Almost died yesterday

Oh my! Sometimes when my husband goes on a trip, I fix a steak. Not doing that anymore.

This reminded me, had to Heimlich my daughter twice when she was a toddler. Once in a grocery store. You have to be careful about it with little ones.

That's so scary! Glad you're OK.
My husbands Aunt passed away in 2016- she actually choked on a piece of steak, and was by herself. Her husband found her when he got home, but it was too late. Just devastating for the family.

This is one of my not so irrational fears!! I live alone and am almost scared to eat at home!!

I imagine most people learned the Heimlich in health class, not by their standard subject teacher.
:surfweb:

Yup, except she learned it in Elementary school, where we do not have health class. They used to learn it in gym class, as part of our CPR unit (they got certified in it!) but that's gone now too. So the Heimlich is not taught through the curriculum.

I hope you picked up your daughters tab!!!

Oh yes, husband paid for everyone! And we are looking hard at that Disney trip I owe her :)

Very good to read this worked out so well. You probably used up a lot of luck so maybe don’t play the lottery for a while. :)

So glad you're OK - I know exactly how scary that was for you. :flower3: Good job to your DD - she must be one cool little cucumber!

I choked on a piece of steak at a high-end place last Christmas. In a split second while swallowing I knew it was going down wrong and as is instinctive for most people, I was embarrassed and bolted from the booth to try and get somewhere private to hack and cough. For anyone reading this thread - that is EXACTLY THE WRONG THING TO DO, although first-aid training teaches it is extremely common. It was just God's grace I was able to cough it up; I'd fled to the ladies' room and my DH would not have found me until much too late.

I hope everyone will tuck this away in the back of their minds. In the event you choke, do whatever you can to attract attention instead of moving away from people.

Oh my! Sometimes when my husband goes on a trip, I fix a steak. Not doing that anymore.

Don’t deprive yourself of steak or any food because you might choke. Remember to cut food in small bites and to chew thoroughly, and to not rush through your meal. I remember when they taught us the Heimlich in school, they also taught us a method of using furniture to perform it on yourself if you are alone. Perhaps they might offer a class you can attend that would demonstrate this maneuver in addition to the more common Heimlich.

OP, I am happy you had a positive outcome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!