Airport no ID

maxiesmom

The Mean Squinty Eye Works
So my 18 year old niece and her dad are on their way to Orlando after a struggle at the airport. She does not have a driver's license and was subject to a thorough Pat down and a lot of questions before they agreed to let her thru security.

They are on their way fine but is there anything they can do to make flying back home easier? Just don't want them to deny her boarding.

So my 18 year old niece and her dad are on their way to Orlando after a struggle at the airport. She does not have a driver's license and was subject to a thorough Pat down and a lot of questions before they agreed to let her thru security.

They are on their way fine but is there anything they can do to make flying back home easier? Just don't want them to deny her boarding.

at 18 she should have some form of ID (even if it's a state issued ID or a passport and not a driver's license). I can't think of any form of documentation at her age that would make things easier at TSA, but it might help to call the airport they'll be departing from and find out from them what would be acceptable proof of identity in the absence of a state or federal issued ID.

OP said niece doesn't have a driver's license. When she gets home, she should get some form of ID.
Our state has them for people who don't drive.
Security should have her ticket flagged that she flew there, so flying home should be okay. "Should".
But she does need to get some form of ID.

I was curious about this so I went to the TSA website. It looks like the process she went through (extra questions to confirm her identity plus a patdown) is the standard procedure for folks who are flying without proper identification. So I would just say plan on getting to the airport a little early and expect the same process on the way back, and then have her get a state issued ID when she gets home.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

Not everyone drives. But pretty much everyone needs official ID. That’s why states issue ID cards. As someone with a disability that prevents me from driving, I’m very familiar with these. She should really look into the options when she gets home. You can welcome her to one of the responsibilities of being an adult when she gets back from Disney.

Was she unaware of the id requirements to fly? She went through the normal procedure for those with no id and will be subject to it on her return as well. The fact that she went through security already is meaningless.

I think it totally slipped her and her parents minds. I'm just glad they let her on the plane.

I wouldn't bother getting a passport card. It's probably more expensive then a state non driver ID card. If you're going the passport route get the book. Card only makes sense if you drive to MX or CA a lot. Book let's you fly international

I can see how this can get overlooked, flying at 17 no ID needed, weeks or months later the teen turns 18 and its required.

OP I would advise the parents to scour the TSA website to see if there is anything they can be sent/emailed to make things easier, school id, paycheck etc. My sister lost her id during a trip and my bil overnighted her work id and utility bill, she still had extra screening but the thinks it helped.

Once they get home I am sure they will be proactive in getting ID before her next flight :)

I can see how this can get overlooked, flying at 17 no ID needed, weeks or months later the teen turns 18 and its required.

There are some 16 year olds that look 20. And some 20 year olds that don’t look 16 yet. At some point you have to understand that TSA is not going to take someone’s word for it that a young man or woman is still under 18. My daughters had driver’s license at 16, but they had passports, and brought them with them, much earlier. If your child doesn’t want or need a driver’s license at 16 and they are using public airlines I’d get them an ID at that point. No need to wait until they turn 18.

OP I would advise the parents to scour the TSA website to see if there is anything they can be sent/emailed to make things easier, school id, paycheck etc. My sister lost her id during a trip and my bil overnighted her work id and utility bill, she still had extra screening but the thinks it helped.

Once they get home I am sure they will be proactive in getting ID before her next flight :)

But don't you have to enter your birth date to buy the ticket? I would expect to have to prove age after entering a birth date of 18 or higher.

Similar happened to relatives last year. Daughter was 19 and is disabled in a wheelchair. They never thought about and were only driving home, so did not realize on an outbound flight. She does not drive at all yet (maybe in future). When they got home, they immediately made an appointment at the DMV to get her a state ID even though she does have a passport. They wanted her to have something to carry at all times. It is just a good idea.

Well I don't have to enter my dd's info when I book them a ticket as they have FF#s and yes I agree being pro-active is a good idea. My kids happened to have passports and a license at 18 so it wasn't an issue.

This is all good advice for folks reading along - and I agree getting some type of ID in advance of turning 18 is a good idea.

However - I was just stating my personal opinion that I can see how it would be overlooked! Not going to defend my personal opinion any further :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter