AKV Concerns........

Well the best along with OKW, SSR and any future DVC that does share bus service with another resort.

Except AKL has one bus stop....making it better than OWK or SSR, because busses can't get "filled" at a previous stop and pass you by. Obviously, only comparing to CURRENT resorts.

I guess this is a case of hearing what you want to hear.

I agree, I'm just not sure it's ME who's doing it. ;) Simply discounting my information because it contradicts yours seems to indicate that, as well. Notice, I didn't say what you were hearing was wrong (it's not, in my expereince, true for me, but others can feel differently). nor did I discount it. I said I found it odd because I've heard differently, and to see something categorized with such finality, when there is lots of differing opionions on the subject, seemed a bit strange. In addition, I was simply pointing out that when I do hear guest "worries" about transport, they seem to often come from those who have not yet stayed there (not always, but notably often). I don't see how my "anecdotal's" are any less compelling than yours......other than that they're not what you want to hear.

I've been visiting AKL for 4-5 years now. I always strike up conversations with guests there. I hear how great the resort theme is, how good the restaurants are, how cool it is to have coffee with the giraffes, but I have yet to hear a guest regale how wonderful the bus service is. On the contrary, I hear how long the busses take and how "far out" it is from everything. It almost seems to be a compromise between enjoying a great theme vs. being able to enjoy other themes.

Again, I'll point to the data around the DIS boards from the AKL guests posting (look at this very thread). Maybe not the most objective scientific data, to be sure. But then, neither is your "striking up conversations with guests", since it's unqualifed anecdotal data. And, granted, I've not taken to surveying other guests while at AKL, since I'm not really conducting market research. However from reading HERE, I seem to read a lot of prospective guests worrying, a lot of previous guest telling them not to worry, and then those prospective guests coming back from their trips and saying "Hey, you're right....it's not bad".

It may very well be about perspective, but the impression you're giving is MOST people feel as you're espousing. There is ample evidence that's simply not true. Many, many, many people say that AKL transportation is the best on property, bar none. Is AKL somewhat removed from things? Yes. But I'm not sure I'd rate a 20-ish minute bus ride to MK, 5 min to AK, and 10 to 15 min to Epcot or MGM as "remote". Again, maybe it's about perspective....but not everyone, and not even MOSTLY everyone, seems to feel the way you indicate. I'd say it's a pretty even split, at the very least.

I know for me, I ultimately voted to save my add-on dollars for a future CRV. Not because I love the theme at CRV more but because I love its location. AKV is a place I want to try for its theme, and expect I will be able to at 7 mos., but the negatives outweigh the positives. Fortunately I'm not in the situation of a 5 or 9 family. We're either 2-4 or 6-8 guests. That means our decision was based solely on location, theme and resort amenities.

To be clear, the negatives outweigh the positives FOR YOU. You seem to imply that equation would apply to everyone (and you probably do it unintentionally). I would peg the CR and AKV as roughly equal, for us. The thing is CRV isn't available...though we'll probably add on if CRV ever comes to fruition....so AKV's positives make it vastly better FOR OUR FAMILY, with all due consideration, than any other offering currently out. Everyone needs to make that determination on their own.....

We stayed in one of those Deluxe rooms - they really are the worst rooms in the hotel. The whole point of staying out at AKL for us was to watch the animals - and five floors up is as far away as you can get from the gazelles and the giraffes. It was a nice room, it was just the wrong location - and having paid more for the worst view, we weren't very satisfied. I suspect that is a big issue with those family suites.

Course, those are the Jambo rooms they are turning over to DVC - so the Jambo rooms won't have a lot of appeal for us - been there, done that, and we'd rather have a smaller room closer to the animals.

Loved the resort though....even with the bad view watching the animals was really special. We'll go back (and may book VAK), but we'll hope for (and book to get) a low floor next time).

Again, I guess it's all about perspective.

I've stayed on the 3rd and 5th floors. I think the 3rd floor rooms are more "intimate" viewing spaces, but the 5th floor rooms are more expansive viewing spaces. I liked them both (which is what's nice about AKV....we can request by whichever "mood" strikes us once Kidani opens) for different reasons.

I agree crisi. Our first stay at AKL was in a Deluxe room. We had some great animal viewing from our room and at the time thought it was wonderful. In subsequent stays, we were on the 3rd floor and most recently the 2nd floor and WOW! the view from the second floor puts you at eye level with the giraffes -- incredible!

So for us the choice between Jambo House and Kidani will come down to whether we want to try for a room closer to the animals or a room closer to Boma, my DH's other favorite thing about AKL.

We'll choose Kidani every time it's available. The new water play area, and the "extra" bathroom make it more appealing to our large (and relatively young) brood.

I just wanted to thank everyone here in this thread for all of the helpful thoughts. I appreciate all of them and they all helped in one way or another.

We have decided not to add on AKV. We are quite happy owning at BCV. I'll try for a 7 month ressie at AKV and we'll keep AKV on the back burner for now.

After trying and not liking SSR and BWV we are a little hesitant to buy a resort before we try it.

Thanks again everyone.

Mike

That's a great idea...try before you buy. It's not like AKV is going anywhere for the next year or 3, at least.

Give it a try, and they decide.

We stayed in one of those Deluxe rooms - they really are the worst rooms in the hotel. The whole point of staying out at AKL for us was to watch the animals - and five floors up is as far away as you can get from the gazelles and the giraffes. It was a nice room, it was just the wrong location - and having paid more for the worst view, we weren't very satisfied. I suspect that is a big issue with those family suites.

Course, those are the Jambo rooms they are turning over to DVC - so the Jambo rooms won't have a lot of appeal for us - been there, done that, and we'd rather have a smaller room closer to the animals.

Loved the resort though....even with the bad view watching the animals was really special. We'll go back (and may book VAK), but we'll hope for (and book to get) a low floor next time).

Hi!

Have you stayed in other lower level rooms at AKL? We stayed in a 5th floor deluxe room and we really enjoyed the views! I thought it was neat to be higher up so we could see more of the Savannah. So my question is if you have stayed on lower and higher floors, what the difference is? I loved that resort and can't wait to go "home" in September, so I will have to be on the fifth floor, but for future visits once the new building is open, I wonder what will be more preferable! (Boy 2009 seems so far away!)

Thanks!

Poohmom :hippie:

I'm pretty sure that my DH will request a higher floor. As soon as we added on at AKV, the first thing he said was "Wow, now we need to get better binoculars to see all those animals." (WE?) :lmao:

That's a great idea...try before you buy. It's not like AKV is going anywhere for the next year or 3, at least.

Give it a try, and they decide.

Hello,

This brings me to a question, how long does it typically take a resort to sell out? I think I read recently that Saratoga Springs was about 80% sold out, how long has it been for sale? Which also has me wondering how much of AKV will be sold before it is opened?

Oh, and I totally agree too, since you have some time, give it a try before you buy. We had very often considered giving SSR a try because we knew we wanted to buy into DVC, but we didn't know much about SSR, but when AKV was announced, we knew we loved it because we had stayed there, and decided that was our calling. Do keep in mind that if you try AKV soon, you will be in Jambo House, so not exactly what most of AKV will be, but it is a good way to see if you like the safari type theme!

Good luck!

Poohmom :hippie:

We'll choose Kidani every time it's available. The new water play area, and the "extra" bathroom make it more appealing to our large (and relatively young) brood.
I think that water play area will be great fun! I'm looking forward to trying Kidani Village, too. But I also have a great fondness for the Lodge. Maybe it's because it's where we stayed on our very first trip to WDW (and several subsequent trips), but I just love the atmosphere in the Lodge. I expect I will develop the same feeling about Kidani Village. And I won't mind walking to Boma, even from the far end of Kidani if that's where we happen to be. I've always felt I needed a good long walk after eating at Boma! So I believe I'll be happy in either building. Our one regret in joining DVC back in 2005 was giving up our stays at AKL. I'm just happy to have that option back again!

I think that water play area will be great fun! I'm looking forward to trying Kidani Village, too. But I also have a great fondness for the Lodge. Maybe it's because it's where we stayed on our very first trip to WDW (and several subsequent trips), but I just love the atmosphere in the Lodge. I expect I will develop the same feeling about Kidani Village. And I won't mind walking to Boma, even from the far end of Kidani if that's where we happen to be. I've always felt I needed a good long walk after eating at Boma! So I believe I'll be happy in either building. Our one regret in joining DVC back in 2005 was giving up our stays at AKL. I'm just happy to have that option back again!

We really have a fondness for the lodge, too....and I"m sure we'll take many a walk over to eat at Boma's, or just check out the art exhibits (or just to get a whiff of that amazing smell you get when walking in the lobby). But from a pure amenities standpoint, at least til the kids are older, Kidani seems like it'll be a bit of a better fit. Now, once the kids are in their tweens/teens? We'll have to see.....the call of having Jiko's right downstairs is pretty compelling....I'm just not sure it's more compelling than having the extra bathroom with 2 tween/teen girls. :)

:)

We have decided not to add on AKV. We are quite happy owning at BCV. I'll try for a 7 month ressie at AKV and we'll keep AKV on the back burner for now.

After trying and not liking SSR and BWV we are a little hesitant to buy a resort before we try it.
Mike

I think that's a good idea. If you're not completely comfortable with AKV, you're doing the right thing. AKV will always be available if you change your mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter