All Schools in Denver Metro Area closed today due to credible threat

I too am grateful they are taking it seriously. As a household impacted by this, I did not mind the four robocalls from our school district yesterday updating families on the perimeter lockdown and timed dismissal situation. I do not mind that they closed school today out of 'an abundance of caution', as my middle schooler is fine being home on his own. I could tell you what I do mind, but it would get me banned for sure. I’ll just say this, as the mother of a high schooler who is an exchange student this year. Isn’t it sad that I do not worry for his safety in school while he is 6,900 miles away in Tierra del Fuego, Argentina, but I do worry for my 7th grader who lives here in the US with me under my own roof?

Terrifying but I am glad they took action. If they can close for "threat of snow" in some places, they can close for threat of violence, too..

Local media outlets are reporting that the woman in question has been found dead at the base of Mt. Evans outside of Denver.

There is a significant online community of Columbine fanatics and some of them are very dangerous. Four years ago, a group of them - one local, one from away and a supporter who was also local - plotted to shoot up one of our shopping centres. Fortunately, someone from the message board where they discussed it alerted the police and they were stopped - one conspirator killed himself and the other two were arrested and prosecuted.

It was shocking and bizarre - Halifax NS has no connection to Columbine - but sadly I am less surprised that someone planned violence at a school in the area near a significant anniversary of the original event.

M.

During ‘Columbine Week’ we always expect something to happen, some sort of threat. If not locally here in the Denver area, then somewhere across the nation, as has been the pattern. DH and I were discussing it last Sunday. Back in our day if someone wanted a nice, sunny, spring day off of school they would call in a bomb threat and a single school would shut down. (And they usually got caught the next day.) But this is a different animal entirely. And it seems to happen more in the springtime. April 20 is Hitler’s birthday so that is a trigger for some individuals and hate groups.

Dakota – I agree with you on law enforcement’s role. This was the first time that all local schools were closed based on a recommendation from the Colorado Department of Public Safety. We never freak out when our kid’s schools are placed on perimeter lockdown. Our school district seems very measured in making that decision. Sadly, that sometimes just means that it is another Tuesday during springtime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter