Alternative family travel for December

aggiedog

DIS Veteran
We currently have a deposit down for G Adventures Family Journeys trip to Japan for this December. The deposit is only $300/person, PIF isn't until 90 days out, for the 6 of us, plus my parents. We haven't got tickets yet as we had just really started looking when the pandemic hit. We should be able to transfer the deposit to something further out.

So, I'm pretty sure that financially it would be irresponsible to spend that much on a trip right now. We're fine, but with 3 kids in college next year, and the economy doing who knows what, we'd really rather keep a large cushion in the bank (thank goodness, since I drew no pay for 5 weeks during the initial shut down.) I'm also not sure I want to be on a plane that long and in a big city, assuming Americans will even be let into foreign countries any time soon.

I still want to do something in December, as that will be the last year that the oldest girls will still be in college, so everyone has guaranteed time off. (well, presumed guaranteed, who knows what schools will be doing :( )

To add another layer of complexity, if my parents come with us, we can't do too many really active things - they're 78 with so, so knees and healthy but not athletic (so no skiing, snowshoeing, etc.)

We live in Texas and no experience with driving in snow, etc.

All of you experienced travelers, any ideas on economical vacations in the US? I'd actually love Yellowstone, though unsure if I can sell that to the family. I was also thinking the Florida Keys. We're not huge beach goers in general (lots of red heads) and like off the beaten path things, and we love trying new foods. We could do some more active pursuits and leave the parents for a day, but wouldn't want to make a whole trip of that. I'd love to go to Hawaii but I'm afraid over Christmas it will be very expensive.

I know we can't really plan much for certain now, but I thought if I had a few ideas, we could see how things look 6-8 weeks out and decide then. That is so NOT my usual way to plan, but life isn't normal right now, is it??

Some suggestions that come to mind are California. I've found San Diego and Monterey to be some of the areas I liked the most there.

I wouldn't count out Hawaii expense-wise. Price out what you can find and you might be surprised that you can make it work.

We lived in San Diego twice. It is a great city. That's not a bad suggestion as I know the out of the way places there, AND we could do unlimited Rubio's fish tacos. Always a bonus! Ds is routing for Hawaii. It's been 25 years since I've been there. We'll just have to wait and see what the world is like.

We also live in TX, and I'm looking at something for my son and me to do in December, since our Nat Geo trip to Alaska was cancelled yesterday.

At the top of my list right now are inn-to-inn hiking trips, either at Yosemite or Bryce and Escalante National Parks, with a company called Wildland Trekking (we did Havasu Falls with them a couple of years ago and had an amazing experience!) OR a repeat trip to Banff (assuming Canada is open to foreigners). I don't really like cold weather, and I've certainly never driven in the snow, but I'm assuming the roads will be well-plowed (alternatively, there are shuttle-services available), and I think that town must be absolutely stunning at Christmas-time. We visited last summer, and I wouldn't mind going back at all.

I have not booked anything, yet, though.

I've done inn to inn hiking in Spain. It is a wonderful way to see the countryside.

I lived in Upper Michigan growing up (but moved to Texas at 14 so before learning to drive.) I was also in Banff 2 Octobers ago when they had record snow and ice - our tour had to go 14 hours out of our way to get to our next destination because the roads were so treacherous. Even without record breaking storms, I'd say that I wouldn't assume the roads will be fine. Probably mostly fine, but if you don't know how to recover from a skid or how to anticipate black ice, or when chains are appropriate, then maybe not so much. I probably know enough to know what's dangerous, which makes me more cautious than the average southern driver. I grew up never leaving the house in the winter without full boots, jacket, mittens, etc, with extra food in the car, blankets, icescraper, and shovel, even for short trips, because you just never knew what might happen and accidents in the cold can be dangerous just due to temps. I didn't get rid of my ice scraper in Texas until I was 20 something, that's how ingrained it was in me. :)

I do think Banff would be amazing at Christmas. It is so beautiful up there. And the shuttles in Banff are super easy to use, and pretty cheap.

If you have any other ideas later, please come back and share. I'm all ears.

I would say Banff or Jackson Hole...so wonderful around Christmas but be ready to open your wallet!!! We go to Jackson Hole every year flying in a couple of days right after New Years...the kids usually miss the first day back to school...but the houses we rent go for 10-20k for a week Christmas-New Years and we get them from 1-5k!! Well worth waiting!!

I noticed Hawaii was similar. Prices before Jan 1 were twice those after Jan 1. We'll see. It kills me to not be able to plan, but I'm going to have to put my big girl panties on and deal with it.

I noticed Hawaii was similar. Prices before Jan 1 were twice those after Jan 1. We'll see. It kills me to not be able to plan, but I'm going to have to put my big girl panties on and deal with it.

It is tough. Southwest hasn't even released their schedule past October (which is actually normal for them), and who knows what the schedule will look like.

After fighting with United over this refund that they owe me, I am very hesitant to book any flights only to be rescheduled to some terrible itinerary that I'm stuck with. I don't need anymore stinking vouchers!

It is tough. Southwest hasn't even released their schedule past October (which is actually normal for them), and who knows what the schedule will look like.

After fighting with United over this refund that they owe me, I am very hesitant to book any flights only to be rescheduled to some terrible itinerary that I'm stuck with. I don't need anymore stinking vouchers!
United does not have a happy following right now....so glad all my flights were with other companies...my Delta Peru trip took 2 minutes on phone to cancel then received entire refund in 1 day and AA took a couple of weeks but no hassle!! I’ve heard nothing but horrible from United!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!