Am I the only one that is unimpressed with SWGE - where is the juice?

:wave2: Everyone is free to express their opinion and answer the 2-part question posted by the OP, a Uni fan who has previously posted he gave up on Disney years ago. I’m sure he’s thrilled with the 900+ replies.

If we’re going with one suggestion to improve the Edge, I choose music. Our HOA puts on an October Festival with carnival rides, game booths, and popular food trucks from throughout San Diego are the food vendors. Families are out there enjoying the various activities and what ties it together are the live bands playing throughout the weekend. We are enjoying the music from our home - except when it’s a country band. 😉

The rides are definitely not high tech but they are free - that may add to the enjoyment...but the music improves the ambience.
ABE41659-38FF-4C52-B29E-157C46AFE06A.jpeg

I have tried and failed many times, most mods want this thread closed because it seriously isn't bringing anything new but going around in circles, I say, we close it another pops up, same problem, so I've been left to monitor the "juice" thread
To your point I would ask Chapek to add more droids and aliens and that's it :)
You do yeoman's work here yulilin, and I thank you sincerely for your time and efforts. And patience :)

Last edited:
I get that. I just don't think that's what people wanted. Its okay to admit that they underestimated the appeal of the average park guest to "create their own story."

I think perhaps you misunderstood.
My post wasn't defending Disney's choice, just sharing in case others missed the show.

I feel like what is there is a really good start. I haven’t been yet, just from what I’ve read online, but it seems many are underwhelmed. Maybe with the addition of RotR and some roaming characters, maybe some SW music is strategic places to create ambiance in addition to the sounds of flying ships, all this could add to the appeal of the new land.
I can’t wait to see it someday, and hopefully it’s all my son and I could want from a SW themed land.

No matter what, people would be annoyingly complaining:

- Multiple different planets in one land? OMG this is terrible theming. No magic! No immersion! Just lazily put them next to each other!
- OT characters? Ugh Vader never lived at the same time as Rey! Not canon!
- More face characters? They don't look like the VERY FAMOUS actors who portrayed them! No magic!

Can't believe people who don't like it spend so much time complaining here over and over and over. Move on already.

No matter what, people would be annoyingly complaining:

- Multiple different planets in one land? OMG this is terrible theming. No magic! No immersion! Just lazily put them next to each other!
- OT characters? Ugh Vader never lived at the same time as Rey! Not canon!
- More face characters? They don't look like the VERY FAMOUS actors who portrayed them! No magic!

Can't believe people who don't like it spend so much time complaining here over and over and over. Move on already.
Well this is the thread for those who are unimpressed..I'd say move on to a different thread for someone like you to a thread for all the people who rave and rave and rave about the land but that's really not how I roll when it comes to discussions :flower3:

Besides really there are various people out there. I don't fit into the category that other people do in terms of their complaints because I'm not an uber star wars fan that even gives one whit about new or old or prequel trilogy characters, or canon or other things mentioned but does that mean I'm not supposed to be able to share my opinion?

No one was every going to be happy or not 100% of the people were going to be satisfied but if that were the parameters for discussion on the DIS I'm not even sure what we would talk about :teeth:

I feel like what is there is a really good start. I haven’t been yet, just from what I’ve read online, but it seems many are underwhelmed. Maybe with the addition of RotR and some roaming characters, maybe some SW music is strategic places to create ambiance in addition to the sounds of flying ships, all this could add to the appeal of the new land.
I can’t wait to see it someday, and hopefully it’s all my son and I could want from a SW themed land.
When I went I went in blind. I stayed away from all the pouring out of the details about the rides, other than random pictures I couldn't escape from seeing, all the details about the queue and so many other things. I purposefully wanted to be surprised at what I saw for the vast majority of the information/details/and most of the pictures other than some aerials.

Hopefully y'all can do something of that so you can kinda go in without too much preconceived feelings as hard as that can be :)

Well this is the thread for those who are unimpressed..I'd say move on to a different thread for someone like you to a thread for all the people who rave and rave and rave about the land but that's really not how I roll when it comes to discussions :flower3:

Besides really there are various people out there. I don't fit into the category that other people do in terms of their complaints because I'm not an uber star wars fan that even gives one whit about new or old or prequel trilogy characters, or canon or other things mentioned but does that mean I'm not supposed to be able to share my opinion?

No one was every going to be happy or not 100% of the people were going to be satisfied but if that were the parameters for discussion on the DIS I'm not even sure what we would talk about :teeth:

I don’t want people to rave and rave and rave. But the same half dozen people spouting the same half dozen half-baked complaints is just insane.

I cannot imagine why people who apparently hate something so much devote so much time to thinking and talking about it. Move on with life.

SWGE has potential long run, but won't be exciting for at least 5yrs aka before a refresh.

Currently it was rushed, period. The rides aren't that inspiring (RotR will likely be like HP hadgrids, 15min intro + 5min ride) and the merch blitz will wear off after the holidays...toy collectors will have all they need.

It will be refined, under a NEW boss. At least look forward to that.

if galaxies edge's problems were just related to whats in the land it would be pretty easy to fix, and there would have been a ton of people cramming into it every day to fill it to capacity at the beginning, but thinning out crowd wise very quickly (especially later in the day) as people left and didn't come back (to be fair...opening without 1/2 the rides available was probably also a very bad idea...especially if rotr is the better ride...)

fair or not, galaxies edge has to deal with the huge handicap the current group at lucas film have given them. no...not the sjw and social media type stuff that may have permanently fractured the fan base...

its the part where before any of that got started...they threw out the entire EU (extended universe...or currently the "legends" parts of star wars). years and years of lore, tons of alien species, ships, planets...no one is quite sure whether they're going to be part of star wars or not anymore...and not just that but lightsaber tech, blasters, and scores of characters that were never used outside the books. throwing out the EU wasn't without its perks...bye bye white current...just need to get rid of midichlorians now...

heres where this becomes a very real, and very large handicap...anything star wars that gets released officially is canon...the games, books, comics, movies, all of it (probably all of galaxies edge as well). when the EU was still around there was canon (the EU) and "super canon"...the movies...whatever the EU did was the way it was...unless the movies did it different...now its more controlled...to an extent makes more sense...but in many ways is far more harmful and restrictive...

new characters needed...gotta get approval, new ships, same...while thats more of an annoyance than anything...bringing anything over from legends into current canon seems like it may only happen in very rare circumstances (so far I can only think of thrawn as getting brought over)...even if you don't care about canon...its probably affecting you all the same.

to point out an equivalent example...imagine universal having to build their harry potter areas/rides/merch...but only getting to use the fantastic beasts movies...it would probably still be quite good...but probably not anywhere near as popular...it could easily turn into a similar debate...wanting to see death eaters or any of the main characters from the original books/movies...but all you get is newt and co. and the settings being france and new york instead of hogwarts/hogsmeade and diagon alley...or even being set in africa or japan so you get to make your own story.

the ride...smugglers run...for those who've read the books...imagine if it were someone like talon karde...or someone from wraith squadron that was in the queue for smugglers run (or even newer characters like sabine, or doctor aphra)...if you'd only seen the movies you'd still not know who he or she was...but for those who had been more into star wars for a long time...that kinda stuff would be a cool easter egg. or if the 181st showed up as bonus pt targets...if you didn't know what the 181st was...it'd simply be a fun hidden bonus target (like all the ones in toy story, and astroblasters), if you knew what they were...it'd be even better.

even on the merch side...theres sooooo many more lightsaber types that could be done, tons more droid styles to choose from...or the potential role play fun of being able to get something like a ysalamiri (probably spelled that a bit wrong) and having viable anti-jedi bounty hunters.

there just isn't enough approved stuff in canon to fill a land with those kinds of easter eggs and variety since for whatever reason they also won't use things from the clone wars or rebels cartoons despite those being canon...have ahsoka, sabine, and hera do meet n greets...(oh look, 3 popular female characters...where there aren't any doing meet n greets for star wars) I think technically sabine might qualify as a princess of sorts...maybe...too bad they can't use tenel-ka...

they've done very well with what they have to work with...I just think they don't have enough to work with...and probably won't for quite some time.

if galaxies edge's problems were just related to whats in the land it would be pretty easy to fix, and there would have been a ton of people cramming into it every day to fill it to capacity at the beginning, but thinning out crowd wise very quickly (especially later in the day) as people left and didn't come back (to be fair...opening without 1/2 the rides available was probably also a very bad idea...especially if rotr is the better ride...)

fair or not, galaxies edge has to deal with the huge handicap the current group at lucas film have given them. no...not the sjw and social media type stuff that may have permanently fractured the fan base...

its the part where before any of that got started...they threw out the entire EU (extended universe...or currently the "legends" parts of star wars). years and years of lore, tons of alien species, ships, planets...no one is quite sure whether they're going to be part of star wars or not anymore...and not just that but lightsaber tech, blasters, and scores of characters that were never used outside the books. throwing out the EU wasn't without its perks...bye bye white current...just need to get rid of midichlorians now...

heres where this becomes a very real, and very large handicap...anything star wars that gets released officially is canon...the games, books, comics, movies, all of it (probably all of galaxies edge as well). when the EU was still around there was canon (the EU) and "super canon"...the movies...whatever the EU did was the way it was...unless the movies did it different...now its more controlled...to an extent makes more sense...but in many ways is far more harmful and restrictive...

new characters needed...gotta get approval, new ships, same...while thats more of an annoyance than anything...bringing anything over from legends into current canon seems like it may only happen in very rare circumstances (so far I can only think of thrawn as getting brought over)...even if you don't care about canon...its probably affecting you all the same.

to point out an equivalent example...imagine universal having to build their harry potter areas/rides/merch...but only getting to use the fantastic beasts movies...it would probably still be quite good...but probably not anywhere near as popular...it could easily turn into a similar debate...wanting to see death eaters or any of the main characters from the original books/movies...but all you get is newt and co. and the settings being france and new york instead of hogwarts/hogsmeade and diagon alley...or even being set in africa or japan so you get to make your own story.

the ride...smugglers run...for those who've read the books...imagine if it were someone like talon karde...or someone from wraith squadron that was in the queue for smugglers run (or even newer characters like sabine, or doctor aphra)...if you'd only seen the movies you'd still not know who he or she was...but for those who had been more into star wars for a long time...that kinda stuff would be a cool easter egg. or if the 181st showed up as bonus pt targets...if you didn't know what the 181st was...it'd simply be a fun hidden bonus target (like all the ones in toy story, and astroblasters), if you knew what they were...it'd be even better.

even on the merch side...theres sooooo many more lightsaber types that could be done, tons more droid styles to choose from...or the potential role play fun of being able to get something like a ysalamiri (probably spelled that a bit wrong) and having viable anti-jedi bounty hunters.

there just isn't enough approved stuff in canon to fill a land with those kinds of easter eggs and variety since for whatever reason they also won't use things from the clone wars or rebels cartoons despite those being canon...have ahsoka, sabine, and hera do meet n greets...(oh look, 3 popular female characters...where there aren't any doing meet n greets for star wars) I think technically sabine might qualify as a princess of sorts...maybe...too bad they can't use tenel-ka...

they've done very well with what they have to work with...I just think they don't have enough to work with...and probably won't for quite some time.
they are obviously using things from Rebels and Clone Wars. Most prominently Hondo Ohnaka. You can also find Ahsoka's lightsaber at Dok Ondar's. As for Sabine and Hera, we really don't know how they would age but since Rebels occurred before Episode IV they would be quiet old by Episode IX
There are also a lot of easter eggs from all timelines around the land, especially inside Dok Ondar's, it's just a matter of looking for them

they are obviously using things from Rebels and Clone Wars. Most prominently Hondo Ohnaka. You can also find Ahsoka's lightsaber at Dok Ondar's. As for Sabine and Hera, we really don't know how they would age but since Rebels occurred before Episode IV they would be quiet old by Episode IX
There are also a lot of easter eggs from all timelines around the land, especially inside Dok Ondar's, it's just a matter of looking for them

Which just makes me wonder how old Hondo since he's appearing across all three generations XD. Or really how long his species lives would be the question.

As for one thing to improve the Edge, I would like more choice in feeling like I'm siding with one side or the other. Sure you have datapads to "hack" or do jobs for your side, but how fun would it be to have "resistance"sympathisers try to hide Rey and Vi while a group of allied imperials/first order spies hunt them down? asked in the "interactive" thread if anyone had ever tried to turn in Vi, but no answer. But wouldn't it be more fun to throw in seeds of doubt of who to trust or else be captured by the opposing side?

Last edited:
I don’t want people to rave and rave and rave. But the same half dozen people spouting the same half dozen half-baked complaints is just insane.

I cannot imagine why people who apparently hate something so much devote so much time to thinking and talking about it. Move on with life.
Honestly? I just kinda scroll past stuff like what you're talking about. Way too many other interesting points of view from other posters to ponder :)

Anywho back to the actual thread topic for me :)

for hera and sabine, since leia appears in rebels, they're likely to be within 10 years of each other (probably less), and while actors don't age like their fictional characters should...assuming they didn't dump human life spans from legends...100+ would be the age where a human would look 70+ in reality...for force users...it'd likely be 150+ depending on strength in the force and such. unfortunately short of using different actors...neither luke or leia could really look the way they were probably supposed to...probably han as well...chewie...well like all aliens in star wars...he can appear to be the appropriate age no matter how old his actor got.

hera and ahsoka get the added benefit of being alien, and they can look basically the same by making it a "their species have double the life span of humans" kinda bit...or a "they don't visibly age", etc. however that requires them to make a decision that affects canon...

for meet n greets sabine would get the benefit of doing so with her helmet on...so like vader...age not really important (also vader being dead and all...)

as someone else pointed out...if there isn't an age issue for hondo...why would there be one for hera or ahsoka, and as long as sabine keeps her helmet on (kylo ren and vader only appear in the parks with their helmets on)...not much issue there either.

it's probably more of a "they have to decide if hera/sabine/ahsoka are still alive in canon"...which is another way canon is probably impacting galaxies edge whether someone cares about it or not. (hondo being a minor character was probably the easiest to get approved.)

oh and by timelines I'm assuming you mean old republic, and sith empire type time periods, and not legends vs. canon (except the few things that overlap). since they made games canon too...the current star wars mmo being set in the old republic is part of canon...but still leaves out a lot of similar time period legends material.

To be totally fair it has been the same half dozen defending SWGE to the hilt too, with most of the posts from people in that grey area in the middle either willing to give it a chance or showing mild scepticism... That is typically how anything with a fan base works. The hardcore minority of each side are the loudest.

They need to rebrand the land soon, divide it into 3 trilogies. Prequels, Originals, Sequels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter