Allergy-friendly restaurants in New York City

Wonder2008

Mouseketeer
Hello,

My sister and I are planning a weekend in NYC (Manhattan only) at the end of September, and we are obviously doing as much homework as we can before we go to find restauants we can eat at. I eat gluten-free, but my sister can not have any dairy or rice flour.

Have any of you had any good, recent experiences in NYC restaurants? We've emailed some restaurants and only one has responded so far. We're not expecting Disney-quality service. It seems gluten-free restaurants are fairly easy to find, but none of the restaurants will call themselves "rice flour free" even though they very well may be.

Any suggestions or advice would be very much appreciated.
Robert

Hello,

My sister and I are planning a weekend in NYC (Manhattan only) at the end of September, and we are obviously doing as much homework as we can before we go to find restauants we can eat at. I eat gluten-free, but my sister can not have any dairy or rice flour.

Have any of you had any good, recent experiences in NYC restaurants? We've emailed some restaurants and only one has responded so far. We're not expecting Disney-quality service. It seems gluten-free restaurants are fairly easy to find, but none of the restaurants will call themselves "rice flour free" even though they very well may be.

Any suggestions or advice would be very much appreciated.
Robert

You ever eat at via Napoli in Epcot with success because that company owns a restaurant at grand central. I want to try but never do when I am in the city I always eat at schinnpers it not a sit down it more a quick service. Where you order and they bring the food to you I give you the web site I know they have gluteen free buns and pretty good about allergy stuff but not sure about the other allergies. Maybe you could call or write they have three I only suggest the 23 rd street or 41 the Lexington one new and i had some problems in their. I know another good expensive steak house but only been to the one in westchester if you want I give you their info. It just be expensive and fancy sit down. Not sure what kind your going for sorry if dont know to many more but if I can be more help let me know.

http://www.schnippers.com/

I might know some places that could, but I have a couple questions before I give any suggestions. I will note that I don't personally have any food restrictions, but have several close friends who do so automatically check for their allergens on menus even when not with them (that definitely covers both gluten and dairy). I did live in NYC 2008-2010 and still live close enough that I go in regularly.

Does your sister need to avoid all rice or just rice flour?

What level (if any) can either of you deal with cross-contamination?

Are there any other dietary limits (i.e. vegetarian or vegan)?

Are you looking specifically for fairly inexpensive restaurants or are you willing to look at more expensive ones (i.e. ones with entrees that are $30+)?

I don't want to throw names at you that are way out of budget or contain other things you don't eat.

Not a meal, but if you didn't already know, Babycakes original location is in NYC. I don't know for sure that they'll be safe with the rice flour, but my impression is that they're good with answering questions e-mailed a head of time.

I would not trust that just because they run Via Napoli at EPCOT, other Patina Restaurant Group places would be equal (or better) in handling allergies. They do have a range of restaurants across NYC and the PRG website has ways to contact with questions. So they may be worth contacting, but I haven't been to any of their restaurants so don't have personal experience.

I might know some places that could, but I have a couple questions before I give any suggestions. I will note that I don't personally have any food restrictions, but have several close friends who do so automatically check for their allergens on menus even when not with them (that definitely covers both gluten and dairy). I did live in NYC 2008-2010 and still live close enough that I go in regularly.

Does your sister need to avoid all rice or just rice flour?

What level (if any) can either of you deal with cross-contamination?

Are there any other dietary limits (i.e. vegetarian or vegan)?

Are you looking specifically for fairly inexpensive restaurants or are you willing to look at more expensive ones (i.e. ones with entrees that are $30+)?

I don't want to throw names at you that are way out of budget or contain other things you don't eat.

Not a meal, but if you didn't already know, Babycakes original location is in NYC. I don't know for sure that they'll be safe with the rice flour, but my impression is that they're good with answering questions e-mailed a head of time.

I would not trust that just because they run Via Napoli at EPCOT, other Patina Restaurant Group places would be equal (or better) in handling allergies. They do have a range of restaurants across NYC and the PRG website has ways to contact with questions. So they may be worth contacting, but I haven't been to any of their restaurants so don't have personal experience.

Sorry your right I been to their one in Disney land and it been good I was suggesting it more as restaurant related to Disney. But your right I shouldn't have have suggest it would handle it like via Napoli. It dose get alot if business people due to being under met life And tourist from grand central. I always want to try it but never do for some reason I just keep going back to schinnpers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!