Aligators in Disney Lakes?

I always waterski and wakeboard a few times with at the Sammy Duvall Watersports Centre at the Contemporary.

Last year while getting ready to start up in the water (far side of Bay lake in the "waterski zone" I had a *very* large water mocassin snake pass between me and my waterski (which was attached to my foot).

Later I talked to the driver about it - he said that he sees them all the time. I did not get bitten - but apparently the bite is very painful and causes some swelling.

Anyway - I was always told that swimming was discouraged because of bacteria levels, not gators. The gators are a given, and will avoid people (over age 2-3) at all costs. I've skied very close to them, and they are no bother (in fact they swim away).

Yikes! That cured me of EVER wanting to swim, ski or otherwise touch the water in that lake!

Anne

Fresh water in all tropical (Florida) waters should be avoided. There is an ameoba that lives on the bottom of all fresh water lakes in Florida. It can sneak up your nose and cause an ameobic encephalitis. For me, that is the best reason to stick to the pools.

Years ago when they were doing all the construction past Fort Wilderness area, we were on a bus that had to stop for a really large gator on the road. After much horn honking the gator finally moved. The bus driver called in about the gator to try to get someone out to relocate it. That was the largest one I ever saw on the property. Gators don't bother me, but the snakes do. I've been sitting on patio @ OKW and had them slither across the patio and that is enough for me, back inside I go. I don't take take to analyze what type of snake it is.

Today, on the island between the bridges at the CBR, I saw two swarms of lady bugs on the ropes/pillars on the right side of the walkway. Individually, lady bugs can be charming. This was a different story. A menacing swarm.

Any word on this? Are they as dangerous as the gators and snakes? The gekko's are one thing, but lady bugs are quite another. If I inhale one, can I get the "up the nose ameobolic disorder" that one can get by waterskiing with mocassin snakes?

On the same subject, what about those disgusting "live oysters with pearls" I've got to stare at at the food court doorway? Bet they were a contributing factor to the Syrup Rationing Program.

BJ

LOL Boltjames ...

Moccasin snakes up the nose :D

Snakes and gators?

Wow, it does seem out of place, but that sure explains the no swimming.

It is a large area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter