Am I Mean?

Am I Mean?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
We are both in our mid 20s and work in the fitness industry. Our bodies should be able to function on a few hours of sleep, especially given the "disney factor". I'm not going to RD without her, it's a very special vacation where we want to be together experiencing it all.

We are both in our mid 20s and work in the fitness industry. Our bodies should be able to function on a few hours of sleep, especially given the "disney factor". I'm not going to RD without her, it's a very special vacation where we want to be together experiencing it all.

Then I hope you're ready to compromise if she decides she's not feeling like doing rope drop with you.

Because with that "we're not splitting up" approach needs to come a willingness to compromise.

My recommendation:
Extend your stay one day:
Go to the park for two days, take a day off, go to the parks for two days.
Plan the AK day for the day before the day off; sleep in, go to the pool, take her to do something outside the parks:
Depending upon what you are into:
sports: golf, mini-golf, fishing, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DTD, area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
movies: DTD 24 screen theater some with meals served by waiters
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, horse drawn tour of FWC, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour
eating: Formal GF 5* Chef's Table @ V&As
IMHO, you can over-stress someone who has not been to WDW before or is not as into Disney as yourself. This will give time for relaxing and enjoying the place, plus letting her find something outside the parks to induce her to want to come back with you.

Last edited:

Where's the option on the poll for "ask your girlfriend how she feels about it"?

I mean, I'm gonna vote yes even though I don't think it's inherently "mean" to want to maximize park time at the expense of sleep provided the rest of your party is on board. On the other hand, is it "mean" to make plans without consulting her when you suspect she won't like them, and to expect to get your way even when she predictably objects? Yeah, that's not great, dude. I'd say "controlling," even. If this is a special trip for the both of you, maybe involve her in the planning process so you can gauge how she actually feels about your plans instead of trying to get strangers on the internet to tell you how she's supposed to feel about it.

I'm gonna surprised nobody has brought this up but OP, are you paying for the trip? I'm not asking so that you can force her to do what you want but rather, I've found that if I'm paying for the trip, the person or people that are with me are just really grateful for the trip and pretty much let me call the shots. That doesn't mean I'll do things I know they don't like, I'll still ask. But typically unless they are physically unable or have a strong, strong objection, they'll roll with whatever.

Also, I'm not a morning person at all but waking up in the morning for Disney is fun. It's not like waking up to go to work. I don't get why anyone would have a strong objection to it.

Disney or not, I am not a morning person. If I close a park, there is no way in heck I'm doing rope drop the next morning.

I took my nephew to AKL for his birthday last year, he's an environmental wildlife land management university student (proud aunt moment, he's on an academic scholarship!) for his 20th birthday.

I'm a local so my over-stretched finances only allowed one night even with the general FL resident discount.

Loved the AKL. Comfy beds, great room and a savannah view drool worthy.

After a QS dinner complete with zebra domes, which darn it, he loved them.

We sat on the balcony watching the animals until my tiredness caught up with me and I crashed in the bed closest to the wall. I don't think my nephew slept at all. He was downstairs a lot using the night vision binoculars. First light he was back on the balcony with his own binoculars. 4:05 I'm getting poked in the shoulder, get up, get up, you have to see this giraffe.

I'm not sure I formed actual words, it may have resembled an Exorcist growl. It worked, very effective i got another 2 hours of sleep, my nephew was in his glory journaling all the wildlife.
I was up, showered and out the door by 7:15.
We rope-dropped MK, did a ton of rides, had a fantastic meal at Tony's, watched and danced in the parade, A fantastic Wishes dessert party with the perfect table along the rail.

Moral of the story, if my nephew had woken me up at 4:45, I would have been cranky all day, and wouldn't have attracted the positive energy.

Ask your girlfriend what she prefers. It's her vacation too and shows some consideration of her feelings.

Disney or not, I am not a morning person. If I close a park, there is no way in heck I'm doing rope drop the next morning.

I took my nephew to AKL for his birthday last year, he's an environmental wildlife land management university student (proud aunt moment, he's on an academic scholarship!) for his 20th birthday.

I'm a local so my over-stretched finances only allowed one night even with the general FL resident discount.

Loved the AKL. Comfy beds, great room and a savannah view drool worthy.

After a QS dinner complete with zebra domes, which darn it, he loved them.

We sat on the balcony watching the animals until my tiredness caught up with me and I crashed in the bed closest to the wall. I don't think my nephew slept at all. He was downstairs a lot using the night vision binoculars. First light he was back on the balcony with his own binoculars. 4:05 I'm getting poked in the shoulder, get up, get up, you have to see this giraffe.

I'm not sure I formed actual words, it may have resembled an Exorcist growl. It worked, very effective i got another 2 hours of sleep, my nephew was in his glory journaling all the wildlife.
I was up, showered and out the door by 7:15.
We rope-dropped MK, did a ton of rides, had a fantastic meal at Tony's, watched and danced in the parade, A fantastic Wishes dessert party with the perfect table along the rail.

Moral of the story, if my nephew had woken me up at 4:45, I would have been cranky all day, and wouldn't have attracted the positive energy.

Ask your girlfriend what she prefers. It's her vacation too and shows some consideration of her feelings.
Wow thanks for sharing your experience! I've since discussed this with her and she is on board, but also wants to take a "lets see how we feel" approach. Who knows, we may end up leaving AK earlier that night from exhaustion! I'm head over heels happy with all of the advice I'm getting here! I'm not going to dictate our entire vacation, it'll only be a good time if she's happy! Thanks everyone =]

Personally I want to get my money's worth and I'm not doing that in bed.
Now that is mean. Seriously, though, I don't think either of you will enjoy Epcot that much if you're tired. Staying up late is great, as is getting up early for rope drop, but combining the two with only a few hours of sleep in between is a bad idea.

Last edited:
Disnerd6838,
I'm happy to share my experiences. I've learned so much from the Dis I'm thrilled to give back even just a little.
I've been to Disneyland about 8 times and Disney World at least 25 times so any questions about anything feel free to ask, post or pm.
I
The World is really my magical, Happy place so I want to share as much as possible.
I'm so glad you discussed with your girlfriend, have an incredible time!!!

Wow thanks for sharing your experience! I've since discussed this with her and she is on board, but also wants to take a "lets see how we feel" approach. Who knows, we may end up leaving AK earlier that night from exhaustion! I'm head over heels happy with all of the advice I'm getting here! I'm not going to dictate our entire vacation, it'll only be a good time if she's happy! Thanks everyone =]
I'm glad you said this, because previously you said conflicting things; at one point you said you're there 'to get your money's worth,' and another you said it's a special vacation where you want to be together. If a person's attitude is that every moment must be spent in the parks to get their money's worth, then the 'special vacation together' isn't really the goal. Flexibility is key if you want everyone to have a good vacation.

there may be too much of a good thing.... yah, a trip being what it is, already pretty tiring. you do stuff like that with business trips, not for vacation trips, IMHO.

If you have discussed things with your partner, then no, you're not mean if you both have decided to Rope-Drop to Park Close.

However... if you aren't going to talk to her, you're making all the decisions, and her only purpose is to be a warm body accompanying you, then you have SERIOUS problems in your relationship aside from "What should our Disney touring style look like?" ;)

Sounds like you were affirming that All Day At Disney can be done, and not necessarily by masochists who want to whine every step of the way. HAVE FUN!

If you have discussed things with your partner, then no, you're not mean if you both have decided to Rope-Drop to Park Close.

However... if you aren't going to talk to her, you're making all the decisions, and her only purpose is to be a warm body accompanying you, then you have SERIOUS problems in your relationship aside from "What should our Disney touring style look like?" ;)

Sounds like you were affirming that All Day At Disney can be done, and not necessarily by masochists who want to whine every step of the way. HAVE FUN!
It's almost time! We arrive on Memorial Day in 8 days! I'm positive we have talked it through enough by now to be on the same page. We will feel out the night and take it from there. I'm definitely not going to dictate what we do, my father did that to the family when I was a child and remember those trips becoming somewhat stressful. It's a vacation after-all! Thanks for the input guys. I'm not mean!!! ;)

Play it safe, let her make the call the next morning. This is an extended date and you don't need an argument when you should be having fun. Further you do not want to give her the idea that you are a taskmaster.

remember: this is supposed to be Fun.

Oh, well moot point now. serves me right for posting after reading only the OP.
glad you had fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!