Akershus and CRT - comparable experiences?

lovethesun12

DIS Veteran
Finalizing dining plans here now :)

We have eaten at CRT in Easter 2017 and 2018 and LOVED it both times. My husband loved it too so I'm kinda scared to change it based on that alone. :rotfl:

This year we are staying at Beach Club and due to when we want to eat and proximity this one seems to make more sense. My daughter has a BBB appointment at MK at 11am. We always head back to the resort for the afternoon.

It just makes more sense for us to walk to Epcot to eat at Akershus at 6pm rather than make the trek back to MK.

Any comments/thoughts/suggestions?
TIA!

Last edited:
There is something about eating in the castle that is special, but since you have done it do Akershus!

We have done both several times and my girls (8 and 9) and my husband and I all prefer Akershus. I have never had a good server at the castle in the five times we have eaten there. It is always a grumpy old man.

Akershus has basically the same princesses and we love the food. It seems more intimate, too. It will be so much easier from the Beach Club, too!
Have fun!

There is something about eating in the castle that is special, but since you have done it do Akershus!

We have done both several times and my girls (8 and 9) and my husband and I all prefer Akershus. I have never had a good server at the castle in the five times we have eaten there. It is always a grumpy old man.

Akershus has basically the same princesses and we love the food. It seems more intimate, too. It will be so much easier from the Beach Club, too!
Have fun!

All of this. Do CRT once and then Akershusu until they get tired of princesses.

Piggybacking on this thread! We are planning to do Akershus this time. Belle is the favorite for our kiddo and I think Akershus is still the best place to get a one on one with her, right? Plus I know my husband will love the food. We did CRT last time and it’s awesome but we also waited an extra 45 mins after our reservation, had a grumpy waitress and were underwhelmed by the food. Still awesome to be inside the castle.

We love CRT and don't care all that much for Akershus. My DD has always been a character and Princess fanatic and for years we had to do both every trip. Since Enchanted Tales with Belle opened, Akershus has been the only place to get a decent interaction and photo with Belle in her yellow dress. However, I would note that we have had at least two times where a photographer has been rushing kids through so fast that Belle herself became unhappy with the photographer- and once that Belle was even apologizing to the guests. Typically though, unless you have photographer issues, it is a really good interaction with Belle and the photograph generally turns out well. For a kid whose favorite is Belle, it is definitely worth it.

We have felt rushed many times there. I have heard reports of people feeling rushed at CRT, but we have never once felt rushed there. At Akershus, we had one time where we sat down and were handed the menus and the server stood there as we were handed the menus waiting for our order. He didn't even give us time to look at the menu. I nicely said "Could we have a minute" and he said "Yes" and then continued to stand at the table waiting until we ordered. We have almost always felt rushed in that restaurant. One time they took DD's plate without asking while she was still eating.

There isn't much in the way of atmosphere there, unlike the castle. The tables are very close together. One time we were seated near the salad bar/buffet and people bumped into my chair about once a minute (or more) the entire meal as they were going to that area. It became a huge joke. DD and DH thought it was hilarious. If you mention Akershus, it is still the first thing you will hear them both talk about. Because the tables are close together, depending on where you are seated, it can be hard to get a decent picture with the Princesses.

The food has been inconsistent. At times it has been really good and other times just meh. It has never been awful though. It has always been okay. Basically, we only went there for the meet and greet and photo with Belle, and because if there was a meal that involved Princesses, DD wanted to be there.

Have you thought about maybe doing a late CRT lunch after the BBB appointment? We used to always do CRT lunch after the BBB appointment while the hair and rest of it were all still fresh. Really, if all your DD cares about is princesses, she will probably be fine either way. If Belle is her favorite, she may love Akershus. We have seen Cinderella there making the rounds with the tables every time that we have been there, so unless something has changed, you should still be able to get a picture with her too- just not the nice formal picture.

We love CRT and don't care all that much for Akershus. My DD has always been a character and Princess fanatic and for years we had to do both every trip. Since Enchanted Tales with Belle opened, Akershus has been the only place to get a decent interaction and photo with Belle in her yellow dress. However, I would note that we have had at least two times where a photographer has been rushing kids through so fast that Belle herself became unhappy with the photographer- and once that Belle was even apologizing to the guests. Typically though, unless you have photographer issues, it is a really good interaction with Belle and the photograph generally turns out well. For a kid whose favorite is Belle, it is definitely worth it.

We have felt rushed many times there. I have heard reports of people feeling rushed at CRT, but we have never once felt rushed there. At Akershus, we had one time where we sat down and were handed the menus and the server stood there as we were handed the menus waiting for our order. He didn't even give us time to look at the menu. I nicely said "Could we have a minute" and he said "Yes" and then continued to stand at the table waiting until we ordered. We have almost always felt rushed in that restaurant. One time they took DD's plate without asking while she was still eating.

There isn't much in the way of atmosphere there, unlike the castle. The tables are very close together. One time we were seated near the salad bar/buffet and people bumped into my chair about once a minute (or more) the entire meal as they were going to that area. It became a huge joke. DD and DH thought it was hilarious. If you mention Akershus, it is still the first thing you will hear them both talk about. Because the tables are close together, depending on where you are seated, it can be hard to get a decent picture with the Princesses.

The food has been inconsistent. At times it has been really good and other times just meh. It has never been awful though. It has always been okay. Basically, we only went there for the meet and greet and photo with Belle, and because if there was a meal that involved Princesses, DD wanted to be there.

Have you thought about maybe doing a late CRT lunch after the BBB appointment? We used to always do CRT lunch after the BBB appointment while the hair and rest of it were all still fresh. Really, if all your DD cares about is princesses, she will probably be fine either way. If Belle is her favorite, she may love Akershus. We have seen Cinderella there making the rounds with the tables every time that we have been there, so unless something has changed, you should still be able to get a picture with her too- just not the nice formal picture.
Thanks for your post. I have a feeling this is what might happen to us and I'll be shunned by the family :rotfl:

I enjoyed both the food and atmosphere at Akershus MUCH better than CRT. I felt like that one wasn't worth the price. And Belle was there when I went; I know they change sometimes, but I imagine she'll most likely be there. It was her, Ariel, Aurora, Jasmine-- and I can't remember if the last was Snow White or Cinderella.

We've done both. CRT is amazing, of course. But we did Akershus the following year and were SO pleasantly surprised! Great character interaction, and I loved the combo of buffet/family style/individual ordering. This year we're headed back with a new princess fan (my youngest is turning 4)...while I'm excited to hopefully take her into the castle, I honestly think we'd do Akershus instead, but for the fact that we're actually skipping Epcot this trip. Since you're right there anyway, and have never done it? Definitely give it a try IMO.

We LOVE breakfast at Akershus, but didn't love dinner the time we ate there. The cold appetizer bar was really good though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter