Allergy Help for Table Service!

midnight star

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone,
A family friend will be coming to the parks with my aunt and I next weekend! She has allergies to almonds (anaphylaxis to this), grass, cantaloupe, cheap metal, and most berries.

I found the allergy friendly menus for counter service, but where can I find them for the table service restaurants? Online I found just the regular menus for table service. We have lunch reservations for Cafe Orleans. I marked down on the reservation that we will need allergy accommodations. Is there anything else I need to do? I've been at the parks before with people with allergies, but they were mild, not as severe as these. She has never been to DL and wants to be safe with her food options.

The menus change so often now that I don't think you can go to one source and get them all. Maybe on the app? But I would not worry about it at all. I have a severe seafood allergy and when I was at Cafe Orleans last month they made a big deal about it and coming out and talking to me about it. They are very careful about it at Disneyland and especially at Cafe Orleans from my experience.

Hi everyone,
A family friend will be coming to the parks with my aunt and I next weekend! She has allergies to almonds (anaphylaxis to this), grass, cantaloupe, cheap metal, and most berries.

I found the allergy friendly menus for counter service, but where can I find them for the table service restaurants? Online I found just the regular menus for table service. We have lunch reservations for Cafe Orleans. I marked down on the reservation that we will need allergy accommodations. Is there anything else I need to do? I've been at the parks before with people with allergies, but they were mild, not as severe as these. She has never been to DL and wants to be safe with her food options.

Disney is well known for being amazing with allergies. When you check in at the podium remind them of the notation and the chef will more than likely come to speak with your party. If they don't offer this right away you can simply ask to speak with him/her too.

Does cheap metal include the serving utensils at restaurants or is it only to cheap jewelry, like things that have a high nickel content? If it includes utensils, your friend might want to bring along her own set of utensils in a zipper plastic bag or ask for plastic. Agree with the above posters that Disney is really good about dealing with food allergies at TS locations. Be proactive and clear with your communication. Repeat the allergy notation at check in, if the CM doesn't ask you about it, and repeat it with your server. Ask for a chef to speak with your friend to go over what she can eat or if she needs something customized. If she needs something customized, be prepared that it could take longer to prepare. I have lots of allergies and sensitivities and haven't had any issues at TS places. (I don't know if CO has an epi pen on site --NR does-- but in case of absolute emergency, I've been told that First Aid has epi pens.)

I think the reason why there's less information for table service is because most of them can go 'off menu' for allergies. They have more fresh ingredients and cook more 'from scratch' so if there's nothing on the menu that accommodates they are more able to 'look around the kitchen' and be able to put something together from the ingredients they have on hand.

Do NOT rely on those menus when allergies are this serious. Tell the first CM at QS that you have a very serious almond allergy & want to confirm with a chef that what you are going to order will be ok.

Also the allergy menus are kinda like a starting point anyway. They only list a few allergies & some suggestions. My sister has milk/gluten allergies and is a bit picky so she often confers with a chef at the table and they make sure they put something together that is safe for her that she will enjoy.

I’m assuming the metal allergy is to cheap jewelry and not food prep? If it is food prep related email Disney Guest relations now to see if it is even possible for her to dine safely at each of your expected QS & TS restaurants.

Whenever we eat at table service and say there are allergies in our party, the chef always comes to the table to discuss.

Does cheap metal include the serving utensils at restaurants or is it only to cheap jewelry, like things that have a high nickel content? If it includes utensils, your friend might want to bring along her own set of utensils in a zipper plastic bag or ask for plastic. Agree with the above posters that Disney is really good about dealing with food allergies at TS locations. Be proactive and clear with your communication. Repeat the allergy notation at check in, if the CM doesn't ask you about it, and repeat it with your server. Ask for a chef to speak with your friend to go over what she can eat or if she needs something customized. If she needs something customized, be prepared that it could take longer to prepare. I have lots of allergies and sensitivities and haven't had any issues at TS places. (I don't know if CO has an epi pen on site --NR does-- but in case of absolute emergency, I've been told that First Aid has epi pens.)

Do NOT rely on those menus when allergies are this serious. Tell the first CM at QS that you have a very serious almond allergy & want to confirm with a chef that what you are going to order will be ok.

Also the allergy menus are kinda like a starting point anyway. They only list a few allergies & some suggestions. My sister has milk/gluten allergies and is a bit picky so she often confers with a chef at the table and they make sure they put something together that is safe for her that she will enjoy.

I’m assuming the metal allergy is to cheap jewelry and not food prep? If it is food prep related email Disney Guest relations now to see if it is even possible for her to dine safely at each of your expected QS & TS restaurants.
I will double check with her about the cheap metal..I assume it's jewelry too, but I see so much stuff in the news about food recalls having metal and other stuff in them, so not sure if it was something to worry about.

Definitely ask to speak to a chef, in addition to reviewing the allergy menu provided at the restaurant.

I am familiar with a couple blogs that post information about allergy menus and allergy dining experiences at Disney destinations: one is called Alexis' Gluten Free Adventures, and the other is Gluten Free Dairy Free WDW. I think they offer more WDW-related information, but both have had information in the past about DLR, DCL, etc. You might check their websites to read about their experiences!

I will double check with her about the cheap metal..I assume it's jewelry too, but I see so much stuff in the news about food recalls having metal and other stuff in them, so not sure if it was something to worry about.
Ah. Those happen due to metal shard contamination- definitely not allergy related. No company would knowingly serve food with metal shards in it.

Most metal allergies are contact dermatitis-related. They affect the skin, but not the digestive tract.

Not to say that if she put the metal in her mouth it might not make her ill or break out. But I'd think if she were that sensitive, you probably would have already noticed her never using metal utensils by now.

Checked on the utensil situation, she said she can use them. She just cannot ingest those foods. Almonds especially. So we will make sure to speak with the chef when we get there.

@gottalovepluto thanks for the tip about the QS menus. I wouldn’t have known that...we will skip on the mobile ordering and just go to the counter to make sure everything is safe.

I have multiple food allergies and what I started doing a few years ago, was printing out a list of my allergies (small size, fits in my wallet) so when the chef comes to the table, I can hand them the paper and they can clearly see what my allergies are and nothing gets forgotten.

I've had really good experiences eating at the DLR. Most places are quite willing to accommodate, if they can although there have been a few that could not (for example, Cove Bar couldn't make me any food because my shellfish allergies and they had a very small kitchen and didn't have a separate prep area).

Last edited:
I just want to say , tell your friend not to be shy and to ask twice. I have a severe almond allergy, and I was served cake with almond flour at Disney. It was awful, and it happened in front of my kids, had to go to the medic, etc, and it ruined our last day at Disney. Also scared the crap out of all of us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter