Airport no ID

I'd let her know that TSA will likely handle her situation in a similar way on the return. She's an adult flying without ID.
She has the option to get a State ID or Passport to avoid this issue in the future. I liked the idea of maybe gifting it to her that was mentioned upthread.

she's not a minor, so it's probably going to be the same going back and they should allow enough time. She should consider getting a state ID card or passport if she isn't going to get a drivers license.

I've never been allowed to vote without ID, so that'd be another reason to get, at the very least, a non-Driver's state ID.

We went through this with my grandmother last year. She let her driver's license expire, because she doesn't drive anymore, and I didn't realize this until we arrived at the airport to drop them off for their flight. She did have to deal with a similar process coming home, but my understanding is that TSA at MCO was a bit more lenient than those at our local airport, so it was a shorter process coming home. Still, allow extra time for TSA on the trip home. And if she has ANYTHING with her with her name and address on it that's official (online access to a bank statement?, prescription bottle?), it might be helpful to have that handy on the way home for proving her identity.

My daughters look a lot older than their ages of 13 and 15 so I went to the Sec of State office and got them Enhanced ID cards this year. Now, when they fly, they have their own ID so there is no confusion at all. I know they are minors and they are not required to have it, but I don't want to take any chances at the airport and try to "prove" that they are under 18 without an ID.

ETA: We do not travel out of the country and we do not plan to in the future so at this point, we do not have a need for a passport.

Last edited:
And if she has ANYTHING with her with her name and address on it that's official (online access to a bank statement?, prescription bottle?), it might be helpful to have that handy on the way home for proving her identity.
If it's not a government issued ID, it's not going to make one iota of difference. Even if she has a bank statement or prescription bottle made out to "Jane Doe", how does that help prove the person is "Jane Doe"?

Not everyone drives. But pretty much everyone needs official ID. That’s why states issue ID cards. As someone with a disability that prevents me from driving, I’m very familiar with these. She should really look into the options when she gets home. You can welcome her to one of the responsibilities of being an adult when she gets back from Disney.

I did not drive until I was 20. I got an ID as soon as I turned 18

I've always feared what would happen if my ID were stolen while I was on vacation. Then I would show up for my trip home without an ID. It MUST happen!

I've never been allowed to vote without ID, so that'd be another reason to get, at the very least, a non-Driver's state ID.

Really? I’ve never had to provide any kind of ID to vote. I just tell them my name and they hand me a ballot. I find it a little unnerving, really.

If it's not a government issued ID, it's not going to make one iota of difference. Even if she has a bank statement or prescription bottle made out to "Jane Doe", how does that help prove the person is "Jane Doe"?
The TSA do what they can to establish some semblance of an identity as part of the extra security you have to go through if you don't have an ID. When my grandmother had an expired ID on her (which is useless) a year ago, they were looking for ANY documentation that could prove she was the person listed on that ticket. And this was at an airport that consistently has far tighter security than MCO. The TSA website also says they will be looking to confirm your identity if you show up without an ID. Every little thing helps.

Really? I’ve never had to provide any kind of ID to vote. I just tell them my name and they hand me a ballot. I find it a little unnerving, really.
Here we have to show ID AND state our name and address to the person giving us our ballot. Even when the person checking us in to vote has known us since we were a toddler. And it's definitely a state law in my state. I recently moved and it's the same in my new town.

My special needs adult son has a state ID, it sort of looks like a drivers license. Well, one trip we forgot ALL his ID. It was a mess at the airport (Philadelphia) but they were so nice. I kept saying it was all my fault (and IT WAS). They finally let us on the plane, after a pat down and permission granted by a high up security person. Last ones to board. Eek. My husband mailed his ID to the WDW hotel so we had it to get home. They were stumped with my son, because he has no credit, no bank accounts, he is invisible to them. they said they have ways to find people normally. They even were saying, do you have a prescription bottle, ANYTHING? I said, I got nothing. (he is non verbal, pretty much, and while he responds to his name, he does not respond to a question like "what is your name?"

If you don't want a bulky passport, I recommend at least a state ID. Our county has them too, but the state one is more official and requires strict ID to be presented to get it.

PS no ID required to Vote in NY/NJ, you just sign your name in a book and they look at the signatures. Most blue states are easy like that.

I can see how this can get overlooked, flying at 17 no ID needed, weeks or months later the teen turns 18 and its required.

OP I would advise the parents to scour the TSA website to see if there is anything they can be sent/emailed to make things easier, school id, paycheck etc. My sister lost her id during a trip and my bil overnighted her work id and utility bill, she still had extra screening but the thinks it helped.

Once they get home I am sure they will be proactive in getting ID before her next flight :)

To save some time here's what the TSA says with no ID:
upload_2018-11-1_18-45-49.png

That was the first thing I thought of. Everyone who's old enough to vote should have an ID.

Requiring an ID to vote is not required of all states.

Getting an ID shouldn't have anything to do with "being old enough to vote"

PA does not require ID to vote. They pull your original voter registration and compare the signatures.

A point for those hoping to use a passport card to fly. Don't waste your money. A passport card is only good for traveling by land or sea. You need the book for air travel.
Almost.

According to https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/card.html,

Entering the United States at land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from:
  • Canada
  • Mexico
  • The Caribbean
  • Bermuda
The passport card cannot be used for international air travel.
The passport card is Real ID compliant and can be used for domestic air travel.

WOW! I wish! You are very lucky! I live in New York and have not ONCE ever been asked for ID, which I think is extremely upsetting but that's a whole other thread on another board LOL

If my 18+ year old child didn't have a driver's license, they sure would be getting a State Issued ID. Actually, I think my ds/dd (20 and 25) had one at some point before they were able to drive. Everyone should always carry some form of State Issued ID.

I was back here looking to see if the person had returned yet but I guess OP will let us know when they do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter