Am I going to lose my kids in the Boneyard?

McKelly

DIS Veteran
Two years ago I took my then DD4 and my DS2 to the HISTKP in MGM and panicked because I couldn't see them. I didn't go to the Boneyard later in the trip because I was just paranoid I was going to lose my children. I have that paranoid mom thing, I know. Is the Boneyard very similar to the play area in MGM, or are you able to keep track of your children a little better. If not, I think I might avoid it all together for this trip, or at least keep my DS4 out of there. Any thoughts?

The Boneyard is not as bad as the HISTKP as far as "loosing sight" of the kids. I spent about 45 minutes in HISTKP with my 4 yr old nephew and hated it. I kept loosing sight of him, and I kept hitting my head on the low tunnels trying to run after him.

The Boneyard is much larger but much more open. I could stand in the area at the top of some of the slides, watch my nephew slide down, and then watch him walk back to where I was. (And could shout to him if he wasn't going where I wanted him to). The Boneyard is also much easier for the adults to walk around in.

There is also a great section where there are "dinosaur bones" hidden in sand that the kids can uncover. In this section, the adults can just sit and relax as the kids "dig" for "fossils".

I know what you mean about the playground at MGM...although I've heard they've changes it so that the entrance and exit are together now. I was so worried my kids were going to wander out without me seeing them.

The boneyard is great!! Your kids could very well be out of sight for a few minutes but they can only exit in one spot. So, if you park yourself at the entrance/exit you know your kids can't leave without you. The only place that is really out of site is the sandbox/ dino dig area). Kids have to follow a ramp to get into the sandbox. BUT they cannot leave the sandbox without coming back to the main exit. The rest of the boneyard is a basically a big climbing structure...what goes up, must eventually slide/climb back down.

Jess

I totally agree with everyone on this. The Boneyard is MUCH better. I too was paranoid about my DD in the HISTK playground and at 5'9" I killed my back trying to go through the tunnels. You'll feel much more comfortable at the Boneyard and be able to keep up with you kids easier as well.

I AGREE WITH YOU ALL ALSO....HOWEVER MY NEPHEW LOVED THE BONEYARD. THE ENTRANCE & EXITS IS AT THE SAME PLACE. I AM 6'2 AND BANGED MY HEAD DOZENS OF TIMES. AND THERE IS NO WHERE TO EVEN SIT OUTSIDE OF IT AND WAIT!

ITS ONE OF THE RARE FEW ATTARACTIONS THAT ADULTS & KIDS CAN'T SHARE THE EXPERIENCE.

:crazy:

You are not alone. I hated HISTKP and as soon as I caught sight of my DS, I took him out. We skipped the boneyard for the same reason you did. I'm glad that you started this thread. Sounds like we're in for a treat.

DS (6) can't wait for the boneyard! I've already told DH that it will be his job to chase DD (2) anywhere she goes!

Barbara

HISTKP now only has 1 entrance/exit too. So, everyone can go back. Still no easier to see your kids. We have 1 parent camp out at the ent/exit and another try to follow the kids. Either way we know they aren't leaving w/o us.

We also like the boneyard layout much better. Yes, while there is only one entrance/exit now over at MGM it is still sometimes hard to find your kids there. The boneyard seems to be much more open and you loose sight of your child only while they are coming down a slide and then they are in sight again.

Thanks for all the tips, I think I will give the Boneyard a try this trip!!

The only thing you will lose in the Boneyard is your patience!:hyper:

Just kidding, of course, but what is it about kids and sand boxes?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter