unto themselves getting that 2nd click, no matter your weight.

From about 250 on up, Jurassic Park River Adventure actually gets better the bigger you get. Your comfort level doesn't change, but you get to watch the thrills get exponentially better for any kids in your row as the chest bar becomes more and more worthless for them.

Your whole post was useful AND amusingly written, but this part was hilarious. And true.

It’s best if they are your own children, of course.

Despicable Me and Simpsons are a lot more free for the rest of the riders when a bigger person is in the row.

Just for future reference
I'm 5'4" 240 lbs, size 2x dresses and tops and size 20 pants. For my weight, chest and thighs are averagish while belly is larger (I had a twin pregnancy 6 years ago so I still have that pregnant look)
I fit Forbidden Journey and Gringotts easily.

I'll add my stats for future searches
5'4" 240 lbs, size 20 pants, 2x dresses and tops. Chest and thighs are proportional, belly is large (but very squishy)
Fit FJ, Gringotts and Hippogriff fine with room to spare
I can see how FJ would be a problem for big chest and belly while Gringotts for big thighs
Hippogriff can be scary if you have your small child next to you because you share a lap bar

Fabulous......so happy to hear that :thumbsup2 and hope the whole trip was wonderful for you......
That’s awesome! Did you have to use modified seating on any rides? I’m around the same height and weight as you with a lot of weight carried in my butt and thighs and I’m nervous about fitting!

That’s awesome! Did you have to use modified seating on any rides? I’m around the same height and weight as you with a lot of weight carried in my butt and thighs and I’m nervous about fitting!

I think you quoted the wrong person.....I believe it was helpmeout who posted her measurements........

Haven‘t seen her online since February this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter