Als

disneydude41

Earning My Ears
Hello there,
Hopefully someone in here will know about this disease. I suffer from ALS ( Lou Gehrigs disease )... and, although I am in the early stages and still get around pretty good... I do basically stay in a wheelchair, and some days have really bad spells with muscle spasms that cause my limbs and head to jerk around uncontrollably.... My Family and I have chose to take our children to WDW this summer while I can still enjoy the trip myself....
What I am wanting to know is if anyone out there can help me with a list of rides I would still be able to do if I happen to have one of my " bad days "... on the good days I will be fine with most of it..... but I`m worried about the bad ones.....

Thanx.....Mike

Mike,

I know nothing at all about ALS, but I do have a condition that prevents me transferring out of my wheelchair into ride cars. This prevents me from going on about 40% of the attractions at WDW. But I still enjoy myself. I enjoy the sun. I enjoy the air. I watch people. I go to all the 'theatre' type attractions. I people watch. I shop. I do most of the pre-shows then take the 'chicken exit' whilst my wife rides.

You can pick up a booklet 'Disney for People with Disabilities' at any of the parks, which describes access to each attraction. I wouldn't worry though. It doesn't matter if you never go on a single ride, you will enjoy your visit anyway. Besides, I am sure the excitement of your children will more than compensate for the few things you miss.

Andrew

Welcome to disABILITIES. I am well aware of what ALS is (I work in a rehab hopsital).
There are many rides/attractions where you can stay in your wheelchair for the wait in line and for the entire ride. The MK has the least and is least accessible, since it is the oldest park. AK and MGM are both good since they were built later. Epcot is kind of in the middle.
Here's a link to the DIS page about touring with mobility disabilities. It has a list of rides where you need to transfer into a ride car and rides where you can stay in your wheelchair.
You can also download a copy of each park's Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities at the official Disney website. The guidebooks are not real comprehensive, but one of the useful features is a brief description of each ride so you will know ahead of time if it is a slow, gentle ride or a turbulant thrill ride. They also list how long each ride lasts which might be really useful to you as you get tired. The park maps are also marked with handy icons to tell you which ones you can stay in the wheelchair - those are marked with the wheelchair icon. The ones where you have to transfer to a ride car are marked with a wheelchair icon with a person standing next to it.
Here's some pixie dust for a great trip.

Hi Mike- I also have ALS, though in the late stages. I get around in a Permobil with a ventilator and feeding pump attached. As such, I am unable to transfer so there are very few rides I can do. You're making a wise decision to take your trip now while you're in the early stages. It would be helpful if you could say what your limitations are. For instance, can you take a few steps with assistance or a walker, can you transfer, do you have neck/back weakness, etc. That way it's easier to figure out what rides you could enjoy. ---Kathy

Thanx so much all of u ....especially u Kathy. In answer to your question, I can actually still walk....(well, I think so anyways... ask my wife and u get a different answer...lol), but i do walk well enough to transfer to a ride vehicle. my lower back and neck strength is alright.. except on those days that I am having those dreaded spasms really bad. on those days I have to wear a neck brace to hold my head up. I only retired from work last month, so overall I am still doing pretty well. ( no peg tube, no vent, still semi ambulatory, etc. ) again, thank you SO MUCH for all your answers

Mike

Mike- You should then be okay on every attraction, but I'd look out for the ones that say those with back/neck trouble shouldn't ride...perhaps your wife could ride first and let you know how intense it is. I only say this as your spasms might be set off by a jerking motion. Do you have your own chair or will you be renting? It would be preferable to rent an ECV vs. being pushed as you'll have more freedom, but an ECV does require you to sort of lean forward ( not alot of upper body support provided) to drive it. It would also be a good idea to look at staying onsite as taking WDW transportation isn't as tiring. Do you have plans yet and know when you're coming? ---Kathy

Our last trip, we spent an entire day in Epcot doing nothing but hitting the live entertainment in the World Showcase and enjoying a nice lunch and dinner. It was a really fun day. There was so much going on that we had to sit down and figure out a time table so we could fit it all in in a logical fashion so we weren't zig-zagging back and forth much. I know I previously had a much more ride-oriented attitude, and now am much more into the other options.

Have a great time, and take care.

:wave: Cupcake

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter