AK RD same day as W&D Half?

WishUponAStarryNight

DIS Veteran
I'm planning to RD AK on Sunday 11/4. Park opens at 9. I have FP for FOP, but want to hit Navi at RD. The half marathon route goes through AK second before heading over to DHS and Epcot. We'll be at POFQ and will rely on the buses. How early should we try to grab a bus to get us over to AK? What kind of traffic issues might we run into along the way? Thanks!

I'm interested in the answers to this too.

We are transferring from POFQ to BWV this day, most likely via Uber. Then boating from BWV to DHS for RD. I'm wondering if we will run into a lot of issues too.

the AK portion of the course is basically miles 4 to 6, with another mile and a half or so on Osceola Parkway. Runners will be on the outbound side of the road coming out of the parking lot and down Osceola to World Drive. THere will not be any blocked roads heading in to AK (only a portion of the outbound side is coned off). All runners should be clear of AK before 8:00 am (the race starts at 5:30). The course heads up World Drive on a southbound turn lane, and does not block off southbound travel. The course does head from HS to Epcot via the walking path to the Boardwalk, so that will not be available in the morning. Friendship boats should be unaffected, other than possibly having to wait for runners to cross the course to access the boat docks. RD at DHS will likely have guests only on the sidewalks and not spread out as runners will be on the streets. The course does not go by the tapstiles or security, but does cross between the boat dock and entrance. FYI - the buses used for the races are chartered, not Disney, so that does not impact regular resort buses. The timing of buses getting to parks is mainly affecting only Epcot for this race, but on Marathon weekend and Princess weekend, can have an impact on all the parks.

the AK portion of the course is basically miles 4 to 6, with another mile and a half or so on Osceola Parkway. Runners will be on the outbound side of the road coming out of the parking lot and down Osceola to World Drive. THere will not be any blocked roads heading in to AK (only a portion of the outbound side is coned off). All runners should be clear of AK before 8:00 am (the race starts at 5:30). The course heads up World Drive on a southbound turn lane, and does not block off southbound travel. The course does head from HS to Epcot via the walking path to the Boardwalk, so that will not be available in the morning. Friendship boats should be unaffected, other than possibly having to wait for runners to cross the course to access the boat docks. RD at DHS will likely have guests only on the sidewalks and not spread out as runners will be on the streets. The course does not go by the tapstiles or security, but does cross between the boat dock and entrance. FYI - the buses used for the races are chartered, not Disney, so that does not impact regular resort buses. The timing of buses getting to parks is mainly affecting only Epcot for this race, but on Marathon weekend and Princess weekend, can have an impact on all the parks.

Is the route for the W&D Half different than the route for the SWW Half? Because I can assure you that day the route did impact the roads to AK, and majorily, till after 10:00.
We were going from BWI to AK that morning about 9:00. We tried waiting on a bus first. And the time kept disappearing in a way that was atypical. Being that we hadn't seen what was happening we didn't grasp why. So we got to the point where we didn't want to wait anymore and called for Uber. We got a driver that was just dropping someone off. He told us he'd take us to AK but he hoped we didn't have a deadline to get there, we weren't getting there anytime soon, and that we were lucky he was nearby because of how bad the roads were.
We got out and saw for ourselves. It was gridlock around AK. Buses were stuck too. That's why we weren't getting a bus TO the resort. I have the records from our Uber trip. Took us over 35 min to go from BWI to AK. We went to AK 2 nights later, took 13 min.

Is the route for the W&D Half different than the route for the SWW Half? Because I can assure you that day the route did impact the roads to AK, and majorily, till after 10:00.
We were going from BWI to AK that morning about 9:00. We tried waiting on a bus first. And the time kept disappearing in a way that was atypical. Being that we hadn't seen what was happening we didn't grasp why. So we got to the point where we didn't want to wait anymore and called for Uber. We got a driver that was just dropping someone off. He told us he'd take us to AK but he hoped we didn't have a deadline to get there, we weren't getting there anytime soon, and that we were lucky he was nearby because of how bad the roads were.
We got out and saw for ourselves. It was gridlock around AK. Buses were stuck too. That's why we weren't getting a bus TO the resort. I have the records from our Uber trip. Took us over 35 min to go from BWI to AK. We went to AK 2 nights later, took 13 min.

Looks like the courses have been the same:

race maps.JPG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter