AKV or PVB

Katie2

Mouseketeer
Given the choice for a 100 pt contract, which would your choose and why? Thanks!

AK because of Poly points chart and also studio only (I don’t count the cabanas)...but my 100% true answer is neither - I’d go with BLT but that wasn’t one of the options given.

Working on our first contract now... chose 100 at Poly as its the one we really wanted and we plan on going every other year. If that changes in the future, we’ll probably pick a similarly-sized contract at another resort and then alternate years.

Working on our first contract now... chose 100 at Poly as its the one we really wanted and we plan on going every other year. If that changes in the future, we’ll probably pick a similarly-sized contract at another resort and then alternate years.

Out of curiosity, are you purchasing direct or resale? We are also considering 100 at poly resale but then think akv direct isn’t that far off. With all the never ending changes I’m not sure if we should just bite the bullet.

Out of curiosity, are you purchasing direct or resale? We are also considering 100 at poly resale but then think akv direct isn’t that far off. With all the never ending changes I’m not sure if we should just bite the bullet.
We’re going the resale route... I considered something similiar to what you outlined above, but for some reason my wife did not want to consider AKV (which is surprising as she loves animals and the park). 🤷‍♂️

We’re going the resale route... I considered something similiar to what you outlined above, but for some reason my wife did not want to consider AKV (which is surprising as she loves animals and the park). 🤷‍♂️

Thanks!

Given the choice for a 100 pt contract, which would your choose and why? Thanks!

The one at the resort I wanted to stay at most of the time. If both are equal then AKV for the lower price and lower room point requirements.

It really depends on what your needs are. Those are 2 very different resorts. with very different point charts and room categories.

You really don't want to go into it buying a set amount of points. what you want to do is first look at what room size you want, when you will be traveling then look at points charts. From that figure out the number of points you would need to stay at your desired resort.

If you plan to travel every year the you need to buy the number of points to afford your room size every year. don't be fooled by looking at the points charts for say early December -- points are very cheap this time of year. Look at all times of the year you may travel because if you want to go in April that same room will cost more points. Check out Davds DVC rental site. They have a great points calculator which shows you all resorts and all the points cost for every room category at a glance.

Really write a pro/con list for each resort including the financial impact. It is best to buy where you want to stay. We actually own both AK and Poly. Initially bought AK because budget wise we could afford it and it had 1BR for our family of 5. But then we stayed at Poly and fell in love, so we added on another resale there. We know we will want some trips with bigger accommodations so having the AK contract helps with that aspect as Poly only had studios (and the insanely over priced bungalows) but we love it so some trips we are willing to squeeze into the Poly studios.

Do you like the Poly enough to pay 20% more points per night than the current point charts? There is a high chance they'll reallocate bungalows points to studios at Poly. If you buy, buy 20% more points than you need right now.

Do you like the Poly enough to pay 20% more points per night than the current point charts? There is a high chance they'll reallocate bungalows points to studios at Poly. If you buy, buy 20% more points than you need right now.

Just curious, if this is the case, why haven't they reallocated them yet? They could have done it any year recently and each year remains similar. Why do you think they will?

Assuming you are looking at studios, I think AKV tends to have more availability at 7 months, so is easier to get, which points me to the Poly.
However, that comes with the disclaimer that the Poly is my favorite.

If you are looking at Christmas, however, I think the Poly is awful and AKV rocks.

If they are equal to you, and you would be happy at either, I would say go AKV because of price. Outside of busy times you can probably switch into Poly enough.

Just curious, if this is the case, why haven't they reallocated them yet? They could have done it any year recently and each year remains similar. Why do you think they will?

It might not be that easy. They would have to lower a bungalow on average 18 points per night, and add 1 point to each studio per night. And Poly studios are already in line with VGF, which, at least in Disney's Marketing, is their "Flagship resort"

They have already, and got so much hate email from it that they revised it back....... but left open the possibility.

They have already, and got so much hate email from it that they revised it back....... but left open the possibility.
Yeah the initial 2020 point charts had Standard Studios going up on average 2.2% and Lake Studios going up on average 4.65%. This meant an average decrease in price of 7.5% on the bungalows.

As mentioned, it was done in the original 2020 charts that were released but later pulled due to feedback about all the charts, not specifically PVB.

Interesting. I was hoping for better 7-month availability at PVB or CCV and an adjustment to the point chart may help that. Even it didn't help I'd be very interested in the Bungalows or Cabins at a bit lower point costs.

Interesting. I was hoping for better 7-month availability at PVB or CCV and an adjustment to the point chart may help that. Even it didn't help I'd be very interested in the Bungalows or Cabins at a bit lower point costs.

Problem is this would hurt 95% of the other owners, some who specifically bought just enough points for a certain stay in a certain season. Would cause a lot of them to shorten their vacations by a day or 2.

I do not even know if that would help. While the cabins are a little cheaper than the Bungalows, if you wanted one week a year in a Bora Bora Bungalow purchase prices were like
Adventure: 144,000$
Choice: 150,000$
Dream: 169,000$
Magic: 202,000$
Premier: 247,000$

Not to mention, for the annual dues you could pretty much take the family to the real Bora Bora!

I just do not think all that many people got points with the notion of using them at the bungalows.

I do not think a reallocation will all of a sudden cause people to drop studios and switch to Bungalows or cabins.

Of course it can't hurt - but it kinda hoses the people who bought with the intention of staying in a studio and got just enough points

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter