Alright guys, I'm not sold on Happily Ever After...

I'm in the Loved It group. But I didn't care for Wishes, and so many people loved that one, so I totally get that it's subjective. I don't care that it doesn't have a story--I like lots of fireworks and pretty colors and HEA has that for sure. Could be better for you not to love it, because now your evenings can be freed up for riding rides with shorter lines, other parks, nice dinners, pool time at the resort, etc. If you want to see HEA, the whole evening gets taken up with preparing for that. 8-)

Although we have watched from the area in front of Caseys and enjoyed it, we rode Dumbo one night during HEA with kids (over and over) and they thought it was great! I do enjoy watching in front of the castle so I would do Dumbo or watch from somewhere else if we have 2 or more evenings to watch HEA!
I watched from BTMRR in June 2017 and it was so awesome!

My husband and I just got back from our 18 day wedding/honeymoon extravaganza, and we had the most amazing time. The last time we were there was March 2017 so there were lots of new things to experience this time around! I wanted to ask everyone else's opinion on the Happily Ever After show. We saw it three times this trip (one time from in front of Beast's Castle, twice from in front of Cinderella Castle) and to be quite honest....it is definitely not my favorite.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good show. The fireworks they are using are stunning, and the projection technology is very impressive. Good soundtrack, included a lot of my favorite movies, I definitely didn't NOT like the show.

But I was disappointed. When the show was over after our first viewing, I looked at my husband with a confused look on my face and said "Did I miss something? I feel like I missed something." There's just.....no point, I guess? There's no story being told, or overarching theme (that I was able to discern). It seemed like a sort of random mash-up of Disney movies, with no cohesive theme or even reasonable transitions between them. It felt like a Disney IP showcase, and don't get me wrong, I LOVE Disney movies and have no problem experiencing them. But when I think of Wishes, and I remember my first time seeing Wishes last March, I IMMEDIATELY understood it. It was telling me something, and it instantly resonated. I didn't need to ask, I got the overall point and message of the show. I suppose I expected the same from the new show, and I didn't personally get that.

Also, as impressive as the projections on the castle are, it was kind of difficult to watch both the fireworks and the projections at the same time. I constantly felt like I couldn't see everything because I couldn't look at that many things at once. I actually felt like my favorite viewing of it was from Beast's castle, because I was able to just watch the fireworks going off with the music and not have the distraction of the projections. Maybe I'm trying to say I think this show relies too heavily on the projection technology? I don't know, still processing everything. I will say that we finally got to catch Once Upon A Time this trip and I loved that. Loved watching everything happen on the Castle, and not feeling the need to look at anything else.

I'm not trying to put down anyone who loves the show, this is all just my newly formed opinions on it. And I did really like it! Maybe I just need to stop comparing it to Wishes, but that is so hard to do seeing as this is supposed to be the replacement for Wishes! Does anyone else feel this way about the show, or is it only me? And if you do love the show, tell me why! I'd love to hear the reasons this show touches people the way Wishes touched me.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Every single thing you just said was right.

I was at the MK the second day they showed HEA and although I had heard the positive reviews from the first day I was still a little worried it would be too many projections and not enough fireworks.I've probably seen it a dozen times now and I agree with many reviews out there that although its obviously a better show than Wishes I'm not surprised when people say they prefer Wishes,so when the OP mentions it being a very impressive showcase of different movies but somehow falling short of Wishes I get it.For me my favorite all time show is Illuminations,I've seen that show possibly a couple hundred times and after watching it that many times I can finally admit there's 2-3 slow minutes in the show but it still is my favorite,the soundtrack is just that amazing and the day that show gets replaced even if the show is beyond amazing I'm guaranteed to be upset.I always loved Wishes but overall I'm good with HEA,its a very solid show,but knowing that Illuminations days are numbered I worry Disney will screw up the replacement by doing another show with a bunch of water screens,I dislike them in Fantasmic and RoL I saw it once and I'm not going back. #nowaterscreens

I really do not like "projection" shows for the single reason that it puts too much stress to find a decent viewing spot. Even when you do have a good spot, you then are crammed in like a sardine and then god forbid you have the folks that put their kid on their shoulder or hold up iPads / phones to block your viewing range. Projection shows really only work best when you have a stadium seating venue so all folks can see. Now, if you are not in the group closest to the castle, you are out of luck.

My husband and I just got back from our 18 day wedding/honeymoon extravaganza, and we had the most amazing time. The last time we were there was March 2017 so there were lots of new things to experience this time around! I wanted to ask everyone else's opinion on the Happily Ever After show. We saw it three times this trip (one time from in front of Beast's Castle, twice from in front of Cinderella Castle) and to be quite honest....it is definitely not my favorite.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good show. The fireworks they are using are stunning, and the projection technology is very impressive. Good soundtrack, included a lot of my favorite movies, I definitely didn't NOT like the show.

But I was disappointed. When the show was over after our first viewing, I looked at my husband with a confused look on my face and said "Did I miss something? I feel like I missed something." There's just.....no point, I guess? There's no story being told, or overarching theme (that I was able to discern). It seemed like a sort of random mash-up of Disney movies, with no cohesive theme or even reasonable transitions between them. It felt like a Disney IP showcase, and don't get me wrong, I LOVE Disney movies and have no problem experiencing them. But when I think of Wishes, and I remember my first time seeing Wishes last March, I IMMEDIATELY understood it. It was telling me something, and it instantly resonated. I didn't need to ask, I got the overall point and message of the show. I suppose I expected the same from the new show, and I didn't personally get that.

Also, as impressive as the projections on the castle are, it was kind of difficult to watch both the fireworks and the projections at the same time. I constantly felt like I couldn't see everything because I couldn't look at that many things at once. I actually felt like my favorite viewing of it was from Beast's castle, because I was able to just watch the fireworks going off with the music and not have the distraction of the projections. Maybe I'm trying to say I think this show relies too heavily on the projection technology? I don't know, still processing everything. I will say that we finally got to catch Once Upon A Time this trip and I loved that. Loved watching everything happen on the Castle, and not feeling the need to look at anything else.

I'm not trying to put down anyone who loves the show, this is all just my newly formed opinions on it. And I did really like it! Maybe I just need to stop comparing it to Wishes, but that is so hard to do seeing as this is supposed to be the replacement for Wishes! Does anyone else feel this way about the show, or is it only me? And if you do love the show, tell me why! I'd love to hear the reasons this show touches people the way Wishes touched me.

I miss Wishes! :sad1:

HEA is a great show, but it wouldn't bother me if I missed it. Wishes tugged at my heart. :love:

Last edited:
I think that if you are in front of the castle, where you can see all the projections it might be overwhelming,, I try not to focus on a specific thing, I let myself be taken away with the music and go where my eyes want me to go, fireworks or projections, I don't try to see it all at the same time, that's not possible. I have watched this show from a lot of different places, the Poly beach, Main Street by the train, the Hub, right in front of Crystal Palace, and each time I discover something different and each time I enjoy it even though I'm not getting the full blast of the show
Do you have to be staying at the Poly to watch the MK fireworks from the beach there? Or can any on site resort guests watch from there? Not sure how that works, so any input and tips on this would be greatly appreciated! TIA

Do you have to be staying at the Poly to watch the MK fireworks from the beach there? Or can any on site resort guests watch from there? Not sure how that works, so any input and tips on this would be greatly appreciated! TIA

No, you don’t need to be a Poly guest to watch from the Poly beach. You can see restrictions on days like 7/4 and NYE, but the other 363 days of the year, no restrictions.

From this past October. :-)

IMG_8480.jpg

Just you add to what @GADisneyDad14 if you are watching from the Poly beach be close tot he Club Lounge building (next to the pool and fire pit) and they actually pump the music from there loud and clear

I loved Wishes but absolutely ADORE HEA. It always baffles me that people don't see the story and think it's just a collection of music clips. Allow me to share my nerdiness with this show :)
After the opening song we start with Tiana making a wish on a star, we move through several characters wishing, hoping, dreaming of bigger, better, different things (Tiana, Little Mermaid, Ratatouille, Hunchback)
So after Wishing it's time to get out there and go grab your dream: (Brave, A Bugs Life, Cars, Up, Finding Nemo and Moana)
You need friends to help you along the way: (Aladdin, Tarzan, Lion King,Toy Story, Wreck it Ralph,Big Hero 6, Zootopia,Inside Out, Monsters University, Jungle Book)
You need love ones, not only romantic love but family (Frozen, Wall-E, Lion King,Tarzan, Dumbo,Up Tangled, Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Princess and the Frog,Little Mermaid)
And of course you will find some adversity along the way (Mulan,Lion King, Pirates)
But you persevere and peace is restored (I choke up at this moment) Hercules Go the Distance with Mufasa's voice in the background, a buttload of heroic songs from a buttload of movies, images come up on the castle)
And HEA reprise with voice over person telling us it's our turn to not only Wish but get out there and reach our happily Ever After, always remember we have the courage to fly (Tink)

So yeah, to me it's leaps and bounds better than Wishes

Oh my - thank you for this! I don't want to spoil the show by watching youtube but I was wondering what movies I needed to add to my kids' watch lists to make sure they got all the references and this is so perfect - thank you!

Although we have watched from the area in front of Caseys and enjoyed it, we rode Dumbo one night during HEA with kids (over and over) and they thought it was great! I do enjoy watching in front of the castle so I would do Dumbo or watch from somewhere else if we have 2 or more evenings to watch HEA!

we saw Wishes like that while riding Aladdin's carpet and it was just downright magical!

I find there's too much projection, and the fireworks aren't as potent as Wishes was. While I don't need a storyline, I find it's a big mishmash of things.

Pretty, impressive, worth seeing, but I guess I'm not a huge fan of projection technology. I don't love Star Wars at HS either, so I might just be grumpy.

Also, you kids get off my lawn!!

I'm with you. I liked the pure fireworks shows so much better than these projection-fireworks hybrids. I adored Symphony in the Stars - that might be, in my view, the best fireworks show Disney ever presented. Galactic Spectacular just doesn't live up. I think the projections detract from the music and the emphasis on familiar scenes/characters makes it feel more like a YouTube fan video compilation than an evening show worthy of the Disney parks.

I like HEA better than SW:AGS because the animated features and unique art are better suited for the projection medium than just pulling scenes and characters from a live-action movie, but I still don't like it as well as Wishes.

I love love LOVE fireworks. That being said, Wishes gave me the chills but HEA leaves me cold. Part of this--maybe most of this--is the music. For sure many of these songs must be quite popular, but "Go the Distance" has moved close to the top of my I Hope I Never Hear This Again list.

Totally agree! Too much projection, not enough fireworks. I miss Wishes!

Trying to view the projections is too stressful and was frankly a miserable experience for me so I have a negative view of HEA overall. Unless you want to devote hours to saving a spot (only to potentially lose your view last minute), you just have to give up trying to see anything and just watch from the back where it feels safer and more comfortable.

Loved Wishes. We stayed late to see it every MK visit. Gave HEA a chance on 3 different visits. Won't watch it again. The good news - we get more sleep on MK nights as we beat the crowds out the gate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter