• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKL HA rooms

TheresaNY

DIS Veteran
Any idea where the HA rooms for AKL Standard are located ? I checked the thread for room locations and did not see any AKL info. We were trying to get a roll in shower but couldn't - only have bars etc. The CM at CRO wasn't sure. Also, do they have loaner w/cs at AKL like they did at WL? Taking ML and she is recovering from broken back (lumbar) and surgery to fuse cervical vertebrae. Would really love a walk -in shower. We are afraid that she will get tired from the walking and would really benefit from the chair. Is it possible to request from the front desk a week before check - in? This way if they don't have we can rent?

Accessible rooms at AKL are spread throughout the Resort and suppposedly are available in all categories of rooms.

And they do have loaner wheelchairs availble. However, (a) they are on a first-come, first-served basis and cannot be reserved, and (b) may not be the correct size for MIL (either too big or too small).

If you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. One of the top items is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information, including where people rent wheelchairs and ECVs; you may be much better off renting from an outside company.

Or, if you want an easier route, click on the link in my signature.

If it's an option for ML, you could do the room with grab bars and ask maintenance for a showerseat. You can put the seat over the tub, creating a place for ML to sit. No need to go all the way down into the tub any more, not as slippery etc. However, this would require ML to be able to sit on the showerseat and through making a turn and sliding bumm a bit get into the right position.

I have had trouble getting a standard room with roll in shower before. Didn't get the numbers, but the information I got from the SN department leaves me to think that in this category there is either on or very few rooms with roll in shower. Didn't end up actually staying there yet, but tried multiple times to book such a room 12+ months prior and no such luck.

Thanks for all the ideas/suggestions. Since her neck had the rod and screws placed she has lost the ability to look up and down. She is also tall and heavy and all these factors make it challenging stepping in and out of tubs especially in foreign places to her (even though a 'tub is a tub' as some people tell her!) I definitely understand her fear but she is a trooper and is going with us come hell or high water. I would just really love to be able to make it as safe and easy as possible. I offered to pay the upgrade if a HA room was only avail in pool or savannah views but they said it isn't available anywhere. Has anyone had any luck getting a better room closer to check in by call the resort? Do people cancel their ressies on HAs close to date like the non-HA rooms?

Has anyone had any luck getting a better room closer to check in by call the resort? Do people cancel their ressies on HAs close to date like the non-HA rooms?
Handicapped Accessible rooms are handled by the Special Needs Department. When someone calls to make a reservation for a HA room, the CM making the reservation actually calls the Special Needs Department to see whether or not one is available for that time period. If one is, Special Needs blocks a room for that reservation/guest and adds the reservation to their special needs log. That is how they keep track of how many HA rooms are left that can be rented out.
It would not help to call the resort because they don't have access to that Special Needs log. People needing HA sometimes cancel just like other guests.

Thanks so much Sue. That makes a lot of sense and explains why that when I called to add a day they had to place me on hold and call a "different department to release your reservation....we can't make any changes unless they release it". So, then is there a number for HA room reservations that I should call and speak with directly?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter