It likely should rightfully be #2.
But, it never hurts to "ask nicely" for the $15 price.

I kind of figured that it should probably be #2. And I am not trying to game the system, I have never had to do any ticket manipulations at all, and so I wanted to make sure I had the correct answer. I figure I might ask at one of the Guest Services and if they quote me the $15 then it's my lucky day and if they don't then I will have to decided if it is worth it. We are already cramming a lot in the trip. Five full days at WDW, plus 1/2 days on arrival and departure days, and 2 full days at Universal. So I am not positive we will have time to cram it in anyway. I just wanted to know so I was prepared.

Thanks Robo!

How can I tell if a ticket is pre-Feb price increase? I just got the special 7 day hopper pass from UCT and there's a date on the back that says 1/28/2017. Does that mean it's a non-expiration ticket?

How can I tell if a ticket is pre-Feb price increase? I just got the special 7 day hopper pass from UCT and there's a date on the back that says 1/28/2017. Does that mean it's a non-expiration ticket?
Yes, it was issued before 2/12/17. If you link it to MDE and look in the mobile app, it will shows its expiration at 12/31/30.

Hoppers are always simply a choice.
Many guests go for a WDW trip and never hop.
Others hop nearly every day.
Put together your plans and see if you think you want to hop or not.
I will say that the length of a trip is not a very effective way to determine whether
Hopping will or won't be "needed."
It is a choice in terms of "style" of touring.

Still unsure...
The simplest solution is to simply not buy the Hopper unless and until you decide
(while at WDW) that you want to hop. It costs the same to buy before your trip, or while
you are at WDW.

I also should add that if you intend to visit the Water Parks and/or any of the other "Water Park and More" options,
buying the Hopper option is principal of what's needed in order to add the "Hopper Plus"
upgrade for just $15 additional cost per ticket to the basic Hopper.

Many thanks for that Robo. Good to know!

Hi all,
I need help from you really smart people who love to run the numbers. We have an upcoming trip in the beginning of September for four days. I had bought tickets (right at price increase so got them before they increased!) through my tickets at work program - the tickets are 5 day hoppers (of which we would only use four days) and were $1186.50 (including tax - 2 adults one kid) and they are the old valid indefinitely kind.
It now appears we are going to go in March for 6 days (with in-laws). So it seems like I should get us annual passes. If we have annual passes we will likely go for at least 1 week over next summer. And if our previous history is to be believed once we have annual passes we'll hop down for a couple of 3 day weekends and possible a second week during the summer.
our annual pass price for gold (we are DVC members) is $1786.02 (including tax).
Should we use the first day of my tickets at work tickets and bridge to annual passes or just buy the passes and save those tickets at work for the future? Will they make us pay up to the current gate price before the bridge difference while buying the annual passes? When I bought the ticket at work passes it asked for a travel date - I put one in but as they are now linked to me MDE does it matter? ie will they not be good in 2019?
If we just use our annual passes outright should I use two of the 5 day hoppers for my in-laws on our march trip leaving just a kid 5 day hopper hanging around?
Thanks!

Hi all,
I need help from you really smart people who love to run the numbers. We have an upcoming trip in the beginning of September for four days. I had bought tickets (right at price increase so got them before they increased!) through my tickets at work program - the tickets are 5 day hoppers (of which we would only use four days) and were $1186.50 (including tax - 2 adults one kid) and they are the old valid indefinitely kind.
It now appears we are going to go in March for 6 days (with in-laws). So it seems like I should get us annual passes. If we have annual passes we will likely go for at least 1 week over next summer. And if our previous history is to be believed once we have annual passes we'll hop down for a couple of 3 day weekends and possible a second week during the summer.
our annual pass price for gold (we are DVC members) is $1786.02 (including tax).
Should we use the first day of my tickets at work tickets and bridge to annual passes or just buy the passes and save those tickets at work for the future? Will they make us pay up to the current gate price before the bridge difference while buying the annual passes? When I bought the ticket at work passes it asked for a travel date - I put one in but as they are now linked to me MDE does it matter? ie will they not be good in 2019?
If we just use our annual passes outright should I use two of the 5 day hoppers for my in-laws on our march trip leaving just a kid 5 day hopper hanging around?
Thanks!
You do NOT need to use tickets before upgrading.
You CAN, but it makes no difference in the price.

So, it's up you you to decide if you want to trade in the TAW tickets, or save them for a trip in the future.

Thank you Robo.
Do you know if the TAW tickets have to be bridged to the current gate price prior to upgrading to AP?
Does this have to be done in person or can it be done over the phone?

Thank you Robo.
Do you know if the TAW tickets have to be bridged to the current gate price prior to upgrading to AP?
Does this have to be done in person or can it be done over the phone?
Price bridging is not a separate operation.
It is done as part of the ticket upgrade procedure.
Upgrades are done in-person.

Ok. So I would have to upgrade in person.
I am going to have to bridge from the TAW price to the annual pass price or from the current 5 day hopper price to the annual pass price?

Ok. So I would have to upgrade in person.
I am going to have to bridge from the TAW price to the annual pass price or from the current 5 day hopper price to the annual pass price?
I don't know if TAW can be price-bridged.
The price can also depend on when TAW bought their supply of tickets from WDW.

Thanks for the sticky Robo! I remember (on a previous account I've since completely lost access to) the original Cheshire Figment thread, glad it's still here in some form!

I read your posts on upgrading and did some independent research and I think I am all set, but I'd love a check of my math/logic.

So I am going to WDW in September of this year, I'm considering a trip in March or June (or both knowing me) next year. I have a 6 day park hopper for this September, purchased recently (definitely post price hike) from UCT, linked and ready to go in MDE. I am now considering an Annual Pass because of my potential future trips.

So I paid $456.95 with tax for that ticket. (This doesn't really factor in to the math I think, it's just trivia.)
Current gate value for that ticket is $465.00, without tax.
The Disney Platinum Pass is $779.00.

So my understanding is the upgrade price is current price of desired ticket minus gate value of ticket (at time of purchase, which mine is up to date), so:
$779.00 - $465.00 = $314.00 plus applicable 6.5% tax, bringing me to $334.41.

So far so good? $334 isn't bad if I do two trips and it's just about OK if I do one trip, except...

I'm a photo fiend and get Memory Maker every time, which is $169.00, that I won't have to pay if I have the AP, correct? All photos included?

Making the upgrade price effectively:
$314.00 - $169.00 = $145.00, plus tax, bringing me to $154.43.

This makes it absolutely worth it to do as long as I do at least one trip in the following year, which I will almost certainly do (definitely if I get the pass!) and since I'd almost certainly get MM+ on any other trips, I'd actually be canceling out that upgrade fee?

I think the math is right, but I'm really excited and can't be trusted to make sound financial decisions in the face of unlimited Epcot, so someone please check my thinking and let me know?

Thanks,
Matt

1. I have a 6 day park hopper for this September, purchased recently (definitely post price hike) from UCT, linked and ready to go in MDE. I am now considering an Annual Pass because of my potential future trips.

2. So I paid $456.95 with tax for that ticket. (This doesn't really factor in to the math I think, it's just trivia.)
Current gate value for that ticket is $465.00, without tax.
The Disney Platinum Pass is $779.00.

3. So my understanding is the upgrade price is current price of desired ticket minus gate value of ticket (at time of purchase, which mine is up to date), so:
$779.00 - $465.00 = $314.00 plus applicable 6.5% tax, bringing me to $334.41.

4. So far so good? $334 isn't bad if I do two trips and it's just about OK if I do one trip, except...

5. I'm a photo fiend and get Memory Maker every time, which is $169.00, that I won't have to pay if I have the AP, correct?
6. All photos included?

Making the upgrade price effectively:
$314.00 - $169.00 = $145.00, plus tax, bringing me to $154.43.

7. This makes it absolutely worth it to do as long as I do at least one trip in the following year, which I will almost certainly do (definitely if I get the pass!) and since I'd almost certainly get MM+ on any other trips, I'd actually be canceling out that upgrade fee?

1. Purchasing from UT after the the price hike date is not a guarantee of getting a ticket from them that was
MINTED (bought from Disney) after the Feb. 12 increase.
UT had a stock of old (pre-hike) tickets from which they were selling, even very recently.

2. Looks like that may likely be a "new" ticket.
3. Yup.
4. Yup.
5. Correct.
6. All photos and ride videos.
7. Having an AP nearly SCREAMS, "USE ME!!"
We live thousands of miles from WDW and when we had APs we made THREE trips per year!

Last edited:
1. Purchasing from UT after the the price hike date is not a guarantee of getting a ticket from them that was
MINTED (bought from Disney) after the Feb. 12 increase.
UT had a stock of old (pre-hike) tickets from which they were selling, even very recently.

2. Looks like that may likely be a "new" ticket.
3. Yup.
4. Yup.
5. Correct.
6. All photos and ride videos.
7. Having an AP nearly SCREAMS, "USE ME!!"
We live thousands of miles from WDW and when we had APs we made THREE trips per year!

1. I am now home and have the ticket in hand, it is dated 5/23/2017.
2. See above? Definitely post price hike.
3-7. Thanks for the confirmations, especially of that last point!

I'm pretty sold, and by September I'll know for sure about at least one of the trips next year if not both, so as long as one of those is happening, I'm doing it.

Matt

1. I am now home and have the ticket in hand, it is dated 5/23/2017.
2. See above? Definitely post price hike.
3-7. Thanks for the confirmations, especially of that last point!

I'm pretty sold, and by September I'll know for sure about at least one of the trips next year if not both, so as long as one of those is happening, I'm doing it.

Matt
Still, the only way to know for certain what the value of the ticket will be is to put it in MDE. When you do it will show you the expiration date. Once you see that, you will know without a doubt which one you have. Until then, I wouldn't even assume based on the date on it. I mean, odds are good but you can know for certain by loading it on MDE

Still, the only way to know for certain what the value of the ticket will be is to put it in MDE. When you do it will show you the expiration date. Once you see that, you will know without a doubt which one you have. Until then, I wouldn't even assume based on the date on it. I mean, odds are good but you can know for certain by loading it on MDE

Thanks for the heads up, the ticket is in MDE and shows expiration as 1/14/19, so I think that I'm good to go right?

Matt

Thanks for the heads up, the ticket is in MDE and shows expiration as 1/14/19, so I think that I'm good to go right?

Matt
Curious. That's a new one. I was thinking they were all good till 12/2018 and then the next batch till 12/2019. Anyway, my mistake. So yeah, I'd say your ticket is from the newer batch, issued after Feb 2016

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter