AKL...yes, I'm going to ask!

babyblue61

DIS Veteran
I know this question has been asked a million times, and the responses should now qualify as general knowledge, but I'm going to ask. After looking for a great deal last night, I cannot tell what the general consensus is; i.e. Zebra trail, Arusha savannah, 2nd or 3rd floor??? If anyone has it in their heart to run through his/her opinion once more, I would greatly appreciate it. Detailed reasoning for pros and cons of each would be fantastic. Thanks for your time!!

We just stayed at AKL and as per our request we were on Zebra trail,arusha savannah on a third floor.We loved the location.I asked for a quiet room and we ended up almost at the end of the horseshoe.

Pro:
-3rd floor no need to wait for an elevator,since, the lobby is also located on the third floor.
-Wonderful view of the animals.You are a bit higher so you can actually look a bit farther.
-It was quiet. We did not hear anyone talk as they walked by the room .I did hear a couple of kids yelling excited at the top of their lungs in their balcony whenever thay saw an animal,but, luckily they were on the inside of the horse shoe,so, that wasn't a problem.
-We did have to pass thru 2 viewing areas to get to our room.Sometimes we would stop and watch the animals on the other side of the trail.
Cons:
-A long walk from the lobby at least 3-5 minutes.(yes,I will request this location again!)

If you have any more questions, I wil be happy to answer them!!

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :) :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

We were on Zebra Trail, 2nd floor on one of the little off shoot hallways to the right hand side (Therefor not overlooking the Arusha Rock). We liked it very much.

Pros:
- Not on main corridor, so VERY quite location.
- On second floor, so rarely used elevator. Walked down hallway to lobby and up small set of stairs at the rear of lobby usually.
- Quite close (short walk) to pool, Mara's and laundry
- Liked the view - almost looking animals in the eye! Pictures came out great (especially with the zoom.)

Cons:
- Did have a "people pen" in our peripherary view. This did not bother me, but I know some people really get worked up over that.

I too would request this location again. The resort is just magnificent! You'll love it whatever your room assignment!

I'd appreciate any info as well. We are getting close to making our request too. Thanks from our group as well.

We were in 3511 on Zebra Trail overlooking Arusha.

Pros: Close to lobby
Lobby level
Great view of animals
Lots of animals

Cons: None :D
Could prove noisy b/c of people going past...we did not
experience this

pewing, just wondering if you made any requests to get this great location? Is there just one elevator in this hall? I might requet Zebra trail near the elevator. I want to be close to the pool also...thanks...amy

Here is a copy of the request I sent:

December 4, 2002

Hello from Huntsville, Alabama!

We are looking forward to our upcoming trip to Walt Disney World. My husband and I are celebrating our 10th Anniversary with this trip!
We will be staying with you at the Animal Kingdom Lodge from December 8th through December 14th and I wanted to see if you could possibly accommodate our room requests for this trip. We have a savannah view, need a nonsmoking room, would love to secure a room overlooking Arusha Rock, preferably on the Zebra Trail with an unobstructed view. We are traveling with our two mouskateers (ages 6 & 8) and they would enjoy bunk beds although we would also be perfectly comfortable with two queen-sized beds. Thank you in advance for any help you can give us in making our visit perfect!

Sincerely,

We stayed at AKL from 12/15-12/18. We had a room on the 4th floor overlooking the savanah. Don't know off hand which area we were facing but we saw giraffes, zebras, ankole cattle, gemsboks, wildebeests and elands. We had a decent view of the animals. DS8 would jump out of bed in the AM and run to the balcony to see the animals. DH and I saw the zebras really close one evening when we returned from MVMCP very late. They were close up to the fenced areas ripping grass and eating it. DH, DS8 and DS2 really loved the resort.
There were only two drawbacks to me. Our room was located way down towards the end of the hall. It was a long walk from the lobby area - especially when the kids fell asleep and we were lugging them back to the room. The other thing, which I know I've read about here, is the room seemed awfully dark to me. I felt like I always wanted to turn on lights, even though every light in the room was on. These two things would not discourage us from staying there in the future. Just something to be aware of.

I loved our room at AKL a few weeks ago. We were in 4519.

Zebra Trail, Arusha Savannah, just into the 4th building in the horseshoe, so very quiet. We had 2 feeding bins for the giraffe outside our balcony as well as a watering hole - we had animals around morning, noon and night. The only time we didn't see them was when we were gone or they were off the savannah.

At one time, we counted 15 different animals involving 5 or 6 species outside the window.

I think any Savannah room at AKL are good. Since not all animals are on all Savannahs, if you want to see a specific animal - check which animals are on which Savannah and remember to include that in your request.

Enjoy your stay!

We are staying concierge the last three nights of our trip. Does anyone know what savannahs concierge rooms face.? Does the room assigner take requests for concierge rooms or should I make my request to the concierge staff for a room?

Renee

Zebra Trail, 4th floor, overlooking Arusha savannah. That's where we stayed and LOVED it!!!! I think Kudu Trail overlooking Arusha savannah would be just as nice

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter