Alaskan Cruise

Following

We were supposed to cruise Princess Alaska tour (3 days land) 6/2020. We know what happened on 3/2020.

We never rebooked. We went to Italy instead for three weeks as soon as we had the opportunity to plan a big trip.

Alaska cruise is on my mind again - missing cruising - it has been a few years. Might consider Alaska again HAL, Disney or Princess? Those thoughts agin.
It depends on what you're looking for in an Alaskan cruise. Do you want an Alaskan experience or a Disney cruise with Alaska on the side?

HAL & Princess have been doing Alaska the longest and have the better (IMO) itineraries.

I am looking to put a deposit on an Alaskan cruise next week for summer 2025. This is my wife and I‘s first Disney cruise ever and first Alaskan cruise. I noticed that the seven night oceanview price is about the same as the nine night interior price. What do you guys think is more worth it? The ocean view or the extra 2 nights? We are troopers and would take the boiler room if need be, but we do consider this a once in a lifetime experience. I’m posting the itineraries below. Thank you in advance for your advice! BTW I’m assuming oceanview doesn’t mean balcony?

7 night- August 11 - 18, 2025 inside: 3,932 Oceanview: 5,080
  • Glacier Viewing (Stikine Icecap), Alaska
  • Icy Strait Point, Alaska
  • Juneau, Alaska
  • Ketchikan, Alaska
9 night - July 7 - 16, 2025 inside: 5,800, Oceanview 7,546
  • Ketchikan, Alaska
  • Glacier Viewing (Stikine Icecap), Alaska
  • Juneau, Alaska
  • Icy Strait Point, Alaska
  • Sitka, Alaska
  • Victoria (British Columbia), Canada
We went on an Alaskan cruise last year and it was great, but since we have been on DCL before we decided not to use them for Alaska. We were on Celebrity. On our ship, the section that houses the work out area on DCL is a lounge on Celebrity which meant we had great viewing head on. We also had an aft balcony room that gave us a 270 degree view, amazing!

Since this is your first cruise, I hope you have looked at other ships which are much cheaper. I would also recommend a one way trip so you can see more. I have nothing against DCL; we have a trip planned for November, but I think it is well worth checking out other lines too, unless you are dying to go Disney.

Love DCL - but for the same reason we booked the Princess first time around - will most likely do the same or HAL if we book again.

Following

We were supposed to cruise Princess Alaska tour (3 days land) 6/2020. We know what happened on 3/2020.

We never rebooked. We went to Italy instead for three weeks as soon as we had the opportunity to plan a big trip.

Alaska cruise is on my mind again - missing cruising - it has been a few years. Might consider Alaska again HAL, Disney or Princess? Those thoughts agin.
Can I say Yes to “HAL, Disney, or Princess”? Not picking one. I would do any based on budget or itinerary. They all offer a great experience - it is Alaska.

For us, the Disney trip could have been any Disney cruise + Alaska and its excursions (you pretty much can do the same excursions with any cruiseline.) The shows will be great, the food - meh - I have eaten it too many cruises. The bed is lovely for me, too soft for sister- and doesn’t split. You are limited to Vancouver for main port. But it also means no requirement to do a late evening, short stop in Victoria (I want a day there).

Princess ships are all very similar. They would be categorized as a “Premium” level cruise, just like Disney. But they offer discounts if you time it right. Making them a really good deal. The shows don’t interest me, but I am okay with that (no ship other than Disney has shows I routinely enjoy). I have enjoyed watching Movies Under the Stars in Alaska, munching on free popcorn, tucked under provided blankets. (Mid-summer is not really that cold. Daytime can mean t-shirts.)

HAL - is on my list of “try this.” I don’t think it is that far from the two above, other than it has a very music-based entertainment experience. The older crowd changes to include families with children for this destination.

My sister is doing a 10-night Cunard in June that includes Sitka and Victoria (all day), sailing from Vancouver. By booking closer to sailing, her price pp (with taxes) was about $1K. About $100 pp/night. Of course, plus gratuities.

WAVE season is Jan - March, when most cruiselines have reduced rate offers.

I think 4 of my 5 cruises to AK have been booked closer to sail dates (Disney was booked early). Got great deals (often taking whatever cabin was assigned).

Glacier Bay - you won’t get this experience with Disney. My favorite glacier viewing is College Fjord, in the last day of a Northbound Princess itinerary. Lots of glaciers in a few hours.

Thank you so much @auntlynne !!!!
Don’t forget to check Celebrity. That is where some of my Disney cruise friends went when ready for a break. Sometimes better prices, a calm cruise and different food.

To get a good idea about prices and sailings on lots of cruiselines, I use Vacations To Go. You sign up with an email but can opt out of advertising emails.

Last edited:
9 night to get most out of going to stops in Alaska. Do you not want to do Skagway? I would do Skagway and drop icy strait and probably do the 8 night itinerary.

Don’t forget to check Celebrity. That is where some of my Disney cruise friends went when ready for a break. Sometimes better prices, a calm cruise and different food.

To get a good idea about prices and sailings on lots of cruiselines, I use Vacations To Go. You sign up with an email but can opt out of advertising emails.
I don't know why, I forget Celebrity is another good choice. Thank you!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter