AKV or BWV June?

SwanVT2

DIS Veteran
We are crossing fingers that a vaccine will become available this spring. We are looking at renting DVC points for when school gets out. We have stayed at SSR in the past and really like it, but also miss the Boardwalk. We visited AKL for lunch at Sanaa on our last trip and the hotel is beautiful, but it is also very isolated. AKV and BWV are the same price for rental. We have a daughter, who will be 9 at the time. Of course, we have not been in June (I went in June as a kid, and do remember the heat), so the heat might be harder to deal with for us. Any tips on which we should lean towards? Thanks!

We are crossing fingers that a vaccine will become available this spring. We are looking at renting DVC points for when school gets out. We have stayed at SSR in the past and really like it, but also miss the Boardwalk. We visited AKL for lunch at Sanaa on our last trip and the hotel is beautiful, but it is also very isolated. AKV and BWV are the same price for rental. We have a daughter, who will be 9 at the time. Of course, we have not been in June (I went in June as a kid, and do remember the heat), so the heat might be harder to deal with for us. Any tips on which we should lean towards? Thanks!
TBH, I think you will pretty much have to go with whichever one has something available. We are already inside the 7-month booking window for most of June. BWV is popular and has fewer villas than AKV. Your chances of getting AKV are much greater.

Keep in mind that most DVC rentals are nonrefundable. If the resorts are open, you won't be able to cancel and get your money back.

TBH, I think you will pretty much have to go with whichever one has something available. We are already inside the 7-month booking window for most of June. BWV is popular and has fewer villas than AKV. Your chances of getting AKV are much greater.

Keep in mind that most DVC rentals are nonrefundable. If the resorts are open, you won't be able to cancel and get your money back.
Thank you. Yes, we have rented points before, so we understand the limitations with cancellations.

It is unlikely that Jambo will have reopened by June, so keep that in mind. Food options on resort are pretty limited at AKV right now.

It is unlikely that Jambo will have reopened by June, so keep that in mind. Food options on resort are pretty limited at AKV right now.
as an owner & used to seeing so many people in the public spaces, that is a bit of a Silver lining.

Cancelled trip this week, had to really work at it to find a studio open there first few weeks in May to replace the trip.

OP as others have mentioned, you really need to book something asap.

JMHO, I wouldn’t rent points unless you are 110% sure of the owner’s cancellation/refund policy Good luck

as an owner & used to seeing so many people in the public spaces, that is a bit of a Silver lining.
I think for a lot of people, especially people who are renting points who may be used to places with food courts and food access, or who may know AKV because they dined there...

It could be an issue.

I think for a lot of people, especially people who are renting points who may be used to places with food courts and food access, or who may know AKV because they dined there...

It could be an issue.
Absolutely. It could be a nightmare without having a car or being willing to use uber unless planning on doing a lot of inroom cooking.

Your daughter will love Animal Kingdom Lodge, especially if you have a savannah view. Request close to the main lobby. Food is limited there, so you would need to plan on having groceries delivered so you can eat breakfast and / or lunch in the room. You can mobile order for take out from Sana'a, and they serve all three meals, but you can't get lunch items from there in the evening. The pool at AKL-Kidani is lots of fun for a mid-day break. The buses are fine, and really, the travel times were not that bad. I would go back there in a heart beat!

Tough choice as we own at both and love going to both.
Currently AKL has very little food available. I'm hoping by the time we arrive in April, that has changed as we adore Jiko and Boma (both currently closed).
It is so cool to get up in the morning, sit on the balcony and watch the animals in the savannah. Doesn't get better than that.
However, we love walking to 2 parks, so we also own at BWV.
Where to stay? If you plan to spend most of your time at EPCOT or HS, then BWV. If not, then I would do AKL. If you want a 1 BR, AKL at Kidani is much bigger.

Even when Jambo was open, the food options were incredibly limited compared to BWV.

My kids are obsessed with the BW area, ages 7 and 10. Lots to do, lots to see, lots to eat. Our personal preference. Good luck....

BWV by a mile over AKV overall. The main thing with AKV is the savanna and they do have a few different events daily (not sure about during COVID times).

I do think AKV is a cool experience though to stay at least once. Possibly you do it to start your trip for 1 or 2 nights and plan on doing AK while there (personally I think it sucks getting to the other parks waiting on the busses had terrible experience over the course of 10 nights last year).

Even when Jambo was open, the food options were incredibly limited compared to BWV.

My kids are obsessed with the BW area, ages 7 and 10. Lots to do, lots to see, lots to eat. Our personal preference. Good luck....

BW has a ton of food options if you consider how short of a walk it is between BW/BC/YC/Swan/Dolphin. Then you add in park hoppers (which we always have) and you get a bunch of restaurants at Epcot as well within a 30 min walk.

It is 0.65 miles from the furthest part of Kidani all the way to the restaurants in Jambo. Flip side that gets you from the furthest part of BWV all the way to UK or France.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!