AK Rainforest Cafe speical? - opinions

super7wdw

Earning My Ears
Our day at AK is planned in a way that doesn't allow us to leave the park to eat. So I need to use a TS credit for dinner there. The day also happens to be our youngest's 4th birthday. My choices are Tusker House or RFC.

We have eaten at TH previously and didn't love the food selection, but we did love the characters. BUT, I don't necessarily know that our 4 year old will enjoy them. The Chuck E Cheese mascot gave him great pause just last weekend.

Also, we are eating at CM the night before... it is a big family tradition.

We live about 20 minutes from the RFC in Grapevine, TX, and we actually went there for his bday last year, which he loved.

I hate using a dining credit on a restaurant we could visit anytime at home. Is the AK location "nicer" or "more special" that the others? Please say yes. Ha!

Last edited:
Our kids love Rain Forest Cafe. We don't have one around us so to them, it's a Disney thing. We almost always eat there on our AK day. We have done Tusker House as well and it was good, but we went back to Rainforest on our last trip. I think it's a lot of fun eating there, the menu is huge and the food is pretty good. I can't say whether it's "more special" than other Rainforest Cafe's but I wouldn't hesitate to book it if you think it's a good choice for your family.

No, it's the same as every other Rainforest Cafe.

Any particular reason you're not considering Yak & Yeti?

There is nothing special about it really. Just remember RFC is all the way at the front of the park, which means it is quite a walk to get to and is quite a walk to get back towards the rest of the park. If you are planning on staying in the park after dinner, I don't know how well RFC is going to work for you. Every time we have planned on heading back into the park after eating at RFC, we have always decided to just head back to the resort. I would recommend TH, Y&Y or counter service for dinner (there are some pretty good counter service locations and snacks around AK).

No, it's the same as every other Rainforest Cafe.

Any particular reason you're not considering Yak & Yeti?
We have been there a few times and 2 out of 5 kids have begged to never return. Ha! Picky eaters.

There is nothing special about it really. Just remember RFC is all the way at the front of the park, which means it is quite a walk to get to and is quite a walk to get back towards the rest of the park. If you are planning on staying in the park after dinner, I don't know how well RFC is going to work for you. Every time we have planned on heading back into the park after eating at RFC, we have always decided to just head back to the resort. I would recommend TH, Y&Y or counter service for dinner (there are some pretty good counter service locations and snacks around AK).

Good point.

No different. Not special. A anywhere USA Chain. We doing waste our Disney time there.

As others have said, the RFC there is the same as other locations in the US and it is at the entrance to the park making it quite a hike to get there and then back to park attractions. Would you consider simply doing QS that day and saving the TS credit for a signature meal on another day? Maybe do Cali Grill or Narcoosee's as a special b-day dinner on another night to see the fireworks?

Just throwing it out there - Satuli Canteen is AMAZING. Very unique menu and super cool theming. I know it's not as fancy as a TS but maybe you can shift things around if you think your 4yo would like it. Otherwise, I'd go to RFC. It's special because it's on AK's property and is seemingly less busy (and your kiddo likes it!).

If you're going based on what your 4 year old will like because it's his birthday, I'd probably stick with Rainforest Cafe. It's not my favorite, but my kids think that it is fun. It's not any different than any other Rainforest Cafe and I do think there are better options for food, but again I'd stick with that if that's what he likes.

In this case, its all about what your 4 year old will enjoy. RFC is fun and to him, familiar, which may be a good thing for the entire family. Let them know that you are celebrating his birthday. Who cares if you have one near you, The McDonald's in WDW is one of the best I've ever had... sometimes, we need to go with what we know we will enjoy! Have fun.

There is nothing wrong with the place. We've eaten there our last 3 trips. Decent food, decent service, and good atmosphere. We are from western Canada and don't have anything like it here so still something different for us.

It likely won't be the highlight of your trip, but ok place to eat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter