Alaska may 2019

tanya0369

Earning My Ears
just booked & so excited!
Our group includes 4 children,
6, 11, 12, 14.
Worried this might not be as fun for them. Is there enough for kids to do? Anybody ever still use the pool? Tips on excursions? Thanks!

My teenage son really enjoyed our trip to Alaska last July. There is so much on the ship alone to keep them busy, but the nature they see will amaze them.

just booked & so excited!
Our group includes 4 children,
6, 11, 12, 14.
Worried this might not be as fun for them. Is there enough for kids to do? Anybody ever still use the pool? Tips on excursions? Thanks!
We went on the May 2016 Alaska cruise with kids ages 3 to 13. We had a great time. The kids are immune to the cold and loved the pools! The lumberjack show in Ketchikan was a highlight. We rode the train in Skagway and visited the Mendenhall glacier in Juneau. Both were a lot of fun for the kids. I think you’ll all have a great time.

Pools are heated whenever air temps are below 75F. We used them with our youngest DD, air temps were around 58F--pool was nice and warm...it's just hard to get out of the pool! There really is tons for the kids to do on the cruise--kids' clubs, characters, movies, family crafts, daytime (and nightly) entertainment (my kids went to a magic/juggling workshop while DH and I did the 'Art of the Theme Show Tour').

My girls were 12 and 16 when we went in August 2016 and had a great time. Our fave excursion was from Skagway. We used Chilkoot Charters and booked the Yukon Bus and Rail with dogcart ride (includes BBQ lunch). We did bus up, train down. My oldest wanted to see dogs--so this included that--dogcart ride and holding puppies. We got the 1 way ride on the White Pass railroad--which was enough for us. We all got to say we went to the Yukon! Lots of picture taking spots, walking around, etc during the bus ride. For Juneau we did one of the Glacier Shuttles (JuneauTours--$30/person roundtrip) to get to Mendenhall Glacier. Did the walk to the waterfall and the kids did the Junior Ranger Badge activities for Tongass National Forest. For Ketchikan we did the DCL excursion 'Saxman Native Village and Lumberjack Show'. We really enjoyed both. I tried to do something different at each stop--highlight various elements of the area--dogs, train, nature, native life, and the kitschy lumberjack show.

Last edited:

We did the Float Plane over Glaciers to Taku Glacier Lodge in Juneau. It's a great flight in a float plane and then you get to explore the area around the Lodge, possibly see bears, and enjoy a great lunch. Also in Skagway we took a helicopter out onto a glacier and did a walking tour. If your children are into nature and flying both of these were AMAZING. Would do them again in the a heart beat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!