Am I Mean?

Am I Mean?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yep, I'm not a morning person either. BUT, I will get up very early at WDW, even if I have stayed out very late the night before. She is the person you need to ask!

Thanks guys, she's not necessarily a morning person but it's our Disney trip and I feel like we have the rest of the year to sleep. Personally I want to get my money's worth and I'm not doing that in bed.

That might be how you do Disney but it might not be how she does Disney.

If she doesn't love the idea, talk about you leaving before her that morning. Meet up somewhere later. That way you're both happy.

It wouldn't work for me. If the park closes at 1:00, it will likely be close to 2:00 or so before you are back in the room. For a 9 am opening, if we are using Disney transportation, we leave the room no later than 7:30. To leave at 7:30, I have to be in the shower by 6:30-6:45. That means 4.5 hours of sleep, and no one wants to be around me if that is all the sleep I got, that is assuming you leave the park right at 1:00.

Yep.

And if she's a serious makeup-wearer and hair-doer it's going to take longer in the morning which means less sleep.

Last edited:
Totally depends on her, and what she is comfortable with. We have done similar things, and it was all good. We've also had times when rope drop the next morning just didn't happen, and we wound up getting to the park that day later. It isn't the end of the world if it turns out that way either!

Making a 9am rope drop after a 12pm close i don't think is unreasonable. I think when you are at disney you you run on adrenaline. I am doing an upcoming 5K for the dark side, having to get up by3:30am. But the day prior i have conferences from 6am to 4pm then planning on hitting the boardwalk for dinner and exploring. I don't care because i'll be at disney. It is a different frame of mind when you are there.

Yes ill be totally exhausted after the trip , but there is so much to see that i can't just hang around and sleep in

No because that is my plan on May 27th - get to AK for 8am opening and stay through 1am. Then get up for park open at Epcot on May 28th.

My 21 year old will be with me - I've already told him he can sleep in if he wants but then he'll miss most of Epcot because we are hopping to MK early on that evening - probably by 6pm or so.
And then once MK closes - I may go back to Pandora! - that one depends on how much energy I've got left.

We are only going to be in Disney the afternoon of May 26 through the afternoon of May 29th. I figure I can sleep at home but on short Disney trips, I'd rather be in a park.

Ask her - maybe she'll want to give it a try!

No because that is my plan on May 27th - get to AK for 8am opening and stay through 1am. Then get up for park open at Epcot on May 28th.

My 21 year old will be with me - I've already told him he can sleep in if he wants but then he'll miss most of Epcot because we are hopping to MK early on that evening - probably by 6pm or so.
And then once MK closes - I may go back to Pandora! - that one depends on how much energy I've got left.

We are only going to be in Disney the afternoon of May 26 through the afternoon of May 29th. I figure I can sleep at home but on short Disney trips, I'd rather be in a park.

Ask her - maybe she'll want to give it a try!
Exactly this! I don't want to sleep in Disney World damnit! I have all year to do that in my boring ol' New England home town. Pretty sure she's going to roll her eyes at first but then be like fiiiiine

It's a vacation for you both and it's ok to want different things, as long as you can find a solution. Do either of you mind if you RD alone, do a few rides that might not interest her and then meet up at a set time?

No reason for you to feel frustrated, but also no reason for her to feel shoved into doing things in a way that takes away the feeling of it being a vacation.

We have been going to Disney for a long time. We have seen/done it all with late night EMH and early mornings too. I am with you on....short trip...cram it all in and sleep when you get home!!!

Ask her, but in a way that it is clear it is HER choice. In a post above you make it sound like "but I'll get my way" and IMHO that is no way to be in a relationship. A dictatorship, yes. A relationship, no.

Ask and be willing to accept her answer either way. Just like in other things, no means no.

"Being in a relationship" doesn't mean being stuck like glue 24/7. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you going and doing rope drop while she sleeps in and meets you later if that is what she'd prefer.

Of course, the only reason the rope drop strategy actually works is because MOST people would prefer to sleep in. So your mileage absolutely varies. But I could see myself doing it as long as there was an option for an afternoon nap.

Taking my girlfriend for 4 nights / 1 day each park. Plan is to stay at AK until 12 / 1 am (hours are extended for Pandora that night) for our AK day. Is it too mean to expect her to rope drop Epcot the following morning at 9 am?
Even if this plan is something she accepts before you get there, it is very possible that she could decide on Epcot morning that she just cannot do it. Here is a backup plan. Make later fast passes for the one tier 1 ride that is most important to her. Perhaps around noon, and two more from tier 2 at 11am and 1pm. She would then be able to meet you at Epcot in her own good time and enjoy 2 or three rides with you. You, on the other hand can go to rope drop and power walk to a different tier 1 ride or two with little wait, grab a snack and enjoy yourself until she arrives. I do this all the time. I'm an early bird, but many are not. They don't hold me back, and I don't insist they get going with me at the crack of dawn. It's so much less stressful when everyone is getting to go at a comfortable time for them. It just takes a little compromise. And, of course she could decide to get up and go with you! You will both have a happier morning if she doesn't feel forced. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I'm not a morning person, but an adult, so I deal. At WDW, its great! I also take a large break in the middle of the day and while I might not nap, a rest at the pool or in the room is wonderful. I play to the RD and late night touring hours:)

Uhh. No one told you that keeping time and hours at Disney, isn't the same as not at Disney?!! My husband calls it "being under the dome". All things are possible under the Disney dome! Late nights and early mornings,
Never being bitten by mosquitos, the ability to walk 12 miles a day like it's your norm etc. That being said, the deciding factor for me would be how far is your resort from AK? Because the return to the room trip, and getting settled for bed could be really short, say to AKL or much farther like the Contemporary. It's not mean, it's just wanting to get the most out of your time there. Which we all want. Amiright:)

Fantastic!! Love that perspective!

Taking my girlfriend for 4 nights / 1 day each park. Plan is to stay at AK until 12 / 1 am (hours are extended for Pandora that night) for our AK day. Is it too mean to expect her to rope drop Epcot the following morning at 9 am?

Nope not at all. I would take a mid day break at AK or get a later start. This is how we tour all the time (even when MK was open to 3 am in the summer).

How old is she? I could have handled that until I was about 40. But today I want to swoon at the thought.

Magic word here is compromise. Talk to each other and find a happy medium that fits your needs. Personally, I see Disney trips a marathon and go rope drop to close every night for 5 nights straight. My feet are dead, I'm exhausted but goodness it is fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter