AKL Standard Room???? Anyone have an opinion??

If you stayed at an AKL Standard would you do it again?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.

jiminyfan

Daddy, Dreamer and WDWnut
Ok, just book a Standard room at AKL for the 4th of July week and would like to know what to expect.

we stayed at he AKL with a Savannah view in Oct of 2001 and besides the lack of a view - what else could be different??

:p

Personally, I feel the view is the room. I would not stay at AKL without a Savannah view......just my preference. The whole idea of the Lodge was to be able to view animals from your room so I would stay somewhere else if I could not afford a savannah view.

I voted "NO".

I had a good rate at AKL ($139) standard view for 5/17-5/21. I was never 100% comfortable with the rate because I thought it was still pretty high for no real view. Gee. I'd like to look over the parking lot onto 192. Then, we bought 200 extra DVC points and I downgraded to All Stars Sports for $70 and then again to the Renaissance World Gate for $25 per night on Priceline using a $10 bonus link I got for a bad stay somewhere else. The interesting thing about the Renaissance is that it's on 192 near AKL and the view is of the tree of life :).

You'll just have a view of the parking lot. No big deal. There are plenty of animal viewing places in the resort.

I think AKL is a lot more comfortable than the moderates. :)

While we haven't stayed at AKL, we always book a standard room at the YC. It is usually the first class of room to sell out, so many times, (5 out of 6) we are upgraded when we checked in.
Afterall, when you book standard, there is no where else to go but up!!!:):D:)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I think the chances of you getting upgraded from standard to savannah is good. Only 132 out of the 1000+ rooms at AKL have standard view. It would only be a good business practice to offer you a savannah view if they had it available. You'd be real happy and might pay for savannah view next time. The only clincher is that while it is likely, you can't really count on it.

I"m staying at AKL in July with a standard view. There are plenty of places to enjoy the animals. I'm not a big balcony person and I feel that $139 I am paying per night for Disney's newest resort is quite a bargain. I'm happy to be there. I have no problem with the possibility of having a slight view of a highway.:) I didn't vote in your poll because I have not stayed there yet. Give it a try! The money saved could be spent on a nice dinner at Jiko or Boma's.:D

I booked a standard room in April. We were assigned two different rooms and both overlooked the pool. (The first room was smoking and we had to change - allergies). Very nice room. i don't think this was an upgrade, because it happened both times.

It is likely that you will be upgraded to a pool view room, depending on how busy the hotel is. I get the feeling that people don't often book the pool view rooms. I certainly am willing to pay more to see the savannahs, but not to see little kids going down the slide! I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way.

For anyone who didn't know, there are three view categories of rooms at the AKL, savannah, pool & standard. Standards (mostly) face the parking lot. Some face the pool area but have a view of the roof.

You can request a high floor to be away from any foot traffic going to the busses, just in case all they have left is parking lot side.

I'm wondering if the people who voted No on your poll have actually stayed in a standard view room, or if they just don't think you should. Anyone?

I voted no, but I haven't stayed in a standard biew room (or any room for that matter--only 17 more days!) The reason for my vote is that to me, the attraction of AKL IS the view. You give up a lot to stay in this resort (no boats, no alternate transportation, no quiet pool, quite a distance from the rest of thw "World"), but what you gain is a view that you can't have anywhere else. To me, this is the only real draw of the resort (I know it's beautiful, but so are a lot of resorts @ WDW, with more ammenities.)

Although there are plenty of viewing places within the resort, I still can't forget that feeling I had sitting at night on my balcony with a glass of wine watching "my" 6 giraffes feed and look at me. It was breathtaking to say the least.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter