AKL standard room choices

jakal

Earning My Ears
Hi All-

First and foremost- you all Rock!! I visit the boards often, and you all are the best source of info. My family all thinks I'm some Disney fountain of knowledge, but really it's all of you! Thanks! On to my question. I'm going down to Disney in mid May and decided to add a day on to the beginning to aid in coordination with other family members. I'm a DVC owner and will be staying at OKW with my two sisters (YEA!) and four kids for 5 nights. I added a night on to the beginning at AKL. I've never been there, or has anyone else in my party. I booked two standard rooms ($139 + tax), as we're trying to save a little money (hah-ha at Disney) Anyway, for standard rooms at AKL is there anything I should request? Do I have any choices? I heard it's all "parking lot view". Any help is appreciated. I think we'll be spending a lot of time at the pool. Should I request close to the pool? Or are there even any standard rooms there? Thanks all!

Chris
in COLD Michigan

Hello! :)

The rooms around the pool are all "pool view" rooms. I think for standard your only choices are parking lot or tree. ;) If I were you I'd just request "best view possible" and maybe ask to be away from the bus stop area. :)

Good Luck!!! :)

Hey!
I don't know when you are going- but we typically travel in February or September- when we stayed at the AKL- we paid for a standard room on a discount $129- they put us in a room that was on the 3rd floor overlooking the savannah- couldn't have been sweeter- so if you're really sweet and kind to them- hey bring them some cookies or treats from your area- and if they have the room (meaning not prime season) you might just be surprised!
Tara

Standard rooms on Giraffe Trail are very close to the pool (have an elevator to the ground level) and are a short walk to the food venues and bus stops. Try for an upper floor (3rd floor is level with front walkway to bus stop). -HM

I agree--ask for anything BUT 3rd floor. Yuck!

Anne

We were at AKL last week and had paid for a standard room, but faxed a room request for an upgrade 4 days before arrival. We got a first floor room on the Zebra Trail (1485) that had a minor savannah view and mostly a view of the spa. It was VERY close to the pool and convenient to everything else. Given that it was spring break, I felt quite lucky.

I suggest faxing your request 4 days prior in a very brown nosing fashion! Good luck...the AKL ROCKS!!!

We booked a standard view room during President's week. I requested a quiet room, non-smoking with bunk beds. I called the room assignor 2 days before arrival and confirmed my requests. I also asked for the best view possible. She advised all my requests would be met. We were upgraded to a great pool view. My impression is they upgrade whenever possible. I was advised by the room assignor and bell hop that if we were in any way not happy with our room, they would switch us to another one. You will love AKL! It is our new favorite Disney resort.

We were there over Columbus Day weekend when the lodge was completely full, so no upgrades were available. But our standard room on the 5th floor Giraffe Trail was very close to the pool, lobby, and restaurants...

Hi Disney pals....I'm waiting for a nifty rate to stay at the AKL, and as I roam around here, looking for AKL info, I have one question - what's the skinny with the room requests? I've never thought to make a special request for a particular room or location before. I've read the previous posts and this seems like usual practice! Do you mean to say that I can pay for a standard view, and then days before I arrive, I can fax a request for a better room at the same rate if it's available? Details, I need details!

Have a great evening!

Kim

Originally posted by merrywether
I've read the previous posts and this seems like usual practice! Do you mean to say that I can pay for a standard view, and then days before I arrive, I can fax a request for a better room at the same rate if it's available?

It's not usual practice. If you go expecting a free upgrade, you will more than likely be disappointed.

I'm a little confused! We just booked a standard view room at the AKL. I'm thrilled even to just stay there! But, I admit an upgrade would be great too. How do I go about it? I don't think we're terribly comfortable with asking for it at check in. Is that what most of you do? I could fax 4 days before but I'm not quite sure what to say? But like I said, we're happy to be staying there at all! Thanks for any info.

As Gepetto said upgrades are never a guarantee. Never expect more than you pay for.

I would not be comfortable asking for something I have not paid for. If I was offered a complimentary upgrade at checkin as a surprise and not a request I would graciously accept. I would not be comfortable asking for it in advance and there is always they chance they will upgrade you and you will pay the difference.

I do not fax requests, I make them when I book my room and they are never very specific. Just general things such as quiet location, uppper floor etc.

Everyone is different and only you can decide what you are comfortable with.

I do know some Cast Members that work the front desk at the resorts have commented the faxing is getting out of control.

Also if the guest paying the regular rate for a Savanna or pool view begins to complain that too many people are posting on Internet forums about free upgrades while they paid for the view, I guarantee it will come to an end real quick.

Would you want to pay the cost of a Savanna room to find out later on an internet forum that many people got the same view for alot less money.

Not wanting to start a debate here at all, but what is the difference in having someone beside you that got the same view as you for less money, than somebody beside you that received a free upgrade without asking?

Just let me say that the reason I asked is because I'm really curious to know how most people feel about this.
I know for many years we went,and always had to pay rack rates for the views we wanted,because we never knew discount codes exsisted.I think we were VERY fortunate that we have been blessed enough to be able to do that,many people are not.
I would much rather see a room that would otherwise sit empty,filled with a family that maybe just couldn't swing the extra $$$ for the better view, and were fourtunate enough to receive a free upgrade. I would NOT want them to miss out simply because I paid for the view and they did not.We decide which room and view we want, we try to get the best deal possible,and as long as we get we paid for, I could care less that the person beside me paid less or even received their view free.

Having said that,let me also say that I would not ASK for a free upgrade in a fax.If I were you I think I would just word it in such a way that maybe an upgrade would be prefferable,like......

If at all possible,it would be great to have a view of something other than the parking area.

That would leave the RA open to either put you in the best location for a standard view possible,or maybe even upgrade if your LUCKY.The operative word there being LUCKY!!
It's really not certain weather a fax will make any difference or not,but I think it's worth a shot.It's not like it could decrese your chances any.
Just go wth the thoughts that if you get an upgrade it will be a WONDERFUL surprise,but if you don't, please don't let it ruin the whole experience.Just spend alot of time outside or the room, enjoying the beautiful lodge and animal viewing areas. I think you'll have a GREAT time whichever way it goes.:D

I'm glad I posted my question because the answers are really helpful. Thanks to all! The moral of the story seems to be to pay for what you can afford, know that you'll be guaranteed a room somewhere magical, and maybe you'll luck out and an upgrade may come your way! I can live with that!

Have a great day, Disney Pals!

Kim

Just to clarify a couple of items regarding my situation. My primary purpose far faxing a request prior to arrival is for something that is very important such as room configuration. Is this instance at the AKL, I needed a Queen and a set of bunk beds instead of two double beds for our family. Anyone with two young sons know that getting them to sleep quietly together in one bed is not the easiest accomplishment. I made this request at the time I booked my reservation and faxed the request as a follow up. I simply added in my request that it be even more magical if my children had a view of the animals from our room in the most polite way I possibly could. I realized going in that it was a long shot. I also must say that had I actually PAID the additional amount for the particular savannah view room that we received, I would have been disappointed. I suspect that not all savannah view rooms are equal and that some have better access to animal views than others. I hope that the lesser savannah rooms are given as surprise upgrades and not to folks that actually paid the difference. This is the type room that we received and we were thrilled at having a view at all.

At non Disney hotels I often ask at checkin if any upgrades are available. Sometimes I get one, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I pay the difference, sometimes I don't. I guess I'm just saying that you never know unless you ask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter