Am i crazy? Long haul flight then straight to parks?

Ellie Webbs

DIS Veteran
We fly from the UK in the morning and are set to land at SFB just after 4pm. Am I crazy to try and drag my exhausted husband onto FOP (provided we can get a FP) after a 9 hour flight?

Depends on if you can rest on the flight or not (I know coming this way from the UK is harder to sleep on). We were exhausted just from the trip coming in from Seattle (granted we didn't have a direct flight but still less than 9 hours). We did a few things at MK that evening and it wasn't too bad after a small nap. I'd probably try to drag myself off to do FOP but head back early to try to sleep.

It's doable if you only want to ride FOP. Remember it takes about an hour to get from Stanstead to WDW pluss the time it takes to get through customs etc.

Me and DH flew direct from UK last year in September and landed around the same time as you, but at MCO. We went straight to DS for a bite to eat and just a quick look in the dress shop. I was so exhausted that I almost fell asleep, so it wasn't really that enjoyable to be honest.

Depends on if you can rest on the flight or not (I know coming this way from the UK is harder to sleep on). We were exhausted just from the trip coming in from Seattle (granted we didn't have a direct flight but still less than 9 hours). We did a few things at MK that evening and it wasn't too bad after a small nap. I'd probably try to drag myself off to do FOP but head back early to try to sleep.
That's similar to my plan. Literally AK for FOP and maybe a drink and admiring Pandora at night then bed. We're are staying at AKL so that makes the journey shorter, DH may kip on the plane but I'm a nervous flyer (not the flying the space issue) so I'll either be full of nervous energy or dead as a door nail lol

It's doable if you only want to ride FOP. Remember it takes about an hour to get from Stanstead to WDW pluss the time it takes to get through customs etc.

Me and DH flew direct from UK last year in September and landed around the same time as you, but at MCO. We went straight to DS for a bite to eat and just a quick look in the dress shop. I was so exhausted that I almost fell asleep, so it wasn't really that enjoyable to be honest.
Did you find you still woke up super early?

I wouldn't do it but that's just me. There are plenty of hardcores around here that would though.
I would rather rest and be fresh as a daisy the next day.
We are rope dropping MK and then travelling to Epcot the next day, so point well taken!

Lol, yes :rotfl:I woke up at 3.30am in the mornig and I was starving. Couldn't sleep a wink after that, so I just stayed in bed and waited for the food court to open at 6am.
Ouch!!!!! Earliest I've woken is 4.30 so I went for a walk. DH has the irritating ability to adjust immediately to different time zones to when i got back i switched on another light every half hour and slightly turned the TV up. Still took him 2 hours top get the point 😂😂😂😂

Given all of the other things you have said, Yes, I would go for it. Especially if that is the only FOP FP+ you can get.

Have a great trip!

Depends on how each person responds to the flight, lack of sleep. And how many days you will be there.
If we are staying a shorter, I am more willing to push.
Personally, I would enjoy the resort, relax and get ready for the next day.
We are rope dropping MK and then travelling to Epcot the next day, so point well taken!
If you do AK as soon as you get there, I would make it a short night as the next day looks full.

uck....I would just enjoy my resort that night. Cuz also FOP turns into something else and then you stay up late and had planned for rope drop.

I often wake up at 5am and drive(6/7 hours) to Disneyland and head to the parks. But for our trip to Disneyworld we are actually coming in a day early (don't arrive until 5:30pm) and even the next day we don't plan on going to the parks. I think the difference for us is that none of us have been to WDW in a long time if ever so I want to take the 1st day easy and explore the resort.

Don't do it! DH and I fly frequently between Europe and Florida and the jet lag really takes its toll. By the time you get from SFB to AKL (after collecting luggage and clearing customs and immigration), I'm guessing it will be at least 6-7 pm. My guess is that you will have been up for 20+ hours by that point.

I would try to settle in and enjoy the hotel, get rested for the following day.

Either way - I would try to stay up and be outside. Natural light is supposed to help your internal clock adjust. I travel for work to the UK and China. I try to stay up the first day and go to bed at a normal time for the time zone. I've made the mistake of falling asleep early and waking up super early. That's really not any fun. I would also suggest you stay hydrated and avoid alcohol the first day.

I would. We wake up a 4am, drive 15 hours and head directly to a park.

But, it definitely requires a good attitude.
Wow! You get there at 7pm and go straight to a park? No way I could do that after a 15-hour drive. I tried it after a 12-hour drive once, and I thought I was literally going to collapse in the middle of Hollywood Studios and fall asleep, LOL!

Props to you, though! You're made of tougher stuff than I am!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!