AKV or PVB

I completely agree with you guys. It would not be good for those who have a specific amount of points to book in those rooms. And I do sympathize with that.

As someone who is going to be using OKW and VB points going forward (semi-inherited) I would like to stay at some of those places as well. And while I understand that it would hurt them, I have no control over this and just seeing how it would affect our ability to book. A few point increase in the studios / villas would increase availability by owners not being able to book as many nights. It may be negligible and not have enough of an effect, sure, but if the bungalows / cabins dropped by like 15 or more points a night then that's a good amount of points saved for us if we planned to stay there for a few, and may encourage us to actually do so.

Problem is this would hurt 95% of the other owners, some who specifically bought just enough points for a certain stay in a certain season. Would cause a lot of them to shorten their vacations by a day or 2.
The other concern is the lower the point requirements for the Cabins and Bungalows the lower they command on the cash side. Which is why I don't see DVC lowering the points too much, in fact CCV cabins were reduced very little in the original 2020 point charts. Also the Cabins were booked during the Fall Frenzy with home resort priority during this year, as I was paying attention. Though the Bungalows didn't exhibit this behavior at all.

Also if they adopted a LV BLT point chart for CCV the Cabins would drop in cost by 23% (assuming that is where all points come from in such a reallocation) and studios would go up by 18%, both on average. Which in my view makes the Cabins affordable. I will say if they adopt VGF standard the Cabins drop by 63% increasing studios by 26% and putting the cabin between 1 and 2 bedrooms in point cost, so obviously a VGF point chart seems too aggressive.
I completely agree with you guys. It would not be good for those who have a specific amount of points to book in those rooms. And I do sympathize with that.

As someone who is going to be using OKW and VB points going forward (semi-inherited) I would like to stay at some of those places as well. And while I understand that it would hurt them, I have no control over this and just seeing how it would affect our ability to book. A few point increase in the studios / villas would increase availability by owners not being able to book as many nights. It may be negligible and not have enough of an effect, sure, but if the bungalows / cabins dropped by like 15 or more points a night then that's a good amount of points saved for us if we planned to stay there for a few, and may encourage us to actually do so.
Unfortunately the vacation point charts can only be reallocated considering the benefits to the home resort booking period. They can not consider what will happen during the 7 month window, theoretically.

Will you be happy in a studio in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years?

I'd buy AK all day over Poly. It's easy to dismiss that extra bathroom when your kids are young.

Which place is your favorite? That's the reason to buy a specific resort. Buy where you don't mind staying if you can't change your 11 month reservation at seven months out.

Polynesian only has studios and bungalows. I don't use studios and bungalows are too darned point crazy. Plus they only have two real beds.

Don't plan on value studios at AKV either since they are usually booked by 11 months out 8:01AM.

The other concern is the lower the point requirements for the Cabins and Bungalows the lower they command on the cash side. Which is why I don't see DVC lowering the points too much, in fact CCV cabins were reduced very little in the original 2020 point charts. Also the Cabins were booked during the Fall Frenzy with home resort priority during this year, as I was paying attention. Though the Bungalows didn't exhibit this behavior at all.

Also if they adopted a LV BLT point chart for CCV the Cabins would drop in cost by 23% (assuming that is where all points come from in such a reallocation) and studios would go up by 18%, both on average. Which in my view makes the Cabins affordable. I will say if they adopt VGF standard the Cabins drop by 63% increasing studios by 26% and putting the cabin between 1 and 2 bedrooms in point cost, so obviously a VGF point chart seems too aggressive.

Unfortunately the vacation point charts can only be reallocated considering the benefits to the home resort booking period. They can not consider what will happen during the 7 month window, theoretically.
If they did that, the studios, one and two bedroom villas would all require more points for a single night than a single night at Boulder Ridge. Right now they are the same.

If they did that, the studios, one and two bedroom villas would all require more points for a single night than a single night at Boulder Ridge. Right now they are the same.
Well yes but considering the resort is sold out they have less care to keep CCV and BRV similar in points. Not sure difference in point charts between resorts matter too much. Plus if they reduce the Cabins that much it would make CCV home resort priority very important for the Cabins as I could see them being a hot commodity.

If you like both equally, AK is probably the better choice. In the long run Poly is the better "deal" considering the maintenance fees and how expensive those animals are to keep up, but in short term AK will get you either more points for same initial cost OR you save money buying fewer points.

AK privileges will also get you unique booking categories like value and club rooms. If you like Poly too, you can always try to book there at 7 months. It's often available at 7 months, except maybe the crazy busy weeks like Christmas.

All this from a future PVB owner.

If you like both equally, AK is probably the better choice. In the long run Poly is the better "deal" considering the maintenance fees and how expensive those animals are to keep up, but in short term AK will get you either more points for same initial cost OR you save money buying fewer points.

AK privileges will also get you unique booking categories like value and club rooms. If you like Poly too, you can always try to book there at 7 months. It's often available at 7 months, except maybe the crazy busy weeks like Christmas.

All this from a future PVB owner.
Thanks! We ended up pulling the trigger on 75 pts. at AKV direct. I LOVE that resort, and wouldn’t mind staying there every time if necessary. Point charts also seem to be more favorable than the POLY.

We also are eyeballing an add on at the POLY, but wanted to lock down the direct benefits before those go up again or prices go up.

We also are eyeballing an add on at the POLY, but wanted to lock down the direct benefits before those go up again or prices go up.
That’s pretty much my plan, although I went 100 resale at poly first... I envision us picking up another contract at AKV or SSR with more points to cover every other year (or when we invite others to come down with us). I’ve been a huge fan of Poly since I was a kid, so I couldn’t resist making it our first “home”.

That’s pretty much my plan, although I went 100 resale at poly first... I envision us picking up another contract at AKV or SSR with more points to cover every other year (or when we invite others to come down with us). I’ve been a huge fan of Poly since I was a kid, so I couldn’t resist making it our first “home”.

This is us too. Poly was my wife's Disney bucket list stay so we rented points and completed a stay this summer. We're currently in ROFR process for 100 Poly points. I'm a little nervous about doing resale first because it seems like direct has increased faster than resale, but we found the right Poly contract at the right time.

I know this would decrease Disney's profit, but would it ever be possible for them to add more Bungalows without selling points against them to help alleviate some of the discrepancy? Or do you think they are content with profiting from breakage? They'd probably book if they were more in line with the CCV cabins.

I know this would decrease Disney's profit, but would it ever be possible for them to add more Bungalows without selling points against them to help alleviate some of the discrepancy? Or do you think they are content with profiting from breakage? They'd probably book if they were more in line with the CCV cabins.
Why would they build something without being paid to build them? They don't really care that the studios are subsidizing the bungalows currently. When they sell out the resort, it doesn't matter to them how the villas are booked. They've already been paid for by the members and the annual fees are paid for by the same members. If they sit empty and members don't/can't use their points isn't their concern.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!