All about the Autotrain

An important point for a couple of recent posts:

The Auto Train is the only East Coast train that is a Superliner, rather than a Viewliner - it's two levels (as opposed to the horror show described on the long-haul train above). The ride is generally much smoother up top. Some people prefer lower-level coach - either because they can't/don't want to do the stairs to level two, or, since there are very few lower-level seats (the bathrooms are all downstairs, but separated off from the coach seats), so it can be quieter, and if you have a large party, you may have most of it to yourself.

The Auto Train also only makes one scheduled stop (for fuel and to change crews). That's not to say that it doesn't have to stop for other reasons (freight trains on tracks, etc.), but it's not pulling in and out of stations all night like other long-haul trains.

This is one of the main benefits of the Auto Train from a passenger-experience standpoint. Also, since it does only officially stop once, this decreases the travel time as it is essentially an express non-stop train service (unlike the Silver Meteor and Silver Star trains which have multiple stops along the way)..

IMO, Amtrak is severely underrated, its a great option for those seeking an alternative to air travel, it can also be an experience in itself especially with the scenery and the on-board amenities such as dining car.

Any travelers with reservations on the Autotrain or Amtrak in general need to keep an eye on Hurricane Florence around the Thursday to Saturday time frame September 13th to the 15th.

Agree!
We were in Disney this time last year when Irma came. Our trip home was cancelled again, and again and again. We were there with our daughter and family in their van. They made arrangements to fly home and since the return trip kept getting cancelled we finally drove the van home a few days later.

Agree!
We were in Disney this time last year when Irma came. Our trip home was cancelled again, and again and again. We were there with our daughter and family in their van. They made arrangements to fly home and since the return trip kept getting cancelled we finally drove the van home a few days later.
Same with Hurricane Hermoine. That led us to fly going forward. We use our Amtrak points for northbound trips only.

It was only a matter of time. Better safe than sorry.

Due to predicted severe weather from Hurricane Florence, Amtrak is modifying service beginning Wednesday, Sept. 12, through Sunday, Sept. 16. For the safety of our customers and employees, the following trains will be adjusted:

Trains cancelled Wednesday, Sept. 12 – Sunday, Sept. 16:

· Auto Train (Lorton, Va. – Sanford, Fla.) trains 52 – 53

See that the trains are still not running!
According to Antrak's website, the Autotrain is cancelled at least through Sunday, September 23rd, and they're still running modifications on other trains in the area through Tuesday the 25th.

We are thinking about taking the auto train back home! We are driving from NJ. It will be me, hubby, 8yr old daughter and 6yr old son. I use to ride the Auto Train all the time as a kid and teen/young adult. Last time I rode it was probably 2002, so it’s been quite a long time. I know a lot has changed! So I have a few questions!
Do they still try to keep those with children a bit separated from those without children?
Do they still have a lounge car?
Show a movie?
Offer dinner & continental breakfast (included in the ticket price)
I noticed there is now an upper and lower level, is there a preference?
Thanks for any information or advice!!

We are thinking about taking the auto train back home! We are driving from NJ. It will be me, hubby, 8yr old daughter and 6yr old son. I use to ride the Auto Train all the time as a kid and teen/young adult. Last time I rode it was probably 2002, so it’s been quite a long time. I know a lot has changed! So I have a few questions!
Do they still try to keep those with children a bit separated from those without children?
Do they still have a lounge car?
Show a movie?
Offer dinner & continental breakfast (included in the ticket price)
I noticed there is now an upper and lower level, is there a preference?
Thanks for any information or advice!!

I can answer a few of these!
*No more movies, they were gone before our first trip in August 2017.
*you still get dinner and continental breakfast included
*on our 4 legs they always had a lounge car for sleepers, I *think* that once there was only one lounge car total but I could be wrong about that. If I’m correct, I assume sleepers and coach shared the one car.
* we always had a bedroom suite, so I can’t help with the other questions - sorry! We were always upstairs and I thought it was great, but there’s more to think about with Coach. We didn’t have a choice, regardless.

We loved our two trips! Although, I have to say, if we hadn’t had the bedroom suite I’m confident I would not be saying that! But our kids were 8, 5, 18 mos and 18 mos on our last trip, so no way could I corral those toddlers in coach for that long . I don’t think our car-mates would have been very happy with is either!

We took our first trip on the Auto Train at the end of Feb. Rode north in upper level coach seats. Enjoyed the experience and found all the staff to be very helpful. We had the 7:00 dinner seating and all selections were still available. Both our meals were good. Arrived at Lorton a bit early but almost won the "prize" for being the last car unloaded. All in all, we'll be riding it again on our next trip south.

Hi there. I'm planning to take the auto train with my husband, a 2yo and an 8yo. I can't decide if we should be in 2 rows one behind the other, or across from each other.
I kind of like the idea of the boys at windows blocked in by my husband and I, and I feel like chatting would be easier across the aisle.
Thoughts?

Hi there. I'm planning to take the auto train with my husband, a 2yo and an 8yo. I can't decide if we should be in 2 rows one behind the other, or across from each other.
I kind of like the idea of the boys at windows blocked in by my husband and I, and I feel like chatting would be easier across the aisle.
Thoughts?
Hi! I’m not sure if this will be helpful or not, because it doesn’t answer your direct question, but personally with a 2 yr old I wouldn’t do it without a sleeper. I have 2 yr old twins, so 2 is harder than 1, but there is no way I could keep them in their seats and have them not bother the other people in the car. We’ve taken them in a bedroom suite (whatever the 2 bedrooms combined is called, we also have 2 older kids) and loved it, but doing it coach would have been a nightmarish 18 hrs for me. If that’s not an option I know when we fly we always choose across the aisle from each other so we can talk and see each other, the seat backs are high. I’ve never done it in the train to compare, though. Good luck, and we loved the auto train (in a sleeper) the 2 times we did it!

I have to agree with the sleeper. If they don’t count the baby, You can fit in a one bedroom sleeper. I know the website states 2 people. You just have to call and make the reservation for three. I did the one bedroom, and my children were much older than yours. I did do coach seats once and I will never do it again. This time, my children were in their teens. Our car was very quiet, they try to put those traveling with young children in the same car But the doors between the cars are opening and closing all night long. You will not get any good sleep.

The sleeper car has its own sink, a bathroom, you can lie the kids down on the couch. The kids can walk around. It’s not a lot of space but it’s just you in that space. They can talk, sing, make any noise and you won’t worry about their noise disturbing the other passengers. I loved our time taking the train, so did my children, but everyone agreed, never again in coach.

Last edited:
Thoughts?

Hi! I would definitely do seats across from one another. I haven’t been on the auto train in quite sometime, but when I was they always separated those with children from those without children. You are allowed to get up and walk while the train is moving. They used to have a lounge car that you could go to as well. Just be sure to bring lots of activities for the boys to keep them busy. You know your kids, do what you think is best! A sleeper would be amazing, but would be a lot more money as well! Good Luck! Have fun!

We are planning on taking the train, round trip in July. I have two grandmas and my son accompanying us. I requested lower level because they are both a little unsteady on their feet. I also had a bit of bad experience in the dining car on a previous trip and think it may be too much for them to go upstairs so I put in a request to have meals brought to us in our coach seats.
My son and I were a bit spoiled on our first trip as it was not at capacity and we could have two seats each but I was warned this is a high volume time and that probably will not be the case in July.
Any tips for traveling via auto train with people of advanced experience (70+ and 90+) as well as being larger folks?

Thanks for your help!

I have to agree with the sleeper. You can fit in a one bedroom sleeper. I know the website states 3 people. You just have to call and make the reservation. I did the one bedroom, and my children were much older than yours. I did do coach seats once and I will never do it again. This time, my children were in their teens. Our car was very quiet, they try to put those traveling with young children in the same car But the doors between the cars are opening and closing all night long. You will not get any good sleep.

The sleeper car has its own sink, a bathroom, you can lie the kids down on the couch. The kids can walk around. It’s not a lot of space but it’s just you in that space. They can talk, sing, make any noise and you won’t worry about their noise disturbing the other passengers. I loved our time taking the train, so did my children, but everyone agreed, never again in coach.

Other people can certainly hear extreme noise. We heard kids yelling, screaming, and possibly bouncing a ball on the wall when we were in a roomette near their bedroom. We are fairly tolerant people but were disturbed by the noise. The next day as we were waiting for our car, we saw the family in the waiting room. The kids were running around and screaming and the parents were just sitting and totally ignoring them there, too. Kids will be kids and make some noise, but be aware that the bedrooms are not soundproof.

We are planning on taking the train, round trip in July. I have two grandmas and my son accompanying us. I requested lower level because they are both a little unsteady on their feet. I also had a bit of bad experience in the dining car on a previous trip and think it may be too much for them to go upstairs so I put in a request to have meals brought to us in our coach seats.
My son and I were a bit spoiled on our first trip as it was not at capacity and we could have two seats each but I was warned this is a high volume time and that probably will not be the case in July.
Any tips for traveling via auto train with people of advanced experience (70+ and 90+) as well as being larger folks?

Thanks for your help!
We booked the lower level and when we checked in were told that it was full. They switched us to the upper level and we were able to spread out, each of us getting two seats to sleep. This was in late June.
If I was traveling with the elderly, I would stay on the lower level where the bathrooms are located. I would worry about the stairs if they had to use them on a moving train.

Hoping on the train shortly. Left home, which is an hour south of Boston, at 1:30am. Hit a little traffic in NY, NJ and Baltimore but all in all it wasn’t bad. Last time we left at 4:30am and literally just made it to get the car on. Check in doesn’t start until 11:30 and sign says last check in is 2:30pm. I know some have posted about not being able to get on after 2pm but last time we arrive at 2:26ish and we got on. I booked this trip about 3 weeks ago when we found out DH’s lung condition got much worse and he couldn’t fly. Paid $738ish for bedroom and car for 2 people. When I checked last night priority offloading was still available so either people didn’t bother with it or it’s not full. Let me know if you have any questions I can get answers to while I’m on the train today. Just DH and I this time so looking forward to the trip. Last time we had two teenagers that were like 5 year olds, “when are we gonna get there” non-stop. They fly down tomorrow so it’s nice to have some quiet time before they arrive lol.

Enjoy! We've got a bedroom booked Sanford-Lorton next month (flying down). Didn't book priority off load as it was fully booked....looking forward to the experience.

we are thinking of taking the auto train with my son who has some complex medical needs, and I have a few questions.

1) How early could we board?

2) How late might it be by the time the car is unloaded, both with and without the priority status?

3) Are there grounded outlets in the accessible cabin we could use for medical equipment? Does anyone know how many?

4) Could we get room service? If not, does anyone know how easy it is to navigate the cars with a wheelchair?

5) Does the train usually run on time?

we are thinking of taking the auto train with my son who has some complex medical needs, and I have a few questions. 1) How early could we board? 2) How late might it be by the time the car is unloaded, both with and without the priority status? 3) Are there grounded outlets in the accessible cabin we could use for medical equipment? Does anyone know how many? 4) Could we get room service? If not, does anyone know how easy it is to navigate the cars with a wheelchair? 5) Does the train usually run on time?

We're taking the auto train in October with our adult son who uses a power wheel chair (no special medical needs).

In VA boarding begins at 11:30 am and "last call" is 2 to 2:30 pm.

Arrival in Sanford, FL is 9 am the next day. I've heard unloading can take as long as two hours.

There can be delays. A few years ago my daughter in law's family encountered a six hour delay somewhere in North or South Carolina. The regular trains have priority over the auto train.

There are a few auto train videos on YouTube that will give you more information.

We did not get a sleeper car. My son's wheelchair seat raises and reclines, he'll be able to spend the night sleeping in the wheel chair. He'll probably be more comfortable than my wife and I in the regular seats.

There is one "open" area on the bottom level of each sleeper car that they use for folks in wheelchairs. You can't reserve these spots, it's first come first served.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter