Allergies at CS/Festival Kitchens/Snack Carts

DisneyStarWisher

Love My DVC!!!
This is the first time I have posted on this forum. Last December, I was diagnosed with a flaxseed allergy after months of horrible episodes, ER visits, and lots of medical testing. I had gone to WDW in October that year, and actually had an attack after doing the Boma culinary tour and sampling the bread service. Weird thing is that I had done the tour before with no problem, so it was an allergy that had recently developed. Now that I know what is causing the attacks, I am very careful about what I consume, especially breads where flaxseed is more common. I know that I can note my allergy on my dining reservations for table-service restaurants, but I'm concerned about eating at the counter service restaurants and the food kitchens at Epcot. We are planning on a couple of counter service meals at Roaring Fork (interested in the gourmet grilled cheese on a multi-grain bun) and Geyser Point (ate the crabcake sandwich last year with no problem but I know ingredients can change). We also want to snack around Epcot at the Festival of the Holidays food kitchens, much like we do at the Food & Wine Festival. We will also do some snacks throughout the trip. Is there a way to view ingredients at these places? By the way, it doesn't help to have allergy information, since flaxseed is not considered an allergen. It is a very rare allergy. The only way to stay safe is to read all ingredients. Any information about this would be greatly appreciated!

If you know what you need to stay away from Disney is very good. At QS you can ask to see the ingredients list I think they have a CM ( manager traind in allergy’s)

The counter service restaurants have an ingredient book that you can look though... just let a CM know you will need to see the list of ingredients. Depending on the restaurant, they may have you talk to the manager in order to look at the book.
I have seen people request ingredient books at the Food and Wine stands. I don’t know how complete those are, but the should be pretty good.
I wipould definitely NOT eat anything multigrain. We buy multigrain bread because we like it; flaxseed is a very frequent ingredient in those types of bread/buns.

If you know what you need to stay away from Disney is very good. At QS you can ask to see the ingredients list I think they have a CM ( manager traind in allergy’s)
The counter service restaurants have an ingredient book that you can look though... just let a CM know you will need to see the list of ingredients. Depending on the restaurant, they may have you talk to the manager in order to look at the book.
I have seen people request ingredient books at the Food and Wine stands. I don’t know how complete those are, but the should be pretty good.
I wipould definitely NOT eat anything multigrain. We buy multigrain bread because we like it; flaxseed is a very frequent ingredient in those types of bread/buns.
Thank you both for the information. This is good to know that I can see a list of ingredients at the CS restaurants and even at the festival booths.
SueM in MN, I definitely know to stay away from multigrain bread. I hope Roaring Fork can put my grilled cheese on another type of bread. Even if the ingredients list doesn't show flaxseed, I will probably still request it anyway. What's difficult though is that flaxseed can be in any type of bread, and it's impossible to know since it's ground flaxseed. One of my worst reactions was from a Burger King hamburger bun.

This should go without saying but if you have an epipen ( or any other medication) make sure you bring them with you

You can ask to see ingredients at any quick service or snack location. The booths at the festivals are a little trickier as they need to call the chef so it takes some time but they can also do this for you. We have to do this for most of my children's allergies because they aren't all top 8 allergens.

This is the first time I have posted on this forum. Last December, I was diagnosed with a flaxseed allergy after months of horrible episodes, ER visits, and lots of medical testing. I had gone to WDW in October that year, and actually had an attack after doing the Boma culinary tour and sampling the bread service. Weird thing is that I had done the tour before with no problem, so it was an allergy that had recently developed. Now that I know what is causing the attacks, I am very careful about what I consume, especially breads where flaxseed is more common. I know that I can note my allergy on my dining reservations for table-service restaurants, but I'm concerned about eating at the counter service restaurants and the food kitchens at Epcot. We are planning on a couple of counter service meals at Roaring Fork (interested in the gourmet grilled cheese on a multi-grain bun) and Geyser Point (ate the crabcake sandwich last year with no problem but I know ingredients can change). We also want to snack around Epcot at the Festival of the Holidays food kitchens, much like we do at the Food & Wine Festival. We will also do some snacks throughout the trip. Is there a way to view ingredients at these places? By the way, it doesn't help to have allergy information, since flaxseed is not considered an allergen. It is a very rare allergy. The only way to stay safe is to read all ingredients. Any information about this would be greatly appreciated!

There is not a way to see the ingredient list for Food and Wine, Festival of the Arts or Festival of the Holidays. In addition, the food for F&W and Fest of Arts are all made in the same kitchen, not the normal kitchens located in the country. I don't know about the Holiday Festival. But it seems likely that it is the same. Basically, you have to have a CM call a chef on the phone and they can ask questions for you. That is it.

I have celiac. I will eat some of the items marked gluten free at the Festival. But if I had an allergy that could send me to the ED/ER, I don't know that I would. Mostly because most people working in the kitchen have at least heard of gluten free. And because a small piece of a speck won't actually kill me. Sick, sure. But with an allergy, that isn't the case.

This should go without saying but if you have an epipen ( or any other medication) make sure you bring them with you
Of course. However, my allergy is a little different. It's a digestive allergy. Epipens won't help according to my GI and allergist. I just have to suffer until it finally goes through my system, usually about 7 hours of feeling like I've been stabbed in the stomach and vomiting uncontrollably. That was not fun my first night at WDW last year and would like to avoid it this trip for sure!

As PP noted - the foods for the festivals are prepared in one giant space. Depending on the severity of your allergy, you may want to skip them altogether. Pretty high risk of cross-contamination.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter