Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Sounds like you two had a good time in Toronto today!

So you were able to use Gift cards to purchase more gift cards SHell? On the Sobey website states "Cards can be used for all in-store purchases except another Corporate Gift Card (grocery, fuel or liquor) or as prohibited by law" ??

Yes, I know it says that but I have been able to every time. So far. Knock-on-wood!

I just came back from Foodland where I purchased $86.72 (pre-tax) in groceries and used the STB coupon. PLUS on that same transaction the Cashier (at the Customer Service Desk) rang in TEN $25 Shell gift cards. My total came to $337.37 (groceries, taxes, Shell gift cards) and I paid it all by the Foodland/Sobeys gift cards I purchased yesterday. I NEVER ask if this is allowed. I just place the gift cards in with the groceries and when the Cashiers tell me the total I hand them the F/S gift cards one at a time to pay.

I really wanted $450 in Shell gift cards ($100 and $50 ones) but they only had the $25 Shell gift cards. I'm not sure what is going on there. The Sobey's I went to yesterday only had the $25 Shell gift cards as well. So strange. They have always had a choice of $100, $50 and $25. Even the Manager at Foodland tonight was surprised. There was none on the rack. She had to go to the Manager's office and scrounge up the $25 ones.

Next week I'll try another Sobey's for TWO $100 Shell gift cards. Then I'll have converted $750 of grocery gift cards into $750 Shell gift cards.

EDITED TO ADD: my husband is not thrilled with all the $25 Shell cards. While my tank normally puts $25-$28 in, he tends to put in closer to $30. So he will have to carry 2 or 3 cards from now on.

Last edited:
Aren't you the lucky one!!! I'm glad one of us got it! I bought 2 of the calendars btw
Thanks. It was a good day. Hope I saved some good luck for Lotto Max. Oh and we bought 3 of those calendars. Will save them for later as we already have the other Lindt advent calendars and chocolate is good anytime.
Oh and did also go to Sobey's fresh and got the gift card.

Sounds like you two had a good time in Toronto today!

Yes, I know it says that but I have been able to every time. So far. Knock-on-wood!

I just came back from Foodland where I purchased $86.72 (pre-tax) in groceries and used the STB coupon. PLUS on that same transaction the Cashier (at the Customer Service Desk) rang in TEN $25 Shell gift cards. My total came to $337.37 (groceries, taxes, Shell gift cards) and I paid it all by the Foodland/Sobeys gift cards I purchased yesterday. I NEVER ask if this is allowed. I just place the gift cards in with the groceries and when the Cashiers tell me the total I hand them the F/S gift cards one at a time to pay.

I really wanted $450 in Shell gift cards ($100 and $50 ones) but they only had the $25 Shell gift cards. I'm not sure what is going on there. The Sobey's I went to yesterday only had the $25 Shell gift cards as well. So strange. They have always had a choice of $100, $50 and $25. Even the Manager at Foodland tonight was surprised. There was none on the rack. She had to go to the Manager's office and scrounge up the $25 ones.

Next week I'll try another Sobey's for TWO $100 Shell gift cards. Then I'll have converted $750 of grocery gift cards into $750 Shell gift cards.

Shhhhhh.....................
Hugs
Mel

I would have chosen the cheaper option too but for Montreal the only choice was section 103 for 5750 AM. As for who is going to go with DD, I think DH is already mentally prepared to go with her since he knows I’m not a big fan of crowds and loud music (he is).

Have you received the electronic tickets yet? I only received the receipt...
No not yet..but not worried

got a safeway shop this afternoon to count towards shop the block. my local safeway is always a bit frustrating. the biggest pain: the produce section is never very fresh, and for safeway prices i really hate not getting everything in one place. it means i’m spending extra time and extra money. but today feels like the shop that’s finally pushed me too far. nothing huge happened, but on top of the usual disappointments they were so severely understaffed and (maybe consequently) outright rude.

i won’t be doing much more grocery shopping this year (vacation and then lots of time with my parents/in laws for the holidays), but i think the start of 2019 is when i’ll switch over to pc points at no frills. i’ll still do blue friday’s and big event coupons, but right now it feels like i’m paying to earn miles! here’s hoping the savings are a bit more obvious in the world of pc points...

oh and also: the air miles event you Ontarians are enjoying today looks neat, and it sounds like great deals!

got a safeway shop this afternoon to count towards shop the block. my local safeway is always a bit frustrating. the biggest pain: the produce section is never very fresh, and for safeway prices i really hate not getting everything in one place. it means i’m spending extra time and extra money. but today feels like the shop that’s finally pushed me too far. nothing huge happened, but on top of the usual disappointments they were so severely understaffed and (maybe consequently) outright rude.

i won’t be doing much more grocery shopping this year (vacation and then lots of time with my parents/in laws for the holidays), but i think the start of 2019 is when i’ll switch over to pc points at no frills. i’ll still do blue friday’s and big event coupons, but right now it feels like i’m paying to earn miles! here’s hoping the savings are a bit more obvious in the world of pc points...

oh and also: the air miles event you Ontarians are enjoying today looks neat, and it sounds like great deals!

Hi Hon
I am sorry your shop was so crappy today--Hugs to you.I feel retail staff are so overworked and underpaid that the Holiday season is stressing them out so much more.
I tried a new store for me a few days ago--one of my sons went with me,,,,,,,,,,,yikes,,very disorganized place,,or maybe just not what I am used to.
It was a local Fresh Co,,it was nice to be able to use the Sobeys Gift Cards there but not the place I want to do my main shopping at.
Starting in January my sons are back on the *them paying* for groceries so I can also see us doing a fair amount of shopping at *No Frills*.
Sometimes I supplement their shopping with Rexall,Metro,Sobeys and Foodland and sometimes Giant Tiger ---if the deal or price is right.
I do super stock up on things like ,toilet paper,bleach,kleenex,and laundry soap.
I must admit "Ontario Blue Fridays" are good.
Everything I read is saying food prices are going up in 2019 ,,,,so I say where ever you can get the best bang for your buck is the place to shop.
Hugs to you because you are making the best decisions for your family
Hugs
Mel

Hi Hon
I am sorry your shop was so crappy today--Hugs to you.I feel retail staff are so overworked and underpaid that the Holiday season is stressing them out so much more.
I tried a new store for me a few days ago--one of my sons went with me,,,,,,,,,,,yikes,,very disorganized place,,or maybe just not what I am used to.
It was a local Fresh Co,,it was nice to be able to use the Sobeys Gift Cards there but not the place I want to do my main shopping at.
Starting in January my sons are back on the *them paying* for groceries so I can also see us doing a fair amount of shopping at *No Frills*.
Sometimes I supplement their shopping with Rexall,Metro,Sobeys and Foodland and sometimes Giant Tiger ---if the deal or price is right.
I do super stock up on things like ,toilet paper,bleach,kleenex,and laundry soap.
I must admit "Ontario Blue Fridays" are good.
Everything I read is saying food prices are going up in 2019 ,,,,so I say where ever you can get the best bang for your buck is the place to shop.
Hugs to you because you are making the best decisions for your family
Hugs
Mel

good point, Mel! I’ve worked retail over the holidays and it really can be awful.

So you were able to use Gift cards to purchase more gift cards SHell? On the Sobey website states "Cards can be used for all in-store purchases except another Corporate Gift Card (grocery, fuel or liquor) or as prohibited by law" ??

I bought Kobo gift cards with my Foodland gift card....bought the $150 gift card and earned 150 AM, turned around and purchased 3 $50 Kobo gift cards and used my $150 gift card to pay and earned another 210 AM...so my $150 purchase earned 360 AM.

Just a quick general AM question - can we use the app to scan our card for using AM cash rewards? I know in the past you needed the physical card, but I don't know if it's changed. It's a PITA to need to actual card, because the cards don't fit in my wallet and I need to remember to pull them out when I want to use cash miles.

My personal experience from last week—I went to an IGA (without the physical card as it had not yet arrived) to redeem 95 airmiles for the last day of the IGA STB offer. I had to wait for Foodland miles to post. They posted at 5:00 pm and I flew out the door to IGA as this was an easy offer to fill. I went to the cash with my small purchase and the cashier punched in my card number from the app and it would not work. They could not scan the app and inputting the numbers was not working. I was ready to cry!! The cashier made some remark about their cash registers being old. This gave me the idea to run to a newer IGA not too far away to make another small purchase. They have the hand held scanners and voila—it worked perfectly!!

I believe that they need to scan the app and in order to be able to scan the app, the store needs hand held scanners to do it. YMMV good luck!!

Quick question....just want to confirm that if there is a bonus AM tied to redeeming your points, that they are added after...did the redeem 95 AM to get $10 off your purchase and earn 50AM...only AM that show on my receipt are the 25 for the popcorn I bought and the 3 for my bananas...

Quick question....just want to confirm that if there is a bonus AM tied to redeeming your points, that they are added after...did the redeem 95 AM to get $10 off your purchase and earn 50AM...only AM that show on my receipt are the 25 for the popcorn I bought and the 3 for my bananas...

That's correct, the miles will eventually post to your account. Metro usually has the notation Metro Head Office, similar to when there is a threshold spend. Rexall seems to either just post as bonus miles or spelled out exactly like you'd think it would be ... used X cash miles earn X miles.

That's correct, the miles will eventually post to your account. Metro usually has the notation Metro Head Office, similar to when there is a threshold spend. Rexall seems to either just post as bonus miles or spelled out exactly like you'd think it would be ... used X cash miles earn X miles.

Thanks Jacqueline....I actually started a book for Shop the Block and am writing down my AM and crossing them off as they post...I wish that the AM site would say, you have completed X Shop the Block promotions, only X more to earn X AM....

So did the coupon work now or did you just get the 75AMs mentioned in the flyer plus a likely call to AM later like the rest of us?

Oh - it was brought up on the other thread that all you need to do is buy the $75 GC. It won't say shop the block or need the coupon. Just save your receipts.

I like this better in a way. I believe it means we get the 75AM in the flyer, and also the 75AM on the STB website.

Oh - it was brought up on the other thread that all you need to do is buy the $75 GC. It won't say shop the block or need the coupon. Just save your receipts.

I like this better in a way. I believe it means we get the 75AM in the flyer, and also the 75AM on the STB website.
I think it’s the other way round. Without the coupon, we get the flyer bonus as STB bonus. No double dipping this time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter