Am I the only one that is unimpressed with SWGE - where is the juice?

Sure I can because I just did. I am making a figurative point which you (I believe) took a bit more literal than I intended. I have seen a lot of comments in these forums that are trying to defend or tear down SWGE. I don't have an agenda at work here, just an opinion based on a first-hand experience.

IMHO, when a family roller coaster that has been open for 15 months is outdrawing a Star Wars ride that is brand new...with the attendant hype...that leaves a particular impression.

With that said, I don't mind anyone disagreeing with me.
Pointing out the fact that an attraction without fp will have shorter standy lines that an attraction with fp. It's not an opinion. for every 80 fp guests only 10 standby guests go through, thus making the standby longer than if that same attraction didn't have a fp

IMHO, when a family roller coaster that has been open for 15 months is outdrawing a Star Wars ride that is brand new...with the attendant hype...that leaves a particular impression.

A longer wait time does not mean SDD is outdrawing MF:SR.

If MF:SR has a 45 minute wait, and SDD has a 60 minute wait, there are actually almost 4x as many people in line for MF:SR. It's pretty easy to show with a little basic math...

(# of riders) / ((riders per min) * (standby %)) = wait time
  • A conservative estimate of rider distribution for FP+ rides (like SDD) is 80% FP+ / 20% standby
  • Currently MF:SR does not use FP+, so the rider distribution is 100% standby.
  • The reported max hourly capacity for MF:SR is 1500 riders (25 riders per minute).
  • The max hourly capacity for SDD is 1440 riders (24 riders per minute)
With MF:SR, for a standby line of 1125 people, the rider at the end of the line would wait about 45 minutes.
1125 / (25 * 100%) = 45 min.

So, because of FP+, if SDD has a standby wait time of 60 minutes, there are only about 288 people in the standby line.
288 / (24 * 20%) = 60 min.

If SDD had the same number of people in the standby line as MF:SR at 45 min., the wait time for SDD would be 234 minutes.
1125 / (24 * 20%) = 234 min.

Oh well, if a 35 minute wait means SR is doing great then why are there threads asking if anyone is going to “brave” going to Galaxy’s Edge and what their plans and strategies are to get in to the land.

It’s underperforming. The pretzels people twist themselves into to deny this are seriously silly at this point. I remember when the HP rides had no FOTL. They were huge waits.

Oh well, if a 35 minute wait means SR is doing great then why are there threads asking if anyone is going to “brave” going to Galaxy’s Edge and what their plans and strategies are to get in to the land.

It’s underperforming. The pretzels people twist themselves into to deny this are seriously silly at this point. I remember when the HP rides had no FOTL. They were huge waits.
You have absolutely no metric to say it's underperforming, or any data to back up such claims. Why would a short wait time (proven to be short by lack of FP+) mean it's underperforming? Perhaps Disney has just planned and implemented this new addition so well that the waits are manageable. Shocking, I know. Perhaps it's just such an efficient and well-made ride that it doesn't back up? Tons of people are moving through the SR ride. It's by no means an empty queue.

As to why people are asking how they are going to manage the waits? The waits won't always be low, and when the second ride opens up, which is supposed to be the premier attraction, things are likely to pick up quite a bit. There have a been a handful of factors in play as to why the wait times are lower than many were thinking they would be. It's been debated over and over in several different topics, so I won't bother repeating it here. You also don't seem like you really are interested and won't ever change your attitude towards it.

Not anymore, the HP rides are walkon, continuous reporting on YT shows it, so the pretzel people are stating facts and the nay-sayers are deaf when this is pointed out. Is it a Disney GE issue, no it is the whole theme park issue, price increases over the board for everything is the main factor here. Disney/Universal are far from a budget friendly vacation and tend to be one of the more expensive ways to vacation. Time will tell but to call it under performing with only 1 month under its belt is silly and complainers gonna complain!

When I was in Orlando last month, the new HP queue quickly =3 hours just after RD.
At 10am, Gringotts was 40min. We opted for Gringott's SR, and THAT was 30.
In that first hour, the Castle ride, H Express, and the kiddie coaster had short waits, but come 11:30am- the Leaky Cauldron was full.

The HP lands were far from empty.

As another poster said, I don't have an agenda either way. More fun options = better for all of us.

I fully expected HS to be very crowded. Far more crowded than it was. We left the park at 11am that morning, the HS park entrance was completely empty. I don't think I have ever seen it that empty at mid day before.

The SW had people, but the Launch Bay was empty and Star Tours were both empty. I can't say much about other waits, as we weren't there all that long, but HS wasn't al that full that day. I have certainly seen it far busier on prior August visits.

Last edited:
And not to beat a dead horse, but Universal Studios wait times are hard to compare to Disney wait times. Studios doesn't get the overall crowd that Disney does and their wait times are often quite a bit less, even for the popular rides. Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure is the one exception right now. Also, I went on one ride a month ago that said 70 minutes and instead I waited 10. So I'm not sure what was up with that, lol.

..... I went on one ride a month ago that said 70 minutes and instead I waited 10. So I'm not sure what was up with that, lol.

I noticed that also while at WDW, some rides stated 90+ and in reality when walking out it was more like 45-60 mins in total, I think they over estimate those "times" so the rushy people dont get too bent out of shape........

I noticed that also while at WDW, some rides stated 90+ and in reality when walking out it was more like 45-60 mins in total, I think they over estimate those "times" so the rushy people dont get too bent out of shape........
I know that's pretty common, but my thing was actually at Universal. A few rides had very overestimated wait times. Not just 10 or 15minutes, but at least 50 or 60 minute discrepencies.

A longer wait time does not mean SDD is outdrawing MF:SR.

If MF:SR has a 45 minute wait, and SDD has a 60 minute wait, there are actually almost 4x as many people in line for MF:SR. It's pretty easy to show with a little basic math...

(# of riders) / ((riders per min) * (standby %)) = wait time
  • A conservative estimate of rider distribution for FP+ rides (like SDD) is 80% FP+ / 20% standby
  • Currently MF:SR does not use FP+, so the rider distribution is 100% standby.
  • The reported max hourly capacity for MF:SR is 1500 riders (25 riders per minute).
  • The max hourly capacity for SDD is 1440 riders (24 riders per minute)
With MF:SR, for a standby line of 1125 people, the rider at the end of the line would wait about 45 minutes.
1125 / (25 * 100%) = 45 min.

So, because of FP+, if SDD has a standby wait time of 60 minutes, there are only about 288 people in the standby line.
288 / (24 * 20%) = 60 min.

If SDD had the same number of people in the standby line as MF:SR at 45 min., the wait time for SDD would be 234 minutes.
1125 / (24 * 20%) = 234 min.

You lost me at 288/(24*20%)= blah blah blah. LOL. Math was never my strong suit:)

Rather than quote everyone, I'll take one more stab at this. There was a 35 minute standby wait for The Smuggler and a 50 minute standby wait for The Slink Dog. Smuggles doesn't have PF+ and The Slinkster had no more FP+available for that time slot. On that particular day, people were willing to allocate a larger chunk of their precious and expensive park time for The Doggy Dash than they were for the slick, brand-new Jedi fabrication.

Use whatever math you wish. That conjures up an impression that all the Fun with Fractions can't easily dismiss. Customers are not analyzing ride load capacities per hour and other operations management questions. The individual looks at the amount of time they have and how to best use it. To the individual, 50 minutes is 50 minutes and 35 minutes is 35 minutes, whether it is for a ride or for a restaurant. Now, back to your regularly scheduled program... :)

Last edited:
Use whatever math you wish. That conjures up an impression that all the Fun with Fractions can't easily dismiss. Customers are not analyzing ride load capacities per hour and other operations management questions. The individual looks at the amount of time they have and how to best use it. To the individual, 50 minutes is 50 minutes and 35 minutes is 35 minutes, whether it is for a ride or for a restaurant.
You missed my point entirely. Nowhere did I say people were using capacity to decide what ride choose. You stated your opinion that you felt that more people were choosing SDD over MF:SR based on the standby wait times, and I simply showed that was demonstrably false. Your being dismissive of the math doesn't make the numbers wrong.

So now you're assuming people's motivations and saying that SDD is more popular because the people in that line are okay with a longer wait. That assertion completely ignores how many people are actually choosing to wait in the standby line, which is a much more telling number.

I'll keep it simple this time. For the times you listed (35 & 50 minutes), this is about how many people are waiting in the standby line for each ride:

MF:SR - 875
SDD - 240

So, regardless of their motivation, vastly more people are choosing to wait 35 minutes for MF: SR than are choosing to wait 50 for SDD.

I think something a lot of people struggle with is accepting, or understanding, that no FP+ causes standby lines to move efficiently. It's been proven, both with math and experiences over the years. It's fact. I also don't know if WDW has had this happen, where a brand new ride opens without FP+ to start. That's why it seems odd, because we haven't experienced this before. I also think Smugglers Run happens to run efficiently regardless, as it doesn't go down due to weather or anything and there aren't any loading issues to speak of. It simply works, and works well. I wish I could say the same for all of the theme park rides.

To the individual, 50 minutes is 50 minutes and 35 minutes is 35 minutes, whether it is for a ride or for a restaurant.

NOPE not at all in our past experience 2 weeks ago, take for instance SDD said 50 mins I timed it from the time we walked through the SB sign and it was indeed 35 mins, NOT the 50 posted, so theres that....
popcorn::

Just returned from DL. IMO, after experiencing what a great attraction they did with Pandora, I was expecting SW Smugglers Run to be so great. Unfortunately, it did nothing for me. Hoping Rise of the Resistance is much better.

Where there's smoke there's fire. And there is smoke from GE on both coasts - neither is drawing flies. While GE is beautifully designed, it missed the boat by being based upon the sequel trilogy which few really care for. All that plus a decidedly meh attraction adds up to a huge miss by Disney. Pandora and HP blow it out of the water and those two franchises are not nearly as valuable. Disney screwed up. It's ok to say that, they usually don't. But this is a huge miss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter