Airport Patdowns

JodyLynC

DIS Veteran
So, we are flying for the first time since the girls were 2yo. Thanks to the Internet, there are viral videos of kids getting pat downs at airports. One of my DDs is absolutely terrified of being selected for a pat down. She is extremely ticklish and is afraid if she puts her arms down in reflex that we will all be in trouble with security or police and that she will cause us to miss our flight or even go to jail.

DH and I have tried to reassure her that we will be there and if she has to get a pat down, we will explain that she is ticklish so the officer doing the pat down is aware. This does not console her. She even had her sister give her a "practice patdown" so she could practice trying to control her reflexes. Well, I guess the "practice patdown" ended badly and she was too ticklish to endure it.

She is freaking herself out to the point of tears. Instead of enjoying the countdown to our upcoming vacation, she is stressing out over airport security.

Any tips or advice? Anyone have a first hand experience with airport pat downs you are willing to share?

My first suggestion.

1. Get her away from the vidoes. Seriously! Have her watch the video on here and then tell her "NO MORE" J

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening

2. Her sister is not trained so that pat down is not at all realistic.

2. I have been patted down a lot. Thee's not hing to it. they touch you with the FLAT part of your hand and it's so light she won't be tickled.

My first suggestion.

1. Get her away from the vidoes. Seriously! Have her watch the video on here and then tell her "NO MORE" J

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening

2. Her sister is not trained so that pat down is not at all realistic.

2. I have been patted down a lot. Thee's not hing to it. they touch you with the FLAT part of your hand and it's so light she won't be tickled.

I tried to tell her that her sister does not know what she is doing, but she insisted "she was gentle." Thanks for the video and letting us know about the flat part of the hand. Maybe that will help.

I would suggest not wearing loose/baggy clothing. That's not to say they should be skin tight, but one time I got a pat down because I was wearing a hoody.

If your signature is correct and the girls are 14, there's a good chance they'll need to go through the MRI screening (opposed to the metal detectors). Make sure she's not wearing any metal and takes everything out of her pockets (hold BP in her hand).

I would suggest not wearing loose/baggy clothing. That's not to say they should be skin tight, but one time I got a pat down because I was wearing a hoody.

If your signature is correct and the girls are 14, there's a good chance they'll need to go through the MRI screening (opposed to the metal detectors). Make sure she's not wearing any metal and takes everything out of her pockets (hold BP in her hand).
They told u , you got a pat down for wearing a hoodie? Lots of people wear hoodies... including me lol
It's typically random...
My DS seems to get pulled out of line quite frequently... even at Disney he gets pulled to get wanded etc.
it must be something cause it's fairly consistent... perhaps at this point he is anticipating it, and they pick up in it??
Who knows..

The TSA at MCO see hundreds or thousands of kids a day traveling thru there, there ino reason to be concerned about doing anything wrong.

Personally, we travelled many, many times every year with our son for the past 11yo and he was never singled out for a pat down. I was once and the woman TSA agent was quick and the touches were very brief and light.

My son was selected for a hand swab when he was 7. This is not something I've ever experienced and I had no idea how he would react, especially since he has challenges that make unexpected events difficult. Fortunately, the TSA staff acted as if it was all routine. That was enough to keep him calm in addition to me telling him that he was selected as a "helper". With all that being said, I contacted the TSA afterwards because I started to worry about what would happen if he was selected in the future and it didn't go well. They requested that I let them know ahead of time before going through the security line. I don't know your daughter's situation, but this is an option to consider. I wish you uneventful travels!

I only once had a pat down and it was my completely visible knee below my shorts. I have no idea why they had to do it since it was fully exposed and no scars or anything. It cracked me up because of the obsurdity of it. And in no way would anyone find it ticklish.

every single time - I get a 'patdown' around my ankles. WHy? I have no idea. Maybe my leggings are wrinkled there? it's always quick,and never ticklish at all.

I have had one pat down in many trips. It is fast and simple. They explain everything they are doing at every point in the process. It is not at all ticklish.

I've been patted down a couple of times. It is so quick you don't have time to be ticklish.

every single time - I get a 'patdown' around my ankles. WHy? I have no idea. Maybe my leggings are wrinkled there? it's always quick,and never ticklish at all.

I just got patted down in March and April and then 2 weeks later in April no pt down. Same airport too.

March it was my waste band where they had to check, April it was my ankle and the wrinkled area (short legs). Neither of those times I was flying, just dropping off/picking up my mother.

To the OP, I am sensitive when people touch me and I was not the least bit ticklish around the dreaded waist when they patted me down.

I had my hair patted down once. Now I always pull it back in a ponytail before I go through security.

One time the TSA agent was told to check my wrist after I walked through the machine. I was wearing a short-sleeved shirt so he wasn't sure why; my wrist was clearly visible. I wear my watch loose, and the face of the watch had slipped to the side. I think that was the problem.

I had my hair patted down once. Now I always pull it back in a ponytail before I go through security.

One time the TSA agent was told to check my wrist after I walked through the machine. I was wearing a short-sleeved shirt so he wasn't sure why; my wrist was clearly visible. I wear my watch loose, and the face of the watch had slipped to the side. I think that was the problem.

I keep all jewelry in my carry on bag and put it on after security.

I wear long dresses. I get selected every time for a pat down every time. I have been told the long dresses are a religious habit and must be inspected. I also have a metal hip, which sets off the metal detectors. So between the two, I am a pat down expert.

I tell you this to pass on to your daughter. The pat down is firm but quick. It never tickles. I have moved during the pat down and never been reprimanded by TSA. They won't arrest her if she moves or giggles. They will just have her start over by raising her arms. Looking far away during a pat down will help her hold her balance and distract her from giggling.

She should be fine. Hopefully she won't get selected.

I tell you this to pass on to your daughter. The pat down is firm but quick. It never tickles. I have moved during the pat down and never been reprimanded by TSA. They won't arrest her if she moves or giggles. They will just have her start over by raising her arms. Looking far away during a pat down will help her hold her balance and distract her from giggling.

Yes to all of this.

I had a couple years of always being chosen for pat downs. It is so not a big deal.

Remember that the people videotaping as they and their kids go through security are looking for a fight. They are reacting in ways that upset their children. They are creating the narrative with their reactions and narration. IMO THEY are the problem.

I say hi to the female agent. I apologize for being sweaty (I walk fast and always seem to be sweaty). I move how they ask me to move. Generally they are laughing with me while telling me what they are doing and it's all good.

If by chance you get the rare agent who does do something weird, report it immediately. Your daughter can say "stop" loudly and you can get someone involved. Pat downs are happening right in the middle of tsa chaos. They aren't private or hidden. You will be around and others are there. If she feels uncomfortable she can absolutely say that immediately and forcefully. I imagine that that is already of your parental teaching the kids how to stay safe in the world. This would just be a reminder.

But the likelihood of that being needed is so low it's not worth worrying about it a moment longer.

This! The one time I was patted down, I was wearing a sweater that bagged around my lower back and that is where I was patted. It was very light and quick. If she's wearing a hoodie or a sweater, have her take it off and put it through the baggage scanner.

We fly frequently and I have never been selected for a pat down but my husband gets pulled aside a lot. It is always very professional, uneventful, and pretty quick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter