Airport Check-in Question

Karen Palmer

Earning My Ears
Hope someone can shed some light on this.

I tried to check my son (27) and I in online at Delta.com but they would only let me check in and said my son has to wait and check in at the airport, why would they do that?

I called Delta and said they may be because he doesn't have a return ticket but neither do I and the reason is we are flying back with another airline.

Of course I am worried now.

No, he hasn't had any issues with the law.

Thanks!

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

I tried to check my son (27) and I in online at Delta.com but they would only let me check in and said my son has to wait and check in at the airport, why would they do that?

I called Delta and said they may be because he doesn't have a return ticket but neither do I and the reason is we are flying back with another airline.

Of course I am worried now.

No, he hasn't had any issues with the law.

Thanks!
When our entire family flew down last January our kids ALL had trouble on the return leg being able to do on-line check in. No explanation, just had the message "check in not available" We were able to check-in for our WestJet leg down but not the Delta connection (we had a last minute change due to weather that involved switching at La Guardia) --- again , no explanation. If you have his confirmation, AND you are ok on the same flight, I wouldn't worry. I'm not sure how they do seat assignments with Delta but just make sure yours has an empty seat beside it if you want to sit together.

When our entire family flew down last January our kids ALL had trouble on the return leg being able to do on-line check in. No explanation, just had the message "check in not available" We were able to check-in for our WestJet leg down but not the Delta connection (we had a last minute change due to weather that involved switching at La Guardia) --- again , no explanation. If you have his confirmation, AND you are ok on the same flight, I wouldn't worry. I'm not sure how they do seat assignments with Delta but just make sure yours has an empty seat beside it if you want to sit together.

He already has his seat assignment and we are coming from Canada.

Maybe it is just a random flag.

Thanks for your reply.

If this is Delta out of Canada, it is probably because he has been randomly chosen for extra screening at US customs. This happened to my son as well on a trip out of Ottawa (would have been AC or WJ). We were unable to get his boarding pass as a result, but the rest of the family did.

It could also be that there is a simple issue with his documentation. Does his name on Delta exactly match his passport? Minor discrepancies can cause slowdowns and unable to checkin online. I found this out because I use my middle name, but my passport has my full name.

If this is Delta out of Canada, it is probably because he has been randomly chosen for extra screening at US customs. This happened to my son as well on a trip out of Ottawa (would have been AC or WJ). We were unable to get his boarding pass as a result, but the rest of the family did.

It could also be that there is a simple issue with his documentation. Does his name on Delta exactly match his passport? Minor discrepancies can cause slowdowns and unable to checkin online. I found this out because I use my middle name, but my passport has my full name.

I think that's what it is, random screening.

Yes his name matches his passport.

I've randomly had that problem but none checking in at the desk. I've even had problems using the kiosks to get boarding passes with my Nexus card in US airports which always seem to give me an error (claims the name doesn't match - it does) so I have to go to the desk. They never seem to have a problem with it. Occasionally DH has had an issue checking in online when returning to Canada - no reason given. I couldn't check in online for Air Canada from Ottawa to Toronto in June but had no problems with Westjet Toronto to Ottawa on that same trip. But then had no problems checking in at the Air Canada kiosk in Ottawa. Glitch, random intentional, minor issue easily resolved by desk personnel who won't disclose why for security or other reasons - take your pick. In the end, we always get boarding passes without a fuss. I'm sure it's the same for him.

We just returned from DL on Wednesday and couldn't check in on line. We already had seat assignments. It wasn't a big deal since we had to go to the desk anyway to check baggage. I got TSA pre check woohoo!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter