Almost 2 years old - what to see

Nicole Szydlowski

Earning My Ears
We are planning a trip to Disney next May after our RC cruise. It will be 4 adults and a 21 month old. I am thinking of staying 2 nights. Ideally I would like to Animal Kingdom, Magic Kingdom and at least 1 character meal that includes Mickey ( he is her favorite). I was planning on staying at the JW Marriott or Ritz since I am a Marriott card holder. Any advise, ideas, tips, reviews would be greatly appreciated, all of the info is so overwhelming and I haven't been to Disney in a long time. Thank you in advance:)

In/around those parks, the meals with Mickey would be Tusker House at Animal Kingdom, Ohana @ the Polynesian, and Chef Mickey's @ the Contemporary.

I've heard good things about Tusker House. Chef Mickey's is the only character meal with the whole gang but the food is meh from what I've heard. I did the character breakfast @ Ohana because I went with a 21 month old and didn't want to have to get up for food. I found magic kingdom to be extremely overwhelming for my kiddo, she was definitely happier at Epcot and Animal Kingdom....

My only thought is are you dead set on Animal Kingdom? This was our least favorite park for kids that age because it has less that is air conditioned compared to the other park, and hot kids = cranky kids. If you go, definitely do Kilimanjaro safaris and navi river journey, and definitely DON'T do the bug show, from which parents (myself included) frequently have to flee with terrified, shrieking children.

If you decide to do Epcot, which I think is great for that age, you can do the Mickey breakfast at Garden Grill, or nearby Cape May Cafe at the beach club. Attractions I would recommend for little ones are Nemo, Turtle Talk with Crush, Mickey meet and greet, Living with the land, the "Seas" aquarium, Spaceship Earth, Gran Fiesta Tour, Frozen Ever After, and just pushing them around the world showcase in a stroller to take in all the sights.

I know it's practically sacrilege here to say so, but AK is probably our favorite park! So I wouldn't change it (even though I would definitely do Epcot too if I had three days! - I do agree that little ones love it.)

If you want your character meal to be in a park, I'd do Tusker House. We've been twice, and enjoyed it both times.

Other AK tips:
Definitely do the safari.
Don't skip Rafiki's Planet Watch. (People forget it's out there.)
Don't rush! AK is a very "follow the magic" park - the fun is in the details. Stop and hear the music performers, etc.
And I agree with skipping the bug show!

MK Tips:
Know where the Baby Care Center is, and use if you need a break!
There's lots your little one can go on with you here. Check out a height requirement list for ideas.
(Here is the "any height" portion:
  • Astro Orbiter: Any height
  • Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin: Any height
  • Casey Jr. Splash ‘N’ Soak Station: Any height
  • Country Bear Jamoree: Any height
  • Dumbo the Flying Elephant: Any height
  • Enchanted Tales with Belle: Any height
  • The Hall of Presidents: Any height
  • Haunted Mansion: Any height
  • It’s a Small World: Any height
  • Jungle Cruise: Any height
  • Liberty Square Riverboat: Any height
  • Mad Tea Party: Any height
  • The Magic Carpets of Aladdin: Any height
  • Main Street Vehicles: Any height
  • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: Any height
  • Mickey’s PhilharMagic: Any height
  • Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor: Any height
  • Peter Pan’s Flight: Any height
  • A Pirate’s Adventure: Treasures of the Seven Seas: Any height
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: Any height
  • Prince Charming Regal Carrousel: Any height
  • Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom: Any height
  • Swiss Family Treehouse: Any height
  • Tom Sawyer Island: Any height
  • Tomorrowland Arcade: Any height
  • Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover: Any height
  • Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid: Any height
  • Walt Disney World Railroad: Any height
  • Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress: Any height
  • Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room: Any height
from this one - https://www.bestoforlando.com/articles/can-you-ride-check-walt-disney-worlds-height-requirements/.)

I agree that AK definitely feels hotter than other parks because of less air conditioned shops but our kids do love it even now that they are older. We love Tusker House - one of our favorite TS. The characters are fun since they are in adventure clothes. We love the safari but do it early - as the day gets hotter the animals and not as active. The park definitely has more hills than the others. Navi River Journey is nice for a young child plus it is air conditioned. We love love love the Lion King Show - not air conditioned but out of the heat. Our kids are older now and still love that show.

I do think EPCOT is great for little ones (we all really love EPCOT) but would not pick that over MK. There is just much more to see and do in MK.

My own experience with my toddler... we did Ohana breakfast, like someone else said, is not a buffet they bring the food to you, and you add a monotail ride to your day at Magic kingdom. Fastpass princesses meets and greets, ride winnie the pooh, small world, dumbo, Buzzlighyear, Dance party at tomorrowland, parades, splash zone, etc. There is a lot to see at MK for a toddler.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter