Good to know - thanks for clarifying. I thought the gate price was used for bridging. Oh well, there goes $80 I thought I was saving.

Hi! My family currently has Gold AP vouchers. We purchased them before the recent price increase and intend to activate them in Nov when we arrive for our trip. Since purchasing them we decided to take a Spring Break trip and need to upgrade the passes to Platinum to cover the black out dates (only three days which kills me but I don’t see any other choice). I was told multiple times this upgrade can only be done in person (I tried before the price hike so many times!!) so I intend to upgrade these passes during our Nov trip so everything is set and we can make our April fast passes without an issue.
Question is do I upgrade them the same time I activate them or do I wait until after they have been activated to do the upgrade. I am not sure if they will apply the current DVC Gold AP price or the price I paid (a $100 difference) - wondering if waiting until after I activate would make a difference. I really wish this could have been done beforehand over the phone - could have potentially saved me $100. Any advice appreciated!

Hi! My family currently has Gold AP vouchers. We purchased them before the recent price increase and intend to activate them in Nov when we arrive for our trip. Since purchasing them we decided to take a Spring Break trip and need to upgrade the passes to Platinum to cover the black out dates (only three days which kills me but I don’t see any other choice). I was told multiple times this upgrade can only be done in person (I tried before the price hike so many times!!) so I intend to upgrade these passes during our Nov trip so everything is set and we can make our April fast passes without an issue. Question is
1. do I upgrade them the same time I activate them
2. or do I wait until after they have been activated to do the upgrade.
3. I am not sure if they will apply the current DVC Gold AP price or the price I paid (a $100 difference) -
4. wondering if waiting until after I activate would make a difference.
5. I really wish this could have been done beforehand over the phone - could have potentially saved me $100.
1. You can do that.
2. If you have some reason for doing so, you can do that, if you like.
3. The current higher price is what I would expect them to charge.
4. Nope.
5. You can always "ask nicely" for anything that you would like.

Hi - I am currently booked for a Play Stay Dine package with DDP in March. There isn't itemized pricing for anything and I think I may be getting a discount on the DDP but not sure. I am considering UT for tickets to save a bit of money and it would also allow me to drop from a Royal Room to a Standard room to save more money. Do UT tickets sell out fast? I am hoping to make the switch in January but may have to buy now.

I'm having trouble clearly wording my explanation.

There are many explanations of ticket upgrading and price-bridging that include the phrase "gate price," (over the years, that would include some of mine.)

But, the prices now called "gate price" are different (within the past few years) than they have been for many previous years.
If you are upgrading a pre-purchased ticket it will be a good plan to simply not use the "gate price" as a number in figuring upgrading pre-purchased tickets.

There is no "extra" $20 that is figured into or used in the calculation of the upgrade cost.
The "gate price" is not used in the upgrade transaction.
The "pre-purchase price" is the figure used in the upgrade transaction for both the original ticket value (or the "bridged value") and the upgraded ticket cost.

If a guest was looking at the cost of the upgraded ticket based on the price that is POSTED AT THE GATE for a ticket
(if that listed price included the $20 extra due to it being sold "at the gate,")
THAT $20 would be "nulled out" by the CM doing the upgrade.

The "$20 gate up charge" is not paid by (nor given to) the guest who is upgrading a ticket.
So if I purchase a 6 day hopper (5 day plus 1 day free) from UT for $469 (e-ticket expiring 12/19), what do I pay to upgrade it to a DVC platinum? How do I know what the “pre-purchase price” is? And are we sure we can upgrade the old MYW tickets, even though Disney’s website suggests the contrary?

Last edited:

How do I know what the “pre-purchase price” is?
Check the price that was charged for a 6-day ticket on October 15, 2018. That listing should be in one of the first posts in this thread.

And are we sure we can upgrade the old MYW tickets, even though Disney’s website suggests the contrary?
Yes. Your 6-day MYW ticket retains the value of a 6-day ticket as of 10/15/18 and that value is applied to the new ticket to which you are “upgrading.”

I have a MYW six day base ticket and I will be using it during a high priced week for the new ticket pricing (ie. it now costs way more than I paid for it )

If I choose to add a hopper to the ticket will they price it up to that week and then add the hopper price? Or just an added hopper price?

I have a MYW six day base ticket and I will be using it during a high priced week for the new ticket pricing (ie. it now costs way more than I paid for it )

1. If I choose to add a hopper to the ticket will they price it up to that week and then add the hopper price?
2. Or just an added hopper price?
1. Very likely. (That would be the prescribed procedure.)
2. Maybe. (It never hurts to "ask nicely.")

Well I went to Guest Services at DS this afternoon and after waiting over an hour and a half I gave up and left. There was a CM at the door when I arrived who put your name on a list oh his iPad and the CMs would wander around the packed area inside and out (front & back of bldg) calling out names from the waiting list. There was another CM who seemed to be nothing but walking back and forth with her clip board watching the CMs behind the counters working.
The whole process seemed very inefficient. I told the CM at the door I was leaving after waiting for almost 2 hours so he could take my off the list. I bet they wasted a lot of time calling for people who gave up and left without telling the CM guarding the door.
I will be at EPCOt guest services when it opens tomorrow and hope they can help me use the 5 day base ticket I got from UT to renew my AP. However, I'm not totally sure I want to renew after this trip. It's been crowded, lots of bus issues, hot, seems like more and more really rude people. But the ticket expires either 12/31/18 or 1/14/19 depending on which CM gave me correct information on phone before I came. I'm not planning on returning until 6/19

Hey

We are heading to the world this week- super excited!! We plan on upgrading our 14 day UK ticket to DVC AP’s as our next trip will fall next summer. Any recent experiences of upgrading these tickets? I’m getting confused with the new ticket pricing etc... and how much the upgrade will cost. Last year to upgrade 2 adults and one child to 3 AP’s was Around $180. I’m struggling with the math this time to know what I should expect to pay...

Anyone able to help?

Thanks in advance!

1. the ticket expires either 12/31/18 or 1/14/19 depending on which CM gave me correct information on phone before I came.
2. I'm not planning on returning until 6/19
1. If you ARE intending to use your ticket's value to help pay for an AP, it doesn't matter if you let it expire before you get the AP.
2. So... instead of renewing your current AP, you COULD wait until your next trip in June to THEN buy a NEW AP that would then be good for a full year after you first used it.

1. If you ARE intending to use your ticket's value to help pay for an AP, it doesn't matter if you let it expire before you get the AP.
2. So... instead of renewing your current AP, you COULD wait until your next trip in June to THEN buy a NEW AP that would then be good for a full year after you first used it.

Yes I was thinking exactly that...but I am planning on possible trips in June, Around Labor Day, and possibly an October trip...so if I were to renew while I'm here in Disney now I could get the renewal discount plus use the ticket from UT...but then again, it does seem dumb to renew now when I won't be back til June. My current AP expires on 10/27

A few months ago, I purchased 2 child 10-day PH tickets and 2 adult 10-day PH tickets from UT with the plan to upgrade to AP during our trip next month since we'll be back in August. Our plans changed, and now we will only be going for MVMCP next month, but we will still be visiting for 10 days in August, so I'll save our 10-day tickets to use in August. My son will be turning 10 in March, so he will now need an adult ticket in August.

Would it be possible to upgrade his 10-day child ticket for an adult ticket in November without activating it (we will only need to use our MVMCP tickets), and possibly upgrade all of our PH tickets to PH Plus? Assuming tickets will be increasing again in February, I would like to do it now if I'm able to, but I'm thinking it won't be possible.

I purchased tickets from UT before the Disney ticket price increase. We have pay for 4 days get 2 days free. Anyway, my family has decided that they would like to go to one of the Disney water parks also on this trip. We've never done a water park at Disney and I'm not sure how to get a ticket for the water park. As I said, I have a ticket with 6 days available to use. Can I use one of those days for the water park? Do I upgrade at Disney and add a water park day onto what I have? I just don't know how to get a water park ticket as I don't see that they sell them separately.
Thanks so much for any info you can give me.

A few months ago, I purchased 2 child 10-day PH tickets and 2 adult 10-day PH tickets from UT with the plan to upgrade to AP during our trip next month since we'll be back in August. Our plans changed, and now we will only be going for MVMCP next month, but we will still be visiting for 10 days in August, so I'll save our 10-day tickets to use in August. My son will be turning 10 in March, so he will now need an adult ticket in August.

Would it be possible to upgrade his 10-day child ticket for an adult ticket in November without activating it (we will only need to use our MVMCP tickets), and possibly upgrade all of our PH tickets to PH Plus? Assuming tickets will be increasing again in February, I would like to do it now if I'm able to, but I'm thinking it won't be possible.

You can upgrade tickets without "activating" them.
Only using a ticket to go into a park gate will activate it.

I purchased tickets from UT before the Disney ticket price increase. We have pay for 4 days get 2 days free. Anyway, my family has decided that they would like to go to one of the Disney water parks also on this trip. We've never done a water park at Disney and I'm not sure how to get a ticket for the water park. As I said, I have a ticket with 6 days available to use.
1. Can I use one of those days for the water park?
2. Do I upgrade at Disney and add a water park day onto what I have?
3. I just don't know how to get a water park ticket as I don't see that they sell them separately.
Thanks so much for any info you can give me.
1. Nope.
2. Well, if you DO have PARKHOPPER tickets, all you need to do is add (upgrade to) Parkhopper PLUS in order to visit the Water Parks.

BUT, if your current tickets are NOT PARKHOPPERS, upgrading to Parkhopper PLUS is not necessary.
(And, if you want to ONLY go to a Water Park on ONE day (and you don't want to visit any of the other of the "PLUS" options,) you don't need to add that "plus" upgrade.)

3. They DO sell one-day Water Park tickets separately.
You can buy a one day ticket to the WDW water parks (in advance, or at ANY ticket booth) and that ticket will allow you to visit BOTH water parks on the same day, if both WPs are open that day.

One day WP tickets-
$59 for 3 yrs through 9 yrs. (plus tax)
$65 for 10 yrs and up (plus tax)

Click HERE.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter