1. It has been suggested by a number of CMs that it's a good idea to turn in old MagicBands, so they can be recycled, even Version 1.0.
2. That way, the inactive bands can be completely removed from a guest's MDX account, as guests are not able to do so on their own.
3. With many guests having issues with MBs, including not working for opening resort room doors, not working for park admittance, etc., is the returning of old bands the best way to resolve functionality issues?
4. Apparently, just deactivating the bands from MDX is not enough.
1. They don't (can't) "recycle" MagicBands. Many times it just sounds politically correct to say "recycled" when the real facts are "disposed of" (safely.)
2. That's inaccurate. MBs can be fully "deactivated" by guests, themselves, in their MDX accounts.
3. There are lots of problems with Disney's tech for MBs and FPs and just about anything else.
(Heck, read these boards for a month -a week!)
4. Most CMs just repeat rumors they've heard, so don't put too much stock in that.

All that said, if you just WANT to "turn in" your old MBs... that's OK, too.
Just make sure that they are deactivated in your MDX account.

It has been suggested by a number of CMs that it's a good idea to turn in old MagicBands, so they can be recycled, even Version 1.0. That way, the inactive bands can be completely removed from a guest's MDX account, as guests are not able to do so on their own.

With many guests having issues with MBs, including not working for opening resort room doors, not working for park admittance, etc., is the returning of old bands the best way to resolve functionality issues? Apparently, just deactivating the bands from MDX is not enough.
You can call Disney IT and have them fully removed from your account. I have done it with over 16 MagicBands and cards.

Thanks for your upgrading ticket to AP info. I "did the math" yesterday in an airport delay. I tried to upgrade last night and when the CM told me the "value" of my old ticket, it was actually less than I had paid.

Later I realized if I had carried through the transaction, I would have actually paid MORE than just walking up and buy brand new APs.

I will continue trying until I find a CM that can bridge my tickets, assuming that I should still get the full value of the ticket. (I know that information would be gone from here if it wasnt reliable anymore)
In the land of Disney information, this site is spot on, updated & trustworthy as it is kept current.

So thank you for your time & eforte, it really does savethe rest of us money & time.

Thanks for your upgrading ticket to AP info. I "did the math" yesterday in an airport delay. I tried to upgrade last night and when the CM told me the "value" of my old ticket, it was actually less than I had paid.

Later I realized if I had carried through the transaction, I would have actually paid MORE than just walking up and buy brand new APs.

I will continue trying until I find a CM that can bridge my tickets, assuming that I should still get the full value of the ticket. (I know that information would be gone from here if it wasnt reliable anymore)
In the land of Disney information, this site is spot on, updated & trustworthy as it is kept current.

So thank you for your time & eforte, it really does savethe rest of us money & time.
Yes. Do look for a CM who knows the correct procedures and prices!
Please report back with your results.
And, thanks for the kind words about the info on this site!

So thank you for your time & effort, it really does save the rest of us money & time.

I completely agree with all of your comments. When I tried to upgrade to AP on a renewal, the CM was giving me a credit much less than what I paid for the PH ticket. When I questioned his figures and mentioned bridging, he spent some time on his computer and then gave me a revised cost to upgrade, which was more than $100 less than the original amount.

Yes. Do look for a CM who knows the correct procedures and prices!
Please report back with your results.
And, thanks for the kind words about the info on this site!

Success!!!

Today at the intersection of Hollywood & Sunset Boulevards in HS, there was a 'Ticket Central' kiosk for updating tickets to APs.

The price she quoted me was to the penny of my calculation from your links. I have never seen this kiosk before, but figured it would have an experienced CM that could handle the transaction.

I had 2016 PHs which are now APs at a savings of $50 per pass. Last night's quote would actually have cost me $50 more per pass than just buying new APs outright.

I can't thank you enough for the valuable & accurate information!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!

Success!!!

Today at the intersection of Hollywood & Sunset Boulevards in HS, there was a 'Ticket Central' kiosk for updating tickets to APs.

The price she quoted me was to the penny of my calculation from your links. I have never seen this kiosk before, but figured it would have an experienced CM that could handle the transaction.

I had 2016 PHs which are now APs at a savings of $50 per pass. Last night's quote would actually have cost me $50 more per pass than just buying new APs outright.

I can't thank you enough for the valuable & accurate information!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!

I'm just as happy as you are about this!
Thanks for reporting that the tangle of info I try to maintain at the head of this Sticky Post is accurate (at least for today.) ;)

So I just got back from a business trip to YC. I had 7 day PH from UT and a 1 day ticket after 5pm that I had bought for the conference. Thanks Robo. I did the math and upgraded to an AP (mostly for my family trip in August).
They gave me the price for my 2017 7dPH AND rolled my conference ticket in. So I ended up paying $325 to upgrade to the AP and now don’t need to pay for MM for August and got 15% back pp on the KTTK tours the 8 of us that I had already booked in Aug! So spent $325 and got $300 in savings before I ever left the GR window! Thanks for all the info!

Thank you for all the great information Robo, you never cease to amaze me over the years with your knowledge. In all the years I've been going to Disney, I find myself in a situation that I'm unsure of. Every year we do the dining plan in September...hubby loves it...without fail. We are Florida residents, so it's nice to use the required ticket purchase to upgrade our tickets to an Florida Resident Silver Pass. This year, the 4 day park hopper ($455.00) exceeds the amount of the renewal which is just under $400.00. With six of us going, it's hard to swallow losing more than 300.00, but I understand the rules about no refunds, and 1 to 1 upgrades. My question is that in post #4, you state that if the original ticket is higher than the cost of the upgrade, then the upgrade won't be allowed. Can you expand on this? I purchased 4 day park hoppers for an 11 day vacation. Surely I won't need to pay for everyone to have a Gold pass, which is an additional $77.00 per person? We would NEVER come to Disney in the height of Summer, nor at Christmas/Spring break times. I don't want to get there and then find out I only have 4 park days.

Appreciate any advise you can give me on this. I did call and a cast member said it would be done with no refund, but we all know that they are not all well versed on policy and procedure.

Thank you for all the great information Robo, you never cease to amaze me over the years with your knowledge. In all the years I've been going to Disney, I find myself in a situation that I'm unsure of. Every year we do the dining plan in September...hubby loves it...without fail. We are Florida residents, so it's nice to use the required ticket purchase to upgrade our tickets to an Florida Resident Silver Pass.

1. This year, the 4 day park hopper ($455.00) exceeds the amount of the renewal which is just under $400.00. With six of us going, it's hard to swallow losing more than 300.00, but
2. I understand the rules about no refunds, and 1 to 1 upgrades. My question is that in post #4, you state that if the original ticket is higher than the cost of the upgrade, then the upgrade won't be allowed.
3. Can you expand on this?
4. I purchased 4 day park hoppers for an 11 day vacation. Surely I won't need to pay for everyone to have a Gold pass, which is an additional $77.00 per person? We would NEVER come to Disney in the height of Summer, nor at Christmas/Spring break times. I don't want to get there and then find out I only have 4 park days.

Appreciate any advise you can give me on this.
5. I did call and a cast member said it would be done with no refund, but we all know that they are not all well versed on policy and procedure.

First it helps to know that "the rules" are not cast in stone and that some CMs
can offer a bit of "Pixie Dust" to help guests with their requests.

1. Is not the minimum ticket requirement 2-day PHs?
Why did you purchase 4-day PH's if your intent was to upgrade. (I'll guess it was to make 4 days of advance FP+ ?)
2. Yes.
3. Otherwise (if the original ticket costs MORE than the ticket you WANT, then (by Disney's definition) that is not an "UPgrade."
4. Again, why did you buy a ticket with a greater value than the ticket (AP) to which you want to upgrade?
5. It very well might be done (it certainly IS done that way, many times, according to lots of reports.)
And, it is even POSSIBLE that you would be given a refund in the form of a Disney Gift Certificate.
(It never hurts to "ask nicely" for what you would like.)

But, please answer my number 1 and number 4 questions above.
Maybe I'm not fully understanding what you are wanting to do.

I have a question about a DVC renewal AP. We just renewed our AP's in June for a trip to WDW in August. This Thursday my husband had a serious medical episode which hospitalized him and he will have to have surgery (but is home now:)) The doctor informed us that we would have to cancel our trip in August. We really aren't sure about when we can visit WDW again. Will Disney allow me to change the tickets from the renewal DVC passes to regular DVC APs if we pay the difference? This way we would be able to use them in the future instead of losing an unknown amount of usage on them. I understand that AP's are not refundable.

Hi Robo :)

Please see my answers below in Red

First it helps to know that "the rules" are not cast in stone and that some CMs
can offer a bit of "Pixie Dust" to help guests with their requests.

1. Is not the minimum ticket requirement 2-day PHs? No, this year you paid full price for the room and were required to buy a 4 day park hopper for the "Free" Dining promotion. With 10 in our entire party, not a horrible deal. :)
Why did you purchase 4-day PH's if your intent was to upgrade. (I'll guess it was to make 4 days of advance FP+ ?) Not so worried about fast passes, we are old pros by now, but again, it was required.
2. Yes. Boo.
3. Otherwise (if the original ticket costs MORE than the ticket you WANT, then (by Disney's definition) that is not an "UPgrade." Point noted, but allowed?
4. Again, why did you buy a ticket with a greater value than the ticket (AP) to which you want to upgrade? They forced me. I'm delicate and had no choice.
5. It very well might be done (it certainly IS done that way, many times, according to lots of reports.) Well that's good news, but I an a little nervous to get down there and possible not be able to "upgrade" my ticket :( Bother. :(
And, it is even POSSIBLE that you would be given a refund in the form of a Disney Gift Certificate.
(It never hurts to "ask nicely" for what you would like.) Noted. Would it be prudent to ask for a refund/repurchase possibly?

But, please answer my number 1 and number 4 questions above.
Maybe I'm not fully understanding what you are wanting to do.

Thanks again for the assistance!

I have a question about a DVC renewal AP. We just renewed our AP's in June for a trip to WDW in August. This Thursday my husband had a serious medical episode which hospitalized him and he will have to have surgery (but is home now:)) The doctor informed us that we would have to cancel our trip in August. We really aren't sure about when we can visit WDW again. Will Disney allow me to change the tickets from the renewal DVC passes to regular DVC APs if we pay the difference? This way we would be able to use them in the future instead of losing an unknown amount of usage on them. I understand that AP's are not refundable.

So sorry for your husband's medical situation!
Call and explain your situation to WDW Ticketing at
(407) 566-4985 (option 5)
Hours: 8:30am-4:30pm ET Mon-Sat.

I hope they can help you.

Hi Robo :)

1. No, this year you paid full price for the room and were required to buy a 4 day park hopper for the "Free" Dining promotion...

3. Point noted, but allowed?

5. Well that's good news, but I an a little nervous to get down there and possible not be able to "upgrade" my ticket :( Bother. :(

1. That's unfortunate. I'd not seen that the minimum ticket for "free" dining is now a 4-day Hopper.
Very disappointing to see the continuing upward spiral of WDW costs.

3. "Officially," no.
BUT, "the rules" are not cast in stone and some CMs
might offer a bit of "Pixie Dust" to help guests with their requests.

5. Not being able to speak for what WILL happen, I can only "hope" that you can
do what you want to do.
If the first Guest Relations CM you encounter at WDW will not do the deal, nicely decline and
try at a different Guest Relations.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Last edited:
So sorry for your husband's medical situation!
Call and explain your situation to WDW Ticketing at
(407) 566-4985 (option 5)
Hours: 8:30am-4:30pm ET Mon-Sat.

I hope they can help you.

Thank you very much,Robo, for your kind wishes for my husband. He is the biggest Disney fan and was constantly talking to the doctors and nurses about the joys of WDW.
I appreciate the number for the ticket issue!

This thread has been amazing helping me out with price bridging! Don't know if this has already been covered, but with the AP park entrances could the rest of your party also use those turnstiles if only I have the AP?

This thread has been amazing helping me out with price bridging! Don't know if this has already been covered, but with the AP park entrances could the rest of your party also use those turnstiles if only I have the AP?

The unhelpful answer is...
Often, yes.
Sometimes, no.
(And, no way to tell which it is, until you ask.)

Also, it may or may not be any faster to enter via the AP entrance...
depending on various other factors at the exact time that you arrive.

i am coming down to WDW the first week of Aug and had a question regarding the FR $69 tickets that they are offering. My sister and her husband live in FL and were going to purchase the tickets for us to use while down there. Can they purchase the tickets for us and we use it? or are they going to check the ticket and know it was a fl ticket and check for ID? the will be with us when we are at the park. i just wanted to be sure before we purchase the tickets and have it be a waste.
Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter