Am I crazy to go to DW the first week of June?

mojokitty

Earning My Ears
We went for the first time in Nov. The weather was perfect and the crowds were lower. We did rope drop and left about 2 or 3 every day.
We are thinking about going the first week of June but i'm worried about crowds. Is it usually pretty bad? Crowd calendars that I have found seem to disagree with each other. We will have a DAS pass so that will help with wait times.
I know it will be hot but I'm hoping to beat it by going early, leaving midday and coming back at night.

My opinion of crowd calendars is very low, so I'll just leave it at that. June is a wonderful time to go, we have made many June trips...and will again this June. It's crowded, but WDW is always crowded. June isn't any worse than other non-major holidays. In fact, the past few summers have been pretty darn good. FP+ are readily available.

There's nothing wrong with doing the midday break thing if that's what you want to do, but it's definitely not necessary. First, just some simple common sense helps with the heat. Light clothing, sunscreen, hat, drink plenty of water (get free ice water at any QS place), etc... Also, just use the midday to do rides that are indoor. In WDW, that's probably well more than 1/2 of them. Things like Mickey's Philharmagic, FoTLK, Soarin', FEA, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Star Tours, Frozen Ever After, etc...are terrific midday activities. You get to sit (or stand) in the a/c for long periods. Avoid things like Tomorrowland Speedway or EE where you're outside without a/c. Again, nothing wrong with a midday break, but if you don't want to, you don't have to.

Following along..we are hoping to go again either the first or second week of June. I know it's going to be crazy hot, so we will just have to plan accordingly and pace ourselves. Last week was a touch too cold, I think. Right now we have the second week of June booked, but might move it to the first week depending on availability....

Our experience is mostly mid to late June, but I'm not sure that there's really any difference between the first week of June and the second. Weather is similar and I'm sure crowds are too. Southern schools get out at the end of May, and northern schools are usually mid-late June. We honestly don't notice any difference between mid and late June. Neither are "packed". The very last days of June get a bit busier, as the 4th of July crowd starts to come...but even that isn't bad (we've also done many 4th of Julys, which are AWESOME). The one nice thing about June is that the 15s haven't arrived yet, they show up in July.

Our experience is mostly mid to late June, but I'm not sure that there's really any difference between the first week of June and the second. Weather is similar and I'm sure crowds are too. Southern schools get out at the end of May, and northern schools are usually mid-late June. We honestly don't notice any difference between mid and late June. Neither are "packed". The very last days of June get a bit busier, as the 4th of July crowd starts to come...but even that isn't bad (we've also done many 4th of Julys, which are AWESOME). The one nice thing about June is that the 15s haven't arrived yet, they show up in July.

Ah, the fifteens. Haven't experienced them yet, and hope to avoid them if possible. From the various reports and posts I have read and combining those with my experiences with other BTGs last week, I think that would be enough to drive me completely bonkers.

What's 15s?

What's 15s?
The South American tour groups. In South America, a lot of it being Brazil (and I think Argentina is the other), a girls' 15th b-day is akin to a Sweet 16 here in the USA. Many of those girls want a trip to WDW for their 15th b-day. So there are tour groups which consist of nothing but packs of 20-60+ girls all 15 years old. They have "guides" with them, who are often about as attentive as the 15 year old girls are. WDW has CMs who's job is to specifically deal with them. They walk through the park in giant packs, waiving their tour group flags and chanting...loudly. It's annoying, but really that's not really a big deal. The "big deal" comes when they go on rides. First, they can really clog up a line since the pack is so large. Second, they often try to link arms and go in as a chain...which means they'll often cut people off, etc... They only come in July. I don't want to make it sound ALL bad. Most of the girls individually seem sweet...many times I've seen them smile at my kids or just be nice to them. The problem comes when they get in the "pack" mentality. They're not mean or nasty in the pack, but just ignorant to what's going on around them. The parks aren't completely over run by them, but there's enough of them that you'll notice them.

If your crazy your not alone. Because my daughter has visits to a couple of engineering schools we cannot leave home until June 1st and will be in WDW from June 3rd to June 12th. And we have done this time before.

I went the first week of June last year for ten days. It isn't that bad if you get there before rope drop. We also had a DAS and that helped with the rides that our DAS holder would ride. We only had one day when it was so hot we couldn't stand it. It rains a lot so there is usually cloud coverage. Make sure you have good ponchos, we had to wear them often. The day it was super hot we were praying for rain to cool us off and bring some clouds. We purchase a little higher quality ponchos than the disposable type. We bought the kind with buttons so sleeves because when it is windy the cheaper ones without sleeves get you all wet. I got them on Amazon and they have Disney rain slickers for kids that are adorable and light weight.

The South American tour groups. In South America, a lot of it being Brazil (and I think Argentina is the other), a girls' 15th b-day is akin to a Sweet 16 here in the USA. Many of those girls want a trip to WDW for their 15th b-day. So there are tour groups which consist of nothing but packs of 20-60+ girls all 15 years old. They have "guides" with them, who are often about as attentive as the 15 year old girls are. WDW has CMs who's job is to specifically deal with them. They walk through the park in giant packs, waiving their tour group flags and chanting...loudly. It's annoying, but really that's not really a big deal. The "big deal" comes when they go on rides. First, they can really clog up a line since the pack is so large. Second, they often try to link arms and go in as a chain...which means they'll often cut people off, etc... They only come in July. I don't want to make it sound ALL bad. Most of the girls individually seem sweet...many times I've seen them smile at my kids or just be nice to them. The problem comes when they get in the "pack" mentality. They're not mean or nasty in the pack, but just ignorant to what's going on around them. The parks aren't completely over run by them, but there's enough of them that you'll notice them.
Thanks for the response- and ugh!

OMG. I had no idea!!! So glad we are doing June instead of July now!!!!

Following along...we're thinking of this same time period. It's been a couple years, but our last trips were in July and April. We survived the heat of July by doing rope drops most days, taking an afternoon break, and sometimes returning in the evenings. For us, using some sort of touring plans was key. I figure early June couldn't be much worse, right?

We went for the first time in Nov. The weather was perfect and the crowds were lower. We did rope drop and left about 2 or 3 every day.
We are thinking about going the first week of June but i'm worried about crowds. Is it usually pretty bad? Crowd calendars that I have found seem to disagree with each other. We will have a DAS pass so that will help with wait times.
I know it will be hot but I'm hoping to beat it by going early, leaving midday and coming back at night.
June now has lower crowds than most of November. There are no really low crowd times at WDW anymore, but June won't be crazy, except perhaps at the water parks.

We've been a few times in July in recent years, and it was great. Saw some tour groups but they were not at all problematic. Crowds overall were relatively low.

We went the first week in June in 2016. It was our first trip and from all the feedback we got, we thought it was going to be packed and we wouldn’t get to do anything. We got all the ADR’s that we wanted (180 days out) and when in the parks it was busy but we got to ride and a lot. The only draw back we noticed was it was really hot.

With the way crowds have been trending the last few years, I'd currently rather go in June/July than pretty much any other time of the year. Yes, the heat can be tough, but it's manageable.

Going for our 3rd June trip this year. Frankly after August last year June will seem like a cool front LOL! And we still had a great time.
June is my favorite time to go actually. And I would far far rather be hot at Disney than cold (froze our you-know-whats off over New Years!!). There are tons of places and tricks for a quick cool off as @Klayfish mentioned. Walk through AC connected shops, if we eat on property we tend to schedule an ADR for 1pm to cool off then head to pool for a bit, or if we want to push on then it is show time. The advantage to doing shows in heat of day is this is usually when there is a quick shower so you miss it :)

We've done the first week of June a few times and end of June. My experience is the first week of June is a little less crowded but it's really not a significant difference. A lot of schools aren't out yet so that probably helps a little but it's not crazy busy at either time IMO. Anytime is a good time for WDW!

Going for our 3rd June trip this year. Frankly after August last year June will seem like a cool front LOL! And we still had a great time.
June is my favorite time to go actually. And I would far far rather be hot at Disney than cold (froze our you-know-whats off over New Years!!). There are tons of places and tricks for a quick cool off as @Klayfish mentioned. Walk through AC connected shops, if we eat on property we tend to schedule an ADR for 1pm to cool off then head to pool for a bit, or if we want to push on then it is show time. The advantage to doing shows in heat of day is this is usually when there is a quick shower so you miss it :)

Yes, we thought the same thing. During our June visits it was hot but not August hot. We're from SC and our last trip was August 2017, it was hotter in SC than in Central Florida so that helped us some to not die but it was a steamy visit. I enjoyed the midday showers!!

How is the rain in the beginning of June? Last time we went was in early May, it ended up being 10 degrees warmer than expected--mid 90s when we were expecting mid 80s, but there was only one late afternoon shower.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter