Allowed to sleep in rest areas in KY or TN?

SewBzzzy

Earning My Ears
We're trying to decide if we want to stop and get some "shut eye" on our way from Michigan the first night at a campground, Walmart or rest area? But we're confused on if it's allowed, by law, in Kentucky or Tennessee? :sad2: We're leaving Michigan (about an hour and a half north of Detroit) on a Friday around 1:00 p.m. and would like to drive to midnight or so the first day, then our second day would take us to Ocala, right outside of Disney - so we can arrive at the Fort early on a Sunday. :confused3 What are your suggestions? We hate to reserve a campsite that first night because we're not sure how far we'll get - depending on weather conditions. We can still have snow and ice storms here the end of March. :crazy2: Thank you!:grouphug:

In TN you can stop at a rest area for 2 hours. If you make it as far as Knoxville, there is a Walmart right off I-40/75 that I know alows overnight RV parking. There is also a Flying J just west of Walmart, right before the 40/75 split(with a dump station), all Flying J's will allow overnight parking when space is available. From Knoxville it is about 9 hours to Ocala(my parents live off exit 350 so I make this drive several time a year) or about 10.5/11 hours to Disney.

We live in Tennessee and see people camping overnight at Wal-Mart and Sam's Clubs all the time, It's a good idea to always ask first tho.

We travel in our RV all the time without making reservations in advance. We always have the Good Sam Trailer Life Directory with us. When we have an idea where we will be for the night, I start calling campgrounds to find out availability for that night. Most campgrounds are very helpful and we have never had a hard time finding a place at the last minute.

Rest areas aren't known as the safest places to stay overnight.

Is Walmart or Sams any safer? We live in a pretty good area and I'm always a little iffy going to Walmart after 10.. I'm not sure how safe I'd feel sleeping in the parking lot.

We always stay just south of Nashville at the Walmart. It is located at exit 67 on I65. It is a great location. There has never been less than a dozen rigs. I feel very secure there. Although, I must mention that the parking lot sweeper can be a bit loud in the wee hours of the morning.

Good luck,
Kim

Is Walmart or Sams any safer? We live in a pretty good area and I'm always a little iffy going to Walmart after 10.. I'm not sure how safe I'd feel sleeping in the parking lot.

Some have security roaming the lot.

It's up to the individual. For me, spending $30-$45 for a night at a campground is worth it. Others get by just fine Waldocking.

sew buzzy Hi Im also from Michigan:thumbsup2 about an hour from Detroit, have you drove to the Fort in the past? How long does it normally take? We were thinking of heading down in Nov-But would only be abel to stay for 5 days Im not sure it is worth it. We tow a 31' trailer. Oh weve never drove futher than Northern Ga. Thanks Nettii:goodvibes

I'm a fast traveller, so this is my drive time in an SUV via I-75:

Michigan 1 hour to get to Ohio
Ohio 3.0 hours
Kentucky 2.5 hours
Tenn 2.5 hours
Georgia 5-6 hours
Florida 2.75 hours

Just add your break/food/fuel time to this.

:cheer2: You're going to LOVE the Fort! We've driven to Disney approximately 6 or 7 times - in cars, trucks pulling pop-ups, trailers, etc. Last year my husband and I drove down in our 30' MH keeping it around 55 MPH. Our times were as follows, including rest stops, etc. - (we're in Oxford, MI):

From home to Cincinnatti, OH - 5.5 hours
Kentucky - 4 hours
Tennessee - 2-1/2 hours
Georgia - 6 hours
Florida to Disney - 3-1/2 or 4 hours, depending on traffic.

We usually leave around 1:00 p.m. and drive until 10:00 or 11:00 p.m., then drive the next day until into Florida, then to the Fort the 3rd morning. We've driven straight through in our "younger years", but tend to enjoy the drive more now. Hope this helps! :flower3:

That helps alot Thanks for the drive times. We are thinking of just driving and staying on site. Thnks again Nettii

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter