Am I crazy, going to Universal with toddlers.

Does anyone know if the new Jurassic Park ride construction has affected the huge playground area there? That's another really fun area for kids to play.

The new Jurassic Park ride is being created in CA, not FL. More than likely they're going to see how well it executes before bringing it here I'm guessing.

The new Jurassic Park ride is being created in CA, not FL. More than likely they're going to see how well it executes before bringing it here I'm guessing.

I believe they are talking about the new JP Coaster being built at the moment at IOA.

To answer the original question, Camp Jurassic area (the big play area) has been unaffected thus far by the construction.

I believe they are talking about the new JP Coaster being built at the moment at IOA.

To answer the original question, Camp Jurassic area (the big play area) has been unaffected thus far by the construction.

Thanks for letting me know, I got mixed signals when I looked into it. Now I'm excited.

OP, have you ever been to either park? Have you checked to see if your child will be allowed to ride spiderman and the like?

Have you looked into sea world? We had a 2.5 yr old on our last visit and SW was his favorite.

Hi, I am taking an 8, 5, and 1.5 year old to Universal in August. We are having trouble deciding between Cabana Bay and Portofino. We know the advantages of both (CB being close VB, having a food court, and a suite room, and Portofino having larger rooms, express pass and nicer grounds). My question is, do any of you have any input on how to choose between these two? I think that we will spend a lot of time back at the hotel because it will be so hot. Thoughts? Thanks!

We just came back and had a 3yr and a 1.5yr old.

My 3yr old boy was 42” so he was able to go on majority of the rides.

When we booked we didn’t think there would be enough for the kids. We were wrong. Minions, Shrek, Seuss land, Barney, Harry Potter areas and jerrasic park to name a few.

As long as your 4yr is brave as is 42”+ I say do it.

Hi, I am taking an 8, 5, and 1.5 year old to Universal in August. We are having trouble deciding between Cabana Bay and Portofino. We know the advantages of both (CB being close VB, having a food court, and a suite room, and Portofino having larger rooms, express pass and nicer grounds). My question is, do any of you have any input on how to choose between these two? I think that we will spend a lot of time back at the hotel because it will be so hot. Thoughts? Thanks!

We loved Portofino. Nicely themed, pool area I was told is best of all the resorts. The express passes itself make the decision easy when you compare with Cabana Bay.

a 5 and a 3.5yo

The kids are SO excited for Spiderman, Minions, and OMG Harry Potter.

Can the kids of those ages do those attractions?

I only have the one kid so once we were done with a height my brain moved ON, plus my kid was always tall, so I'm out of touch. But do make sure.

And there are no main Potter characters there. The Knight Bus conductor and then choir stuff. Depending on how liberal you've been with the movies at their ages, they might have NO clue who or what those things are.

The baby swap concept is so much better and makes more sense at Universal than Disney. Also, they seem to advertise it and encourage it a lot more. However, Universal seems to have always had it planned out, with the fact that you have actual rooms in order to wait in on top of that, you get to sit and relax in air conditioning. It makes sense though they'd be prepared, because it is geared for a more mature audience. However, I like the fact that Universal thought about that ages ago and planned accordingly.

Disney's concept seemed so obscure I had to actually look it up years ago. The idea of having to wait outside of the entrance seems ridiculous to me, considering most of the time that means you're essentially waiting in the heat and sun. I bet children and parents are thrilled to do that... Then on top of that, you have to go through the FP line, where as at Universal you walk from the room onto the ride. Which typically is only a few feet away.

Disney gets a lot of people trying to sneak little kids on. I think that's why they don't want little ones anywhere near loading zones.

And back when the swap pass allowed you the whole day to ride, smart parents took their kids elsewhere, so they were NOT just waiting. They were doing something.

Also which hotel in US to consider if there there for 2 or more nights?

If the adults will be riding the big rides, go with an express pass hotel so you can do things quicker.

I think that little ones CAN have fun at Universal, but it takes planning and patience on the part of the adults. The adults have to be willing to spend time at Barney. To spend hours at the Fievel playground, at the Curious George area, in the ballpit behind CG, at the Jurassic area. The adults can't just give those areas short shrift and then move on; those will BE Universal for the little ones so you have to give them all the time they want. Which is another reason to get the EP hotel, so that one parent can hang out with the kiddies, doing Barney AGAIN, while the other adult goes and plays for an hour or two. Then switch it out.

Assuming Animal Actors is still going on, DO IT. I had never gone, not in all my UO trips, and not in 3 separate park days at USH, but we finally caught it last Saturday, and it was so good! I love the pets show at Seaworld in San Diego, and don't know why I kept letting AA go unseen.

Disney gets a lot of people trying to sneak little kids on. I think that's why they don't want little ones anywhere near loading zones.

And back when the swap pass allowed you the whole day to ride, smart parents took their kids elsewhere, so they were NOT just waiting. They were doing something.

Makes a lot more sense to have the ability to do it all day, especially with small children, however, at the same time I understand why they have a limit of time on it now. Due to the fact that they're using FP line and certain times run out, or with certain rides they run out of ALL the times it would increase congestion and unpredictability of the FP line if parents were to arrive whenever they chose.

It would be nice if they had a separate line (which won't happen I know), or they at least went through one of the CM ways (there has to be a short cut somewhere).

I remember when I had to do a wheel chair at Universal (before they had wheelchairs go through regular queues) they had me take different routes in order to get onto the ride. I would imagine it wouldn't be difficult for them to do the same for the swap pass individuals at Disney, however they'd have to increase ride attendant CMs and on the downside, it would "ruin the magic" if children saw areas that typically guests aren't allowed to see.

I took my son at 2.5 in 2016 and he loved Seussland and the ball park in the curious George area. He was afraid of the dragon at DA and cried when we were exchanging money with the goblin! We had fun and at 4 he still remembers it. That being said, he loved Disney too. There was more to do for him. Since we only have one child, we did cater to him, hardly did any child swaps. We’re going back in July, 3 days at Universal and a week at Disney. If you can swing it, maybe split your time between Disney and Universal?

I wont lie there's not tthhhhaaaaat much to do for kids that age so it might be more fun for you then them but there is still stuff to do. And if anything you just do a weekend trip and enjoy the pools and hotel? Be able to sleep in since you wont need to spend that much time at the park? But also kids that young can be entertained easily so maybe if they aren't able to go on most of the rides they'll still enjoy the different theming and lands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter